[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Noctua fans a meme? Fucking $20 for a 120mm fan? That will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 23

File: fanmeme.png (47KB, 222x167px) Image search: [Google]
fanmeme.png
47KB, 222x167px
Are Noctua fans a meme? Fucking $20 for a 120mm fan? That will probably die in a couple of years?

I'm torn on replacing my dying, stock, cooler master fan with a $20 Noctua or a $9 ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 fan.

Oh wise /g/, lay your pearls of wisdom upon me.
>>
>>59109544
Yes. I bought 2 generic fans for 3aud each a couple of years ago and my pc has no thermal issues whatsoever.
They're like the Apple of pc cooling, unnecessary and unnecessarily expensive.
>>
>>59109544

don't bother with proprietary technology, install gentoo
>>
>>59109544
>That will probably die in a couple of years?

Noctua fans have a six year warranty. You don't have to send the old fan back to get a replacement either. Just snap a blade off and send them a picture and they'll send you a replacement.

>>59109564
The arguments of a poorfag. Of COURSE any shitty fan can provide cooling. You're paying extra for quiet operation, longevity and great support. Can you "get by" with a $3 fan? Sure. You can also "get by" with a Core 2 Duo and a GT 210. It doesn't mean that I'd want to though.
>>
>>59109602
>Noctua fans have a six year warranty. You don't have to send the old fan back to get a replacement either.
>Just snap a blade off and send them a picture and they'll send you a replacement.
Yeah. Because that'll work.
Fucking shills.
>>
>>59109602
Yes Noctua makes magic fans that spin better than any generic trash. They blow 10x the air with 1/10 the noise and power consumption!
>>
I guess they're ok if you get easily triggered by fan noise. Most people could probably get by with cheaper fans though.
>>
>>59109630

It does. I had two fail on me (shitty reseller I think) and all I had to do was send them a pocture of the broken ones.

They also sent me a neat fan keychain.
>>
>>59109651
Yeah, Snapping off a blade. The most obvious deliberate damage will get you a replacement.
Hows the bank balance over at nucturna. Fucking shill.
>>
>>59109544
Nah they're a fucking meme. I've had chink 1000RPM fans in my pc (3 of them) for over 3 years with no issues.

There's literally no advantage to premium fans when you're paying 8x as much for it.
>>
>>59109664

No you idiot, did you read the post?

If the fan fails, noctua asks you to break of a blade and take a picture with your ID as proof it is decomissioned. Then they send you a new one.
>>
>>59109675
You mean to apply physical damage to your product so that they're no longer legally required to replace it for you?
Yeah, nah, fuck off.
>>
>>59109675
This is literally you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbIAOTTpFdA&feature=youtu.be
>>
I've had mine since late 2010, no issues. One of the stock bridge fans for my motherboard has gone on this machine. Hell if I know if they're worth it over a regular fan, the plastic is nice I guess.
>>
>>59109651
this is true, that's their policy. i had my 60mm fan develop a buzz and read someone else say to snap a fin. they wanted a picture, sent it to them and i got a new one
>>
>>59109716
Samefag as fuck.
>>
You still need a fan controller to bring it to 600-650rpm. I like my comp very quiet. Wish I could get it quieter but summer coming.
>>
>>59109694
People will do anything for attention, jesus what a waste of time.
>>
>>59109682
I can see the logic behind this. It prevents someone from trying to get a free fan from them.

For example, if someone is trying to get a free fan, by falsely claiming their original fan isn't working, snapping a blade off will deter someone from trying to get one for free.
>>
>>59109544
20 dollars is.. a lot? Where do you live, Nigeria?
>>
>>59109744
What is glue.
>>
>>59109744
The fan will still work fine with only one blade broken...
>>
Yes. They are loud as fuck unless you use the ultra low noise adapters, in which case they don't move much air.

Pretty much all expensive fans are memes. You are much better off spending all that money on a better case with better airflow. Preferably one that fits 180mm fans.

