[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do hardware-related glitches come from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: pobrane.jpg (26KB, 239x268px) Image search: [Google]
pobrane.jpg
26KB, 239x268px
see, as far as i know when you compile code, it should be completely unambiguous what the computer should do and in what order. It shouldn't matter whether the instructions are being interpreted and executed by an i3 or a Phenom

I mean, as long as the OS (which also should act the same) provides the necessary functions (which also should have a well-defined behavior) then it's all the x86 instruction set underneath, right?

I'm not going to say "redpill me" because that's a stupid phrase, but please do enlighten me
>>
>>59117188
for two-plus decades, advanced CPUs haven't even remotely resembled on the inside what instruction set streams look like on the outside.

superscalar and out-of-order execution, register renaming, speculative branch taking (and unwinding on mis-predicts), etc. mean that processors are just trying to emulate the side effects of whatever the ISA looks like as quickly as possible.

all these tricks are extremely complicated to design in the first place, then the designers have to make sure they haven't inadvertently violated some promise the ISA already made. hardware mistakes ("errata") of varying severity get found all the fucking time, and it should be at least a little terrifying when you think about how much IRL stuff relies on hardware being near infallible.
>>
>>59117336
So basically what you're saying is, the processor takes what the executable says and does whatever the programmer who designed the microcode thinks is the same thing?

I can't help but wonder if there's a less stupid way to do it
>>
>>59117188

what do you mean by hardware?

theres lots of shit that can go wrong

>malloc

overflows of all sorts etc

The more control you have the more can go wrong. Just look at all the shit bad C programmers have caused so far.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.