[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KDE Plasma vs. Xfce pros and cons lets do this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: kde.png (607KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
kde.png
607KB, 2880x1800px
KDE Plasma vs. Xfce

pros and cons

lets do this
>>
>>59127455
No Linux DE actually guides a user on how to use the system unlike in Windows and OSX
>>
>>59127487
Thats because its not for casual users. Plain and simple. Of course I would always recommend windows/mac to people that are not computer enthusiasts.
>>
>>59127487
The linux desktop will never come until this is fixed.

As a power user though, I'd prefer KDE as you can slim down its memory and processing footprint by disabling akonadi and baloo which causes all the bloat while still leaving you with a full featured-desktop that eats <600MiB without anything running.
>>
>>59127516
I am interested in this. I am on Manjaro KDE for a bout a year. And ironically the first problem appeared few days ago. App launcher and taskbar icons(sound,wifi,battery,etc.) are delayed to open after I click on them. No I am not talking about animation speed, because when I set that to instant it still gets delayed for about 1 second and then instantly pops.

How do I install the minimal KDE ? (preferably Manjaro)
>>
>>59127487
How do Windows ans OSX do this?
>>
>>59127515
Even for power users, it fails a lot in UX. You can have both worlds. You don't need to spam tons of preferences by splitting settings into expert mode and basic mode.

That's why we have the idea of encapsulation and abstraction in object oriented programming. It's not beautiful code when low-level things are exposed. Same applies to DEs. But you can hide them and expose high-level functions but still allow low level code to be accessed through protected functions but only to related objects that require it.
>>
>>59127516
linux is a kernel, retard
>>
>>59127571
It at least shows the basic "click here and then there to easily launch apps". Windows has a full screen animation of this IIRC. With this, the user at least knows how to begin and where to go to learn more. Meanwhile, in GNU/Linux DEs, a beginner won't even know how to get around things. If there is a guide, it's expressed through paragraphs of text. This is bad as most users don't like reading long text.
>>
>>59127606
Yup. I'm just to lazy to type and hold shift and type GNU/.
>>
>>59127615
t. never used ubuntu unity/kde
>>
>>59127606
>>59127620
And people who can't easily understand context might as well be replaced with machines.
>>
>>59127615
>It at least shows the basic "click here and then there to easily launch apps". Windows has a full screen animation of this IIRC
So you want your OS to cater to actual retards?
I've never seen anyone, not even old people that rarely touch PCs or little kids not figure out how to work a desktop.
>>
>>59127622
I have. And they fail at introducing users to their environments.
>most users don't like reading long text
>>
>>59127455
just try both and use what you like more.
They aren't exclusive, you can install as many DEs as you like.
I currently have i3, gnome and budgie installed.
>>
The UNIX philosophy works fine for power users, but it makes for a shit desktop. With Windows and OSX the kernel and graphical APIs work so well together whereas Linux their seperation makes for a clunky user experience

Case in point: boot time. I dare ANYONE to try get rid of ALL console messages at boot on their distribution and get a decent boot screen with e.g. plymouth. It ALWAYS fucks up.

This might seem trivial but I can guarantee Steve Jobs would roll in his grave if an end user saw a console message on boot. But they won't, because Cocoa and Darwin are intertwined perfectly.
>>
>>59127653
Do you have IQ less than 90?
>>
>>59127646
Yes.
That is what "keep it simple and stupid" means. There are more retards out there than you can imagine. I assume that you are a power user and that you surround yourself with literate people in general which is why you observe this. But if you've seen support tickets for basic things, you'll be surprised how stupid people are.
>>
>>59127661
Actually when I used ubuntu gnome, it had an animated bootup logo, no console output.

So it definitely is possible, but I don't care and have switched to arch years ago.
>>
>>59127681
No. But I assume and make space for people who are.. because many people are.
>>
The fucks wrong with you people? Let all the retards be contained in windows/apple. Why would anyone sane shill for linux desktop, ever?
>>
>>59127700
stock 16.04 plymouth shows sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't, leaving a black console screen. I presume its some form of race condition as to whether or not a module is loaded in time for the graphical output
>>
>>59127702
I assume that there are and make space for them*
>>
>>59127487
GNOME has a guide for how to use it.
>>
>>59127691
>That is what "keep it simple and stupid" means
No, it absolutely isn't. Go read up on KISS again.
>>
>>59127711
More people in Linux = more support from everyone.
>>
>>59127711
We need the idiots, they bring the money
>>
>>59127745
Its more than fine the way it is now, for power users of course. The rest, as I said 10 times now, can have windows/mac. Stop pushing for multiculturalism in cyber world too kek, we dont need subhuman retards that will shit up everything
>>
>>59127777
Hail the Aryan race.
>>
>>59127487
Yeah bro I can count the times I've read "Windows guides on how to use the system" with my fucking fingers, 0
>>
>>59127615
>assuming users are absolute fucking drooling retards with down's syndrome
exucse yourself out of the gene pool pls.
>>
LXDE /thread
>>
>>59127661
Nearly every distro that comes with plymouth preinstalled works without showing any console messages.
>>
>>59127455
KDE
>configurable
>has pretty much every feature you'd want
>comfy out of the box
>resource heavy

XFCE
>runs well pretty much on anything
>making it comfy can take a while
>also configurable
>pretty much no eye candy at all

Go for KDE if you have the hardware, otherwise go for xfce/MATE
Go for LXDE if you REALLY don't have the hardware
>>
>>59127545
I've seen your post on manjaro forums, I don't have the same issue as you do.

Download minimal net installer iso and pick KDE, you'll end up with barebones KDE.
>>
>>59128227
Kek I downloaded net installer 30 min ago ,preparing for format. So is there anything besides plasma-desktop package that I need to install for this to work?
>>
>>59127487
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: nigersaurus.jpg (119KB, 850x888px) Image search: [Google]
nigersaurus.jpg
119KB, 850x888px
This thread has nearly 40 posts and only 1 image.

It now has 2.

Thank me later.
>>
>>59128305
not really, use pacman or octopi to install stuff post install, it's literally barebones
>>
>>59128411
i assume xorg is automatically installed?
>>
>>59128441
yeah, it's a dependancy of kde's. oh, you might want to install base-devel too, in case you ever want to install shit from AUR, but that too can be done post install
>>
I have 6700k and 980TI and KDE doubled my CPU usage lmao, went from 10% to 20%

kek
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.