[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SD cards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (26KB, 347x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 347x360px
I want to put this SD card into my laptop and use it as general non-speedy storage, is this a bad idea?
Also if not, what SD card to get? Was thinking this one
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 307x164px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 307x164px
And how do I tell if my laptop supports the normal UHS-1 or the faster UHS-2 with extra pins?
Or if it would even support the full UHS-1 speed in the first place?
>>
>>59125625
what lappity toppity do you have
>>
>>59125625
Not the worst idea, but an external spinning-rust hard drive will get you more capacity for your buck, as would an upgrade to the internal drive. You'd only do this if you needed it to be flush with the chassis and didn't want to open it up and upgrade it.
>>
File: image.jpg (725KB, 1750x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
725KB, 1750x3264px
>>59125928
HP Envy x360,it's basically identical to an early 2016 Spectre x360
The user manual just says it supports "SD, SDHC and SDXC" which tells me that it supports up to 2TB cards but that's it
I figure if it was UHS-2 with the extra pins it would say so, apparently that's a new standard even for cameras according to online
But even then I still don't know if I would even get 95MB/s using the card in the OP pic with my laptop
>>
>>59125905
look at the device name of the your card reader, probably something like "Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader", then you can at least tell the speed will be below the max speed of that version of USB

>2.0: 480mbps (60MBps)
>3.0: 5gbps (640MBps)

I think if it supported UHS-2 it would advertise that as a feature
>>
>>59125963
Specs always lie. Don't expect good speed out of a MicroSD card, ever.
>>
>>59125945
Yeah I was thinking of external drives, but the SD card I posted is like $60-70, and 95/90MB/s read/writes (if the laptop card reader handles that) isn't bad right?
If I got an external drive i would probably buy a USB 3.1 SSD just to try out those faster-than-SATA USB-C speeds
>>
>>59125987
I have some microSD cards specified for 80 MBps read/20 MBps write. But for sustained copies I get 4-5 MBps typically. The specs aren't even close. Much, much slower than even an old 5400RPM hard drive.
>>
>>59126008
Shit that's not encouraging
Doesn't one of those classifications mean it has a minimum write speed of 30MB/s?
I don't remember, I just learned about a dozen SD card speed standards in the last hour
It would be nice if this SD card I buy happens to be good enough for 4K video, if I get a nicer camera
>>
>>59125987
If you want faster than SATA, go NVME or M.2.
>>59126027
Honestly I don't know enough about it, sorry. The only thing I use these things for is portable music players and still cameras.
>>
>>59125625
It's fine, but they are shit in terms of stability so have a backup of the data.

If you have a lappy with upgradeability just put in a bigger drive desu.
>>
>>59126043
I have an NVME drive though, it would also be nice to have ONE device that actually uses my type c port fully
>>59126045
Yeah but if I replace the SM951 M2 SSD in the laptop Ill have to sell it or something, there's only one M2 bay in the laptop and my desktop already has its M2 slot full. It sucks that my laptop M2 is only 256GB but going through the manual, it looks like a pain in the ass to replace (lots of clips, need to remove battery and wifi to access SSD, unibody shape has no room to grab things)
I would hope it lasts a while, longetivity is the one SD card review I can't find, but I'll definitely only keep replaceable data on it
>>
>>59126079
Buy a bigger m.2 SSD, clone current one to the new one (with a cheap m.2 to USB3 adapter), and format your old one and put it up on eBay.

Enjoy.

Get like a 1TB NVMe
>>
>>59126079
Also why don't you just get a cloud account like Amazon Drive/Jewgle Drive? They both allow streaming of music/videos and doesn't take up space on your local drive if you use their web apps.

Of course you will need constant internet access for this.

Also never buy a laptop with 256GB, get at least 512GB.