The only high priced fans that make a difference are Eloops, but they only work if they have completely clean intake area, which in 95% of cases is not possible.
>>
>>59109752
Fuck off. I'm far from broke, but I'm not a fool that will pay for something that's not worth it's price.
>>
>>59109759
lol, you obviously have no clue that a fans blade is precisely weighted, and even if the glue should hold, the extra weight would throw the balance of the blade off basically rendering a precision built fan fucking useless.
>>
>>59109775
You're not wrong but $20 over the course of 10 years is minuscule, your time is better spent on other concerns of more importance. Don't take that as an endorsement either, I mean to say it's not worth thinking about either way, get the cheap ones if you think they're not worth it, or buy these if you think they are. I don't think the time investment is worth it honestly hover I feel the same way about doing replacements.
>>
>>59109789
>rendering a precision built fan fucking useless.
Injection molded plastic is precision built.
Shiggy Mc Diggy.
It takes a lot more than 0.01 grams of glue to fuck them up dumbass.
>>
File: noctua support.png (22KB, 1044x390px) Image search: [Google]
noctua support.png
22KB, 1044x390px
>>59109682
>>59109694

Well if it is fake, who the fuck replaced my fan?
>>
>>59109806
You would need a shiton of glue to keep a broken blade mounted on a fan, dipshit. It doesn't take much to throw a fan off balance.
>>
>>59109831
You been under a rock? There's many glues other than PVA. There's even glues that chemically weld the surfaces together. There's glues as hard as fucking diamonds now.
>need a shiton of glue to keep a broken blade mounted on a fan
Get fucked. I used to use silicon to hold 500kg steel plates in place.
>>
Get a double ball bearing fan. They are very durable.
>>
>>59109544
Fans are fans. When yours starts getting noisy get a new one. You'll get through 10 fans before approaching the price of one Noctua fan.
>>
>>59109775
20 dollars is fucking nothing. You spend more on.. whatever. Coffee. Toilet paper. And that's to wipe your ass.
>>
>>59109929
Can you consume caffeine rectally? If you made caffeinated toilet paper would it work?
>>
>>59109807
>after you receive it
Lmao such fake shit
>>
>>59109977
stuffing wads of toilet paper into your asshole
>>
>>59109977
In the same way you can consume alcohol rectally, probably.
>>
Yeah noctua fans are pretty meme. Yate Loon fans are where it's at. The D12SL-12 is a nearly perfect balance of static air pressure, air volume and audible noise. Nexus sells them with white fins but they are just a re brand of the YLs. Much more attractive and they never fail; I've been running 6 D12SL-12s on my radiator, and another 4 on my case itself since 2008 24/7/365. None of them have failed, and the system is practically silent even with 10 fans.
>>
>>59109544

their older products were really good but the newer 120mm and 140mm are shit.

I have both, so this is from a personal experience. The 120mm with those things infront of the blades cause the sound of the fan to be really fucking annoying. It's like a fast "whirrrrrrr" sound all the time compared to the smooth sound of a fan just moving air.

the 140mm can't run below run below like 500RPM or something, you can hear it trying to kickstart the engine but the blade fins are standing still. And at alow RPM they also produce a loud ticking sound.
>>
rec me a side port fan for an eeepc netbook, got to be thin and move a lot of air
>>
>>59109544
ITT: idiots shitflinging

/g/ doesn't know shit about bearings or anything related to tech.
>>
>>59109544
If you want LEDs then go for LEPA. Cheap(ish),very quiet, and they move a TON of air.
>>
>>59109544

>everyone recommends these gentle typhoon fans
>go pick a few up at store
>work great for a weak
>then start making grinding noise
>reoil them
>good for a day
>grinding noise

Seriously, fuck these things.

Noctua doesn't need oiling right? I might pick some up.
>>
>>59109544
Silent Wings 3 are currently the best available fans. Noctua has the best customer service though, you are treated like a king when you buy anything from them.
>>
>>59109733
My Noctua fan is currently running at 230 RPM connected directly to the motherboard. No need for a fan controller.
>>
>>59109775
$20 for something with 6 year warranty. Compare that with the amount that you will spend to replace all of the dead chink fans.
>>
>>59109544
I got 4.

Great stuff but LOUD AS ALL FUCK on full spin. Mine are the industrial variety and I really cannot overstate how loud they are on heavy load.

