[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /g/ think about macOS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

now hang on a second. I'm talking about the OS/kernel itself, not the hardware it is attached to. purely from a software level.

is macOS the rich mans linux?
>>
>>59122649
Drop 40 gigs of stuff into a new folder and call it "test". Make a new folder and also name that one "test". Post result.
>>
>>59122649
It works well enough and it's stable. I kind of regret getting a Mac. I don't do anything with this that I don't do with Debian. Not nearly as good as advertised and I wouldn't bother to use this OS if I wasn't using Apple hardware. Mac OS is also not for rich people. It'll work the same regardless of how much is in your bank account and you can install it for free on a $100 used Thinkpad.

6/10 because it's just BSD with a mediocre DE and I can enable root. I was a little disappointed in all of the botnet apps that came with it. I also had to dig around forever to delete all the Spotlight and Siri files.
>>
>>59122649
Impossible to talk about fagOS without talking about the hardware. The entire OS is built around this shitty idea of the 2 click touchpad.
>>
I like it... but Finder is pretty awful. They really should redesign it.
>>
>>59122649
Sticking to El Capitan. I literally see no reason to upgrade now that rootless is in place.
>>
>>59122883
>Finder is pretty awful
why?
>>
>>59123102
>rootless
I disabled that. Only tech illiterates wouldn't want root.
>>
>>59122649
macOS is an operating system
Linux is a kernel
>>
>>59123123
>tech illiterates wouldn't want root.
I see...
>>
>>59123113
It's slow ass fugg when connecting to samba shares

The 'replace folder' behavior is retarded

...it just doesn't feel as good as eg. Cinnamon's file manager
>>
>>59122649
>is macOS the rich mans linux?
MacOS is what people who used Solaris now uses. Nobody switches from UNIX to Linux and likes it.
>>
>>59123153
>>The 'replace folder' behavior is retarded
Ok, don't use it that often but yeah, it's awful

>...it just doesn't feel as good as eg. Cinnamon's file manager
Or even explorer for that matter.

Yeah, I think I've been using it for too long now to not notice these. As for the samba shares, I just use nfs on a raspberry pi.
>>
I like macos, as a linux user I cant appreciate it, it is better than windows for me, which is just an opinion.

But I can do what I do with a higher level of consumer comfort on macos than I can on Windows.

cd..
cd ..
ls
cd /
ls
helloworld.lua helloworld.rb, helloworld.go helloworld.c helloworld.py
nmap *.*
cd..lspwd
>>
Why does /g/ care so much about OSes? All modern OSes are suitable for watching anime and fapping to hentai.
>>
>>59123181
Perhaps because there's more than that to do on a computer. Then again if you have ask I wonder if you do anything else.
>>
>>59123197
>Perhaps because there's more than that to do on a computer.
This is /g/, nobody does more than torrent anime and rice their desktop.
>>
>>59123181
/g/ is here, you know where you are right ?
some people study OS's and these people are some of the sorts who would come to /g/

mabe you have come to the wrong board...
>>
>>59123225
Well, I beg to disagree, but honestly it's hard to find people doing anything else with the constant shilling, thread derailing and shitposing over whether you use a given OS or not.
And no, I don't think "where do you think you are" is a valid response for constant shitposting.
>>
>>59123263
Nice English pajeet.

>some people study OS's and these people are some of the sorts who would come to /g/
No, this board is 99% consumer technology and ricing out anime desktops.
>>
>>59123297
and 1% people who will look deeper into OS theory etc.. yet, you complain and moan.

makes sense.
>>
I prefer it but I'm not as insistent about it compared to the days of Snow Leopard.
>>
I remember having a difficult time with OS X over really remedial things. The weirdest shit was unnecessarily difficult like un-hiding folders, putting folders before files, getting audio to play on a different screen, and having Xcode using the most up to date dependencies. And the traffic light buttons with universal menu bar made no sense either. Why would you have traffic light buttons when you control everything else from the menu bar?
>>
>>59123263
>some people study OS's
yeah dude i studied some good silberschatz and I can tell you that the stuff i learned there is downright useless when it comes to picking an OS, so i think you're dumb.
>>
>>59123517
>that the stuff i learned there is downright useless when it comes to picking an OS
tannenbaum reader here. I kek'd
>>
>>59123586
that book is shit as it lacks dinos.
>>
>>59123601
Had my fix of reptiles with the dragon book.
>red edition as purple wasn't even out when I took the module
>>
>>59122649
I like the power management for it's mobile use, but that's about it.

If I there were a linux distro that could offer the same thing I would gladly switch over.
>>
It's the only *nix you can get with a non-shitty DE
>>
>>59122883
if you're not a moron and configure it properly, finder is the best GUI based file manager.
>>
>>59122774
Could someone with a Mac explain this to me?
>>
>mac os
More like FAG OS lmao
>>
>>59123894
>>59123894
not sure what is there to explain, this is what I got though I didn't drop 40gigs worth of stuff in the folder test.
>>
>>59122649
The worst part about owning a mac.
>>
I have it in a VM on my desktop for messing about with web dev.
It's comfy honestly
>>
>>59123140
>Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/admin-guide/README.rst
>>
>>59122649
Beautiful OS.

I just wish Apple allowed additional drivers for let's say Pascal so I could use a GTX10x0 on my Hackintosh.
>>
>>59122774
Why the fuck would you do that you idiot?

Winshit doesn't allow the same file/folder names in the same directory either. Kys
>>
>>59123455
You're a degenerate.