Another option is setting up a NAS at home and running Plex for all your media needs and just streaming over their web player on your lappy.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 500x375px
>>59126091
>look up fast 1TB NVME drives that aren't water-boiling 950 pros
>$500+
>3GB/s reads and 2GB/s writes
That would be a tasty upgrade from my current drive in speeds though...
Maybe later, for now $50-60 for an extra 128GB of slow hassle-free storage seems like a reasonable option
Unless I'm missing some deep dark secrets of SD cards, I have to get lucky with the sustained speeds and just not put anything important on it?
>>
>>59126115
I don't have constant internet and I'm a fan of local storage
I've heard of NAS options before but know jack shit about them, is that something I go do from my gaymen desktop (3 free HDD bays, 3 free SSD bays) if I left it on 24/7 or would I need a seperate computer?
>>
>>59126159
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-Hours-Samsung-SM951-MZ-VPV5120-512GB-M-2-SSD-NVMe-PCIe-3-0x4-Gen3-/272453421759?hash=item3f6f7d4abf:g:H-8AAOSw44BYLgPG

Just get a used 512GB m.2, same model as what you have but 512GB version and it should be more than enough. Sell your 256.

Another option would be to get one of these Jet Drives, which are flush to the edge of the laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-Storage-Expansion-TS256GJDL130/dp/B00WGARJIS

I think they're meant to work for a long time.
>>
>>59126184
>I've heard of NAS options before but know jack shit about them, is that something I go do from my gaymen desktop (3 free HDD bays, 3 free SSD bays) if I left it on 24/7 or would I need a seperate computer?

Yeah you can definitely run Plex from your gayming desktop, you can just leave it on 24/7 and since it's idle it won't eat up too much electricity.

Plex is free and once you organize all your shit, you can access Plex via your home IP from your lapdog from anywhere in the world where there's wifi (or even set up a hotspot from your phone) and stream your music/video/etc from your home Plex server. Pretty easy to set up.

Getting a NAS adds an additional cost, but it's all self built and you can actually RAID your drives so you have a constant backup in case of shit. And you can run Plex from a NAS box (they usually run Unix like OSs and you access their settings from your web browser on your local lan. Its very idiot proof).

I basically have a little HP NAS at home with Plex and access all my shit I don't have locally on my laptop. Anything local is either on Apple Music (I'm a Wintoddler) or on my local disk or on my phone.
>>
>>59126232
>I'm a Wintoddler

I mean Mactoddler. But my HP server is running win2012 R2. Also I dual boot to Winshit at home for gayming sometimes, but I'm 99% a MacFag (I prefer it for my work and entertainment).
>>
>>59126195
My manual says the SD card is push-click in and push-click out, so I assume it fits the whole as card in the laptop
That's a more reasonably priced SSD though, I could probably find a slightly slower 512GB Intel 600p for cheaper
>>
>>59126232
I might do that, after finding out that streaming games into your laptop over the Internet is a thing I'm thinking of leaving my desktop on more anyways
>>
>>59126282
But you need to be careful maybe your mobo doesn't support NVMe. Because your SM951 is an AHCI m.2 device (NVMe is slightly faster than AHCI but not by much). I have the SM951 M.2 AHCI 512GB in my Hackintosh and it's blazing fast.

If your SD card is push-click maybe the flush one wont work. It's worth a try tho, maybe get it from Amazon see if it works if not return it (Amazon is great with Return and its all free and fast).

>>59126302
The nVigaya streaming service looks enticing but don't forget that shit will have lag and its like $20 for 5 hours which is retarded.
>>
>>59126422
My SM951 is the NVME version (there is one), I made sure through tests that it was the right speed. Also Speccy said it was NVME before I did a fresh install and it's now "unknown"
And I'm talking about Steam streaming, just tried it out last night and aside from the disgusting video quality and occasional CPU stutters (I guess the i5 really was a meme) it works great and smooth
>>
>>59126468
You may be right. My SM951 is AHCI however. Maybe there's 2 versions.

But yeah, maybe get a used one of the same model and just swap it out with the 512GB version. That's what I would do anyway -- fuck the warranty. I'm sure it's not that hard to replace it if you took a bit of your time to do it. I buy used SSDs all the time.

>links related

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hp-spectre-x360-SSD-replacement/td-p/5264755

And yeah i5 is a meme.
>>
>>59125963
Better get a small usb 3.0/1 zip disquette
>>
>>59126733
I just found out my USB-C port is actually USB 3.1 Gen 1, the spec formerly known as USB 3.0
5Gbps only, same port as a 2015 MacBook, slightly slower than SATA
Forget the SD card I should just kill myself
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.