On the upside my PC is actually cooling this corner of the room.
>>
>>59110062
/thread
>>
>>59109564
Bar the fact theyre almost silent and have proven to wrok better than the poorfag fans you bought
>>
>>59109630
noctua's customer service is actually fucking brilliant.
>>
>>59109651
Of course they gave you a new fan, since the actual value of a fan is $4 they can give you 3 fans for free and still make money.
>>
>>59110196
when it gets noisy you can change them out literally 2-3 times and still afford a delicious tub of ice cream with the balance.
>>
>>59110226

I have no interest in digging into my case and fucking with my perfect cable management every few months.
>>
>>59109544
They are objectively a meme. Look at actual tests, they perform worse than cheaper fans like Scythe and others.

The only argument you can make is longevity, but that's a bit hard to measure.
>>
>>59110238
>being this autistic and buying into the cable management meme
Kek just tape that shit down and away from any moving parts autist.
>>
>>59110238
>every few months.
You have never owned anything other then the most expensive items, have you.
Pull that silver spoon out your ass and see the world for what it really is.
>>
>>59110238
>fucking with cable management every few months
Noctua fans break every few months?
That's worse than cheapo generics you can get for a few dollars online. Pathetic.
>>
>>59110226
Or just have 5 in your case like I have & then have the peace of mind theyre good for a number of years and then go out and buy a box of ice cream
>>
>>59110271

No, my Scythe Gentle Typhoons broke every few months.

Utter trash.
>>
File: fan.jpg (54KB, 480x576px) Image search: [Google]
fan.jpg
54KB, 480x576px
>>59110276
>5 fans in a case
>he bought into the 'airflow' meme
Just get one big ass fan stupid fuck.
>>
>>59110292
and how does that blow air directly through my cpu radiator?
>>
>>59110271
>Noctua fans break every few months?
He was talking about other fans which supposedly break more often, but he's wrong.

>>59110288
Lies. I've had Scythe SlipStreams for 5 years, still work as good as new, still quieter than any Noctua.
>>
>>59110238
Been using a couple of generics for 3 years now, have yet to open up my case.

The fuck you talking about?
>>
File: plastic cylinder.jpg (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
plastic cylinder.jpg
151KB, 1920x1080px
>>59110308
>>
>>59110244
Can you link actual tests.

I'm interested in new case fans that pump a decent amount of air and are quiet.
>>
>>59110324
Noctua salesmen think that just because cheap fans have a high failure rate it means they all fail at uniform rates.
The truth is that cheap fans just have a higher chance of failing at any point. It's not really that much different if you study the curve. There's a longer warranty on the Noctua, doesn't mean it's less likely to fail.
>>
>>59109544
Or, you know, a decade. Considering they have a 6 year warranty.

They also come with low noise adapters and cable extensions in the box, both of which are top-tier quality, and their bearing design is better than anything cheaper with only other equally expensive fans matching them, but lacking the accessories and warranty.

$20 for a fan sounds expensive until you try to run them on 8.2v or some other odd voltage, at which point a cheap shit fan will buzz/hum like a fucking absolute cunt, meanwhile the noctuas won't give a single shit or make a single noise (if you buy the slower ones).
>>
>>59110340
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section12.html
>>
I have 4 NF-12's that have been running constantly since 2008. NO_PROBLEMS_YET

Noctua are a great company as well and will always help you out.
>>
>>59110352
>$20 for a fan sounds expensive until you try to run them on 8.2v or some other odd voltage, at which point a cheap shit fan will buzz/hum like a fucking absolute cunt, meanwhile the noctuas won't give a single shit or make a single noise (if you buy the slower ones).

Nailed it.
>>
>>59109807
they didn't even complain when i asked for a 2011 kit for my d14. noctua is really an under appreciated company, probably because they don't market to gamer shit.
>>
>>59110344
It's safe to assume that cheap fans will fail more easily, but they're just fans so it's safe to assume that something like 1300RPM generic fans should still last year's.

2000RPM and up though I'd go for something reputable.
>>
>>59110292
Assuming makes and ass out of you
>>
File: noctua_nm_am4_mounting_kit.jpg (108KB, 650x497px) Image search: [Google]
noctua_nm_am4_mounting_kit.jpg
108KB, 650x497px
>>59110377
This is a picture of the AM4 mounting kit noctua make.

They post it to you for free if you have one of their CPU coolers and buy an AM4 board.

This is why you buy noctua.
>>
>>59110394
for
>>59110391
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djz5lCQM9uY

Why not try the pajeet cooling solution?
>>
>>59110377
They really are great, when I bought lots of Noctua fans and heatsink for a new build I took a picture of it all and sent it to them. They replied wanting my address, so I gave it to them and weeks later I got a package with absolutely loads of sheets of Noctua stickers of all sizes and designs plus a metal case badge :)
>>
>>59109682
plenty of small "enthusiast" companies that provide extended warranties and easy replacement policies do this.
>>
File: 1363909052134.jpg (74KB, 283x286px) Image search: [Google]
1363909052134.jpg
74KB, 283x286px
Depends on which fans you are buying.

If you are buying ordinary fans, then you have been ripped off by Noctua.

If you are buying very high CFM fans, along the lines of 100 - 150 CFM, then Noctua is among your best buys. Their Industrial line that is.
>>
>>59110292
>meme
You known this is going to be introduced to the dictionary.
"meme" - term used by poorcunts who cant afford the decent product.
>>
>>59110436
>spending hundreds of dollars on computer fans
Yup, you've been memed.
>>
>>59110436
I think it means you've been duped into buying things that are overpriced.
>>
>>59110445
must be nasty being so poor
>>
>>59110448
Nah it's actually awesome having not spent all my money on 'computer fans'.
I have a castle with a moat now.
>>
>>59110436
>>59110448
||
||>
||
//You see a post and wonder who's behind it.
>>
>>59110454
Pretty much this.
Same reason I bought an i3 6100 instead of the i5 6400. Just not worth the extra for such minimal gains.
>>
>You're paying extra for quiet operation
I bought $5 fans that were very quiet. The difference with Noctua fans, and I've used Noctua fans before, is minimal.

>longevity
Unless they last over 4 times as long as my $5 fans (which have already been going for 4 years and show no signs of wear), it doesn't only not matter, but it's actually worse price/perf.

>and great support.
It's a fucking fan. What kind of support do you need, because it's not any kind of software. Fast RMA process? With how expensive they are, you could buy 4 of the ones I have, throw away a faulty one, and still have two spares left over.

>Can you "get by" with a $3 fan? Sure. You can also "get by" with a Core 2 Duo and a GT 210. It doesn't mean that I'd want to though.

Except that compared to modern hardware, there's a slew of quantifiable metrics that will be in the gutter if you use those parts.

With Noctua fans you're getting, at the very best case, a couple of dB lower noise. I still have two Noctua fans in my case, they work well but certainly not well enough to justify the 4x price difference, and I'd rather have spent those $30 on alcohol or something.
>>
>>59109630

When my Logitech G400s started to have a clicking problem, I described the problem to the support rep and after confirming it was hardware related (I just told them I wasn't stupid, it wasn't driver related) they asked for my address and sent me a replacement (A G402 since my G400s is out of manufacture)

Didn't need any proof, nor did they ask for a return of the broken one. It was entirely my word. I could have just gotten myself a free mouse had I not been telling the truth.

Maybe I got lucky but their support guy was great.
>>
>>59110465
Amen.
>>
>>59110448
The thing is that poor people buy,
while rich people invest.
Big difference. Your mentality says
you belong into the poor people segment
of conspicuous buyers.
>>
>>59110395
If you bought SilentiumPC (cheap but decent cooler brand also from europe), you could probably get a new cooler and still pay less together.

Sure the service is great but you paid for it handsomely in advance.
>>
>>59110151
>on full spin
No shit, nigger. Every 2200 RPM fan is going to be loud as hell if you let it spin at 2200 RPM.
>>
>>59109544

When a built my PC I had one $18.99 Noctua and 5 (Top, side and triple rad) generic $8.99 ones that were either Coolermaster or Deep Cool.

In the years since those 5 cheap ones all died, and so did 2 of their replacements and one of those replacements as well. All I have left is the Noctua running as good as day one, and the 3 on my rad. Luckily a warranty saved me on the first 2 Cooler Masters that died, but not to lucky on the others. The Noctua still has a warranty, that thing is 6 years long.

Cheap out, get a cheap product you'll replace repeatedly. This isn't $600 vs $700, it's fucking $8-10.
>>
>>59110514
Lol wut
I've had the same generics in my pc since putting it together in 2010 none of them have failed.

I've got 3 fans.
>>
>itt my fan bearings outlasted yours and somehow i knew it would be like this.
>>
>>59110114
I bought three of them for $24 each. They are quiet and run relatively well on PWM, but one of them doesn't spin up with the others at the same voltage and starts making a fuckawful buzzing until it reaches proper voltage. I dunno if it's a manufacturer defect or a motherboard defect.
>>
>>59110565
Go around to local businesses. Many excel machines running for 15 years with their original fans.
This isn't new tech. Fans have existed for decades. Stop being so blinded by shillary.
>>
>>59110448
Ah yes, conspicuous consumption. How the people show off their power and wealth to those in their social circle.

>The elite class spend on property, just like the landed gentry has since time immemorial
>The upper class spend on their homes, making their abodes as ample and luxurious as possible
>The middle class spends on their vehicles, acquiring them as well-equipped and comfortable as they can
>The lower class spends on personal items, such as jewelry or cell phones
>And then there's king neckbear, who buys case fans worth their weight in sterling silver
>>
>>59110549
I had three corsair generics that were pre-installed in my case, they all got to be excessively noisy over the year I ran them; to me this rates as broken and warrants replacement.
>>
>>59110586
holy fuck your dense
>>
>>59110622
Everything is about you isn't it.
>>
>>59110589
whats a neckbear?
Nice wall of text but you clearly have no clue.
>>
>>59110656
>whats a neckbear?

Lurk more.
>>
File: rev out of nowhere.jpg (185KB, 641x446px) Image search: [Google]
rev out of nowhere.jpg
185KB, 641x446px
>>59109544
REV IT UP
>>
The Be Quiet! Slient Wings 3 have the best Airflow/Noise ratio than any other fans. The 140mm can run up to 1600RPM and the 120mm is 2200RPM. They will move more airflow than any other noctua fan at the same noise level
>>
I don't remember if I had any PC fan, no matter how cheap, just stop working. I don't know what the fuck people are doing if that happens to them often enough to be worth mentioning.
Usually some just get noisier over time, but that time is like 5+ years, so not worth paying three or four times the price for something that might last a bit longer.

My current build of 4 years has some Xilence Red Wing fans (they were like 3€) and they're still as good as new. Been running at reduced speeds, though, I don't game much.
>>
>>59110665
Oh so you didnt mean neckbeard then?
>>
>>59110729
Pretty much this.
>>
>>59109630
That is literally what they tell you to do, for proof that you're not getting two working fans for the price of 1. They tell you to snap off a blade and take a picture of the broken fan next to a printout of the RMA email. I can give you proof if you want I still have the emails.

Great fans I bought the 3K rpm for a CPU cooler and I'm starting to replace all fans in my case with them
>>
>>59109682
look, you have delt with shit companies for a long time, let me tell you how good customer service works.

on hdds, they take the credit card details, and send you a replacement drive, as your spinning shit, send the bad one back within a month and you are golden.

on mice, razor tells you to cut the wire if you ask for that kind of deal, it just expedites the you getting a new one process,

and noctua instead of sending a broken fan to austria, and waiting a month or two for them to send you a replacement, asks for a picture of the fan being completely fucked and sends you one right away.

good companies do not ask for everything to be returned, they just want to know you don't have the means to use the old one.
>>
>>59110377
because most people hate the color of their fans.
>>
>>59109763
enjoy quiet operation with one wing missing :3
>>
>>59109633
they are some of if not the best static pressure fans you can buy without going for a delta.
>>
>>59111494
uhh im another anon, and i believe you but it would be cool to see the emails
>>
>>59109803
Honestly, look at case use, don't just put 20 noctua fans in your case and think its perfect.

1 large fan on intake to push air over components,
1 fan at outtake to get air out of the system and allow intake to do its job, possibly one fan on the chipset, and you are golden.

personally want one fan below my gpu, one fan behind my cpu cooler and one fan on my chipset/m.2 but yea.
>>
i like the color
>>
>>59110509
If you're not extremely short on cash that bit of premium is worth the time savings imo.
>>
>>59109892
nah, you may get 2 or 3, but that's because I look at cfm above all else, I want at least 100 on all my fans.
>>
>>59111681
isnt it easy enough to photoshop a broken fan blade
>>
>>59111789
I put 2 on the front of my case and then 2 are on my kraken cooler and one at the top of the case.
I wanted more pull in because the 2 1080s take up a lot of space (especially the wires)
>>
>>59111825
fuck no, to make something believable in photoshop is hard, and if they say 'something doesn't look right, can you take a closer picture, you are fucked.
>>
>>59111837
im getting a fuck huge cube case soon, so a fuck huge
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345048

would likely pull more air in then 2 smaller ones and be quieter.
>>
>>59111842
to be honest, i hate this board at times, if noctua do in fact have this policy then they're fucking cool, but theres too many fags claiming its fake for anyone to be able to put any trust into it.
>>
No better place then here to ask right now, and there any good fan controllers with knobs, no lets and are cheap?

I want my fans to be hardware controlled not software as i'm honestly sick of how my motherboards cpu controller handles the damn fan.
>>
>>59111926
you email them, and they will tell you what to do, either send the fan back to them or snap a blade and take a picture, do not a fucking thing till told.
>>
>>59111958
hahaha i dont personally have any need to send one back i was just curious when i saw the thread.
>>
>>59111926
Noctua do have excellent customer sevices.
Even the new boards coming out theyre sending free kits to people so their cpu fans fit.
I had an issue with one fan as it seemed to be catching, They sent me out a replacement and said to bin the other.
>>
>>59109544
>dying stock cm evo 212
Bruh I'm in the exact same boat I need one to replace mine that will work with the brackets
>>
>>59111999
Oh I know, but the way you worded it sounded like someone who would do it before they are told to.
>>
>>59112019
nah man haha i do like this board at times but i'd never really put any trust into it
>>
>>59109544
You get 95% of the performance of those with cheap <$5 fans. 95-99% with <$10 fans.

Anything else is extra 1% and premium brand + aesthetics.
>>
>>59109544
No. The sound they make is very quiet and the most pleasant I've heard. Having a 180mm on my main heatsink still gives me warm fuzzy feelings every time I open the case.
>>
>>59112078
but then those fans make your room sound like the lobby of an airport.
>>
>>59112017
Rubber bands.
>>
>>59109544
You get what you pay for. You can buy a bunch of cheap-o fans that are loud and wear out in a year or two (at which point they sound like total shit), or get some Noctuas that run for years on end and never get very noisy.

My PC has nothing but Noctuas, I can't even hear it.
>>
>>59111872
Well I hve the nxzt 530 cas and thats got room for a fecking huge fan on the front but like I say I went for 2 120mm ones.
https://youtu.be/fvomSrR4NrQ
3m50 they show the big fan aint so good.
>>
File: sunon.jpg (95KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sunon.jpg
95KB, 1000x1000px
who else is using the patrician fans
>>
>>59112383
a bit misleading.

You have a very weak 200-250mm fan pushing 50-100, against 4 i'm assuming delta tier monsters pushing 250+cfm each.

I mean sure it will have a higher peak output, but it also is unacceptably loud.

you ramp the speed down to an acceptable noise level you have also killed off how much air those fans push, still going to be better than 500rpm fan but you are now looking at a significant uptick in cost for the fans opposed to just getting one large lowish rpm fan.
>>
>>59112597
Yes, watching it again its a tad off.
>>
>>59110395
bequiet! also have a free AM4 kit
>>
>>59112616
Also note the smoke tests, where is almost all the smoke? circulating around and around in the front, the graphics card looks to have only stagnant air and oh what fun, all the air is pushed out the first fan so next to nothing is going on with the chipset and its cooling.

Its not necessarily bad, but its also not really good either.

This is one of those tests that you want a full enclosed box and have everything lit up inside to see what is going on with the smoke. because those exhaust fans, I have one in my computer, case is so old it was before front mounted was a thing, and I can tell you based on dust, this thing pulls air in and through the case fucking great, putting my hand behind the case I can feel the air coming out, and if I remove one of my front 5.25 panels, you can feel the air getting sucked in but their test shows no air movement at all... this requires me asking how the hell they did it and what kind of case did they use? Im personally thinking of blocking off every single area of my new case that is not an intake out outtake just so I have more focused airflow
>>
>>59109544
They have very good air flow-per-dB-of-noice. The best, even.
But cost a lot.
>>
File: chilean boy.jpg (72KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
chilean boy.jpg
72KB, 900x900px
>>59109564
So you pay for what you get?