You can either hide/unhide files via Terminal or just CMD+SHIFT+PERIOD (.)
>>
>>59124559
Neither does Linux
>>
>>59122649
Bsd with awful init system and cute desktop. Non-free locked down shit.
>>
>>59124588
Yeah I know, I just don't get why that pajeet poster mentioned that at all.
>>
File: 1487724057911.png (65KB, 216x245px) Image search: [Google]
1487724057911.png
65KB, 216x245px
>>59122649
Seems like a neat os, but the presets apple has on it sound like a pain.
How would you rice a mac?
>>
>>59122649
>Just purchased old MBP to play with
Changing HD is pain in the ass
Had to pirate Yosemite just to make it usable (because you can't get the damned thing from app-hole anymore)
Need special fucked up software just to make linux dual boot.
The best part of a mac is the nice display.
>>
Pretty good OS in my opinion

I'm grabbing an x220 and hackintoshing it because I can. And because honestly everything I'm going to do on that thing can be done with macOS.
>>
>>59122649
It's very pretty and has everything normies could ever want.

Too many quirks for power users though IMO
>>
>>59122649
It is the definition of perfect.
It has something for everyone.
For development or power users it has a very well polished enviroment, but if Mac OS is not enough for you, then it is pretty much compatible with any other OS.
For normies, it is the perfect Social Media system, and pussy magnet.
Games actually works a lot better, now that Metal is a thing. As long as the game is well optimised for Mac OS.
>>
How can I install macOS without an access to a apple computer?
I watched several pajeet videos and tried to do what they did but it didn't werk

SOMEONE HELP OR TRY TO HELP
SPOONFEED ME PLEASE
>>
>>59128099
Stop being more poor and buy the newest MBP
>>
>>59122649
>is macOS the rich mans linux?
It's literally the stupid poor man's linux. let me elaborate.

Normalfag perspective:
>sees apple ads in TV about how user friendly macs are ("computers for the rest of us", aka for idiots)
>friends recommend apple products because they are apple uses themselves
>"minimalistic" design appeals to the retard, he can't predict that the materials used are designed to be so flimsy to break, also ignores how other products are more ergonomic to use since those aren't just slabs of aluminium
>compares $2000 applel product to the only other laptops he's ever used: $300 walmart trash and is amazed how ""premium"" apple is
>begins to use mac OS and since it's a bit more user friendly he believes it's the greatest thing ever
>now stuck in the apple ecosystem, has to buy a new model every 3 years because some of the hardware broke (planned obsolescence)
>likely a dumb poorfag so he has to take a loan just to buy the fucking computers
>even recommends apple to friends and tries to justify his position with unrealistic claims ("muh special functions only apple has", "I have a higher status in society if people see my computer", "it just werks", "muh special application NEEDS mac OS")

>worst of all, he doesn't even notice how much he has been cucked

tl;dr macfags are fucking retarded

I must admit that the system itself it nice, but has some flaws stemming from stupid UI designers
>>
>>59128135
How butt blasted about not being able to afford a mac do you have to be to write a long ass greentext like that?
>>
>>59128135
>>59127944
Average neckbeard bois
>>
>>59128190
not him but the walled garden apple ecosystem is a real thing I saw this trend with ipod and itunes and that is why I've avoided apple products. I've even contemplated iphone but you have to hack it to do illegal stuff.
>>
>>59128119
>MBP
I live in T U R K E Y.
>>
Getting worse and worse filling with useless unremovable normie bloat. I yearn for the days of Snow Leopard again.

Definitely won't be getting a Mac again (had 3 over the years) Going Thinkpad and switching to Linux permanently since I hate Windows even more.
>>
>>59128222
Delusional apple consumer.
>>
>>59128222
>>59128190
>Not an argument
>>
>>59124338
He's wrong. Linux isn't a clone of any UNIX or it's tools; it's just a kernel; a program compatible to UNIX and to GNU.
>>
>>59128099
Get a macos .vdi file for a virtual machine, do it through that.
>>
>>59128475
Thanks! I was trying that just now.
>>
>>59122649
>toddlerOS
also:
>a fucking leaf
>>
>>59127853
Games works like shit. Only game that supports Metal is World of Warcraft. You can't even play most popular games like BF1, Overwatch vs. on mac. CS GO run like shit on mac but gets +300FPS on windows.

Macs are basically pretty shitty systems for gaming. Perfect machines for social media, writing thesis and mobile usage.
>>
What is a good music player for Mac?

I tried Tomahawk but it's complete fucking garbage and can't even load local album art.

All the other players look like ass, so I might as well keep using iTunes l0l
Can't play FLAC tho.
>>
macOS feels like a more polished linux to me. It's nothing amazing but does literally "just work".
>>
Is there a way of hackintoshing without already owning a mac?
>>
>>59129345
yes
googling that would have taken less time than posting here
>>
>>59129359
no it wouldn't of
>>
>>59128243
´So do I, and I am using a MBP for my daily workflow.
Move somewhere else if they aren't paying enough.
>>
>>59129223
They are pretty comfy to write your script on too, however I see your point. If you have the money, then just get a old MBP as your mobile system, and use a Custom Desktop to do the intense stuff. Such as Gaming and Video Rendering
>>
File: 1483950203215.gif (468KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1483950203215.gif
468KB, 500x282px
>>59128135
Just say that it sucks because you can't play your gaymes on it
>>
>>59122649
>runs linux packages
>runs commercial software
macOS is as good OSes get altough its been slowly going downhill ever since Apple started putting more resources into iOS and porting some of its stupid "mobile" features over to macOS.
Mobiles are the new cancer
>>
>>59122649
I use Gentoo, I don't use shit.
>>
>>59129345
Get a .vdi file of a macos install and use that in vm software, using that you can install clover and make a macos installer usb.
>>
>>59129403
>wouldn't of
Don't even bother. It will be too hard for you and you'll give up anyway.
>>
>>59129260
Not many options out there, maybe Vox

Just convert to ALAC
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.