[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMD are still scared Intel will outspend, outflank and outmuscle Ryzen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: jer01nov14BAZ.jpg (145KB, 1500x1054px) Image search: [Google]
jer01nov14BAZ.jpg
145KB, 1500x1054px
>In the early 2000s AMD managed to create an x86 processor architecture which gave Intel’s a swift kick in the branch predictors and propelled them into a position of having a technologically superior product to that of their long-time rivals.

>But having that tech lead wasn’t enough to keep Intel from ruling the roost when it came to getting product into the PCs people actually bought. In 2001 AMD filed a complaint to the European Commission alleging Intel was engaging in dodgy practices to stop their current and potential CPU customers from using AMD chips.

>That was eventually upheld in 2009 with the EC finding Intel in breach of Article 82 of the European Commission Treaty by making alleged “payments to prevent the sales of specific rival products.” The EC imposed a fine of $1.4bn, which at the time - when Intel was back to its silicon dominating best - was kinda like loose change down the back of the sofa to them, but gave a beleaguered AMD a much-needed cash injection.

>While the money helped AMD's cashflow in 2009 the damage to the business, and to the psychology of the company as a whole, was great and is still being felt today.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-fear-intel-ryzen-reprisal
>>
>>59123827
>gave a beleaguered AMD a much-needed cash injection.
I'm pretty sure that fine was meant to go to the EU for subsidized laptops.
And I'm certain it hasn't been payed.
>>
>>59123827
>While the money helped AMD's cashflow in 2009 the damage to the business
Intel never paid it, there was even an appeal in mid 2016
>>
File: 74b.jpg (29KB, 252x291px) Image search: [Google]
74b.jpg
29KB, 252x291px
Top comment:

>It's upsetting to have to say, but should be said. As an IT Director I have already been approached by an Intel representative to discuss the "special promotions" and "Incentive rebates" that they are willing to offer me for purchasing exclusively Intel powered servers. I was not well received when I explained that I would not be purchasing anything until I see the benchmarks of the new Ryzen (naples) core and compare the cost-to-performance ratio. It was at that point they made it very clear that they would go to great lengths from a financial standpoint to incentivize me to NOT purchase AMD chips.

>These are the tactics that were used back in the day that AMD had feared would be used again. Intel offered "loyalty rebates" and other clever promotions to hide the fact that they were paying customers to lock out the competition. I sincerely hope that other IT Directors and all in IT in general do what's best for the industry and choose based off of what's best for the consumer and their environment. The rebates are nice and all, but if we continue to hurt AMD for a small rebate, we destroy AMD's ability to compete and enable Intel to continue their "Tick-Tock" releases and oppressive pricing.

>Be aware folks, Intel is scared and is already looking to use their weight and $'s to NOT out innovate, but to obstruct competitions ability to enter the marketplace. Why else would they be contacting and attempting to "Incentivize" customers well before the launch of AMD's server chips in Q2-Q3?

>Sorry for the rant, but these past few years from Intel have been terrible from a pricing and tech innovation standpoint. I would hate to see AMD get the shaft after building such a great product over the last 5 years with the help of Jim Keller and AMD architect Mike Clark. They did such a great job turning the CPU division around it should have the ability to be judged on its own merits and not locked out by Intel to prolong the CPU stagnation in the market.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.