>Small iTX build
>Poor noise cancelling
>Stock fans are super loud on load
>Hyper 212 stock fan is loud as h*ck
>Replace it with an NH-U12s
>Buy three Noctua fans
>Use the LNA
>They run at 850 RPM and about 15 DBA

They're super quiet, I can only faintly hear them and they're about a foot away from my head on my desk. Once I put headphones on it's dead silent, even while playing games.

I also never go over 50c while playing vidya and idle around 28-30.

All together they were about $20 each. So $60 for 7 degrees and about 1/3 of the noise. Definitely worth it.
>>
>>59109544
They are quiet as fuck, like, the quiest you will ever get, but fuck, they are ugly.
>>
>>59109630
This is pretty common today. Like, if you have a defective product they will probably alreadly know, they will ask you to destroy it, send a picture and they will send you a new one. Like, if you buy a wireless keyboard and it doesnt work at all, they will ask you to destroy it, take a picture and they will sent you a new one.
>>
>>59112238
Eh? Rubber bands that yoy fling at people or a different kind?
>>
>>59110395
Every big company is doing that, even cooler master.
>>
>>59113177
Any, as long as they'll fit around the heatsink and fan. Put them in between the fins so they wrap around the heatpipes and not get cut up by the fins.
As long as your fan(s) aren't using some retarded design that has the fan blades stick out above the frame it'll work fine. Won't be particularly pretty, but it'll get the job done.
>>
>>59112776
>Im personally thinking of blocking off every single area of my new case that is not an intake out outtake just so I have more focused airflow

That will just make it gather more dust
>>
>>59110484

Logitech are just bro tier in support.
I once asked them if i could get a replacement cap for my alt key and they apologized because the keyboard was discontinued (it was 5 years past warranty) and gave me a 50% off anything coupon for their shop.

Then I wanted to send in my g602 for repairs (side buttons got squished in) and they just sent me a second one. I fixed the buttons (easy as tits) and gave the new one to my bro for christmas.
>>
>>59109544
Meh. I got a Corsair Carbide 300R case for Christmas and the two fans included are kinda fucking garbage. Quiet but useless. Didn't look like there's much out there worth anything on Amazon. I just ordered two pairs of Corsair AF120s. From what I read they're more powerful than the ones I got with the case, hopefully true. Even if it isn't, I'll get some improvement either way since I'll have twice as many fans for intake/exhaust.
>>59113128
>Hyper 212 fan is loud as h*ck
Is it? Fuck. Hope it's just you. Got it sitting around waiting to be used.
>>
>>59109633
They actually do.
>>
>>59113499
>not having filters on all your fan intakes

now, granted, this just ends up with you having a giant dust circle on the front of your case, but it does help.
>>
>>59109544
>20 dollars
>with brown on brown with no leds
I have corsair fans that work well and they have cool leds for the same price
>>
>>59113979
>cool leds
please leave this board and never come back
>>
>>59113143

>Natural earth tones that fit into any wood paneled or wood floored room.
>ugly

Pick one.
>>
>>59109544
6 year warranty.
>>
>>59114073
>not using blue leds to achieve freezing temps
Get a load of this fucking pleb.
>>
>>59110292
Hook your water cooler up to a car radiator and keep the stock engine idle fans, and hook them up to a standalone power supply.
>>
>>59114113
Do you have a wood paneled case?

I mean, if you did, that'd be pretty sweet.
>>
File: 166.jpg (94KB, 1003x1024px) Image search: [Google]
166.jpg
94KB, 1003x1024px
>>59114420
No, but someday when I have a full on wood shop setup I do plan on making one.
>>
>>59114467
Damn that looks neat
>>
Ive had 3 or 4 Noctuas.

One had a rattling noise. The rest of those are from fucking 2007, with 7-10 years of use. Would not bother to get new Noctuas with a new setup.
>>
Here's a neat empirical story from a retard like myself, it's also the reason why I'm a cuck and why I will always buy Noctua fans.

>~5 years ago
>PC case has 5 fans (3 cooler masters, 1 corsair, 1 noctua HSF) and 2 additional GPU fans
>didn't clean PC for a few months
>got an electronic duster
>went full retard blowing everything
>blow fans till they spin at super high rpms to remove dust
>boot PC
>only the Noctua HSF works

Luckily I was able to warranty the GPU and get a replacement for free, I bought Noctua replacement fans and I learned not to go full retard with the duster.
>>
>die in a couple of years

Are you mentally retarded or just a fucking idiot?
>>
>>59114148
That's dumb, gas and car maintenance costs will cost more than fans/homemade radiator.
>>
>>59109630
How can someone be so profoundly retarded and still manage to shitpost?
>>
>>59109544

For high-pressure work they're great. Such as radiator block work.

I bought one Noctua and used the 3 120mm fans that came with my Antec case. The 3 generic fans were all rattling off a fucking rumba beat in a year. The Noctua works a decade later.
>>
How many 20 dollar fans does your computer have

You know they are good

Why even bother with a 10 dollar fan

Are you from iraq or brazil

This thread does not concern me on a social level
>>
You can pay more than 20 bucks for Noctua fans, especially in Europe
>>
>>59109544
Noctua fans are better but it's difficult to justify the extreme premium.

The biggest reasons to get them are:
1) Longevity/reliability - how many people have you ever heard of having a Noctua fan fail or having one buzz/rattle out of the box?
2) Customer service - there's a reason they have the best warranty in the industry
3) Stability at lower voltages - lots of fans have similar and sometimes even better specs - now try putting that fan on a PWM to adjust the RPM; Noctuas will be solid, others... it's a mixed bag.

My advice is, if you are into silent computing and do run your fans through PWM or straight up lower voltages with a resistor and you're only using a couple fans, might as well go for the best.

If you have 6+ fans... you may want to get something a bit more economical. It gets a bit silly spending as much on fans as you do your RAM.
>>
>>59111775
Sure, I'll get them when I get home if this doesn't 404. On mobile now.
>>
>>59109544
to me, the appeal was that they were significantly more silent than other fans at the same rpm. if you don't care about noise, then by all means don't bother with these.
>>
>>59109630
>something noctua actually instructs their customers to do
>LE SHILLS

God, how can you be this fucking stupid?
>>
There are other fans that are just as durable and silent, but way cheaper and not memes, such as Enermax fans.
>>
I've had one system for over ten years with a few upgrades. I had a set of good case fans (don't remember the brand) which I vaccumed a few times and re-lubed once. still running strong in a friend's PC. several other fans died over the years, including the chipset fan several times, which was always a huge pain in the ass.
now only buying top quality fans to save the hassle.
>>
File: WP_20170207_14_43_51_Raw__highres.jpg (1004KB, 1920x1670px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170207_14_43_51_Raw__highres.jpg
1004KB, 1920x1670px
>>59115635
>If you have 6+ fans... you may want to get something a bit more economical. It gets a bit silly spending as much on fans as you do your RAM.
But if you pay for quality, you'll have 6+ fans that last through your next system, and the next after that, and the next after that... You mentioned all the reasons yourself. The same reasons apply when you need more fans, arguably even more so because more fans means more fans that might fail.

Personally, I have 6 fans in my system, though only 3 of them will be swapped for Noctuas. The other 3 are EKWB's 120mm 2200 RPM Varda, which run just fine on my radiator.
Though I wish I had enough clearance for another set of radiator fans, my 750D isn't tall enough unless I mount one set externally.
Which I guess I could do, but then I'd need fan grills and even then it might get dangerous with my cat.
>>
File: 3LE76_AS01.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
3LE76_AS01.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
i found one of these fans one day and kept it because google said one new was 50$

but comparing it to noctua and kwb i dont understand why it's a 50$ fan when those similar versions (120mm ~70cfm) are <20.

The one i found is ac only, you plug it directly into the wall.

So why's it so much more expensive /g/? Can someone drop fan knowledge on me
>>
FUCK THIS!!!
this noctua shill keep shilling this board is annoying than intel and amd shillers.
>>
>>59118174
The blatant shilling is pretty obvious in this thread. I've used nothing but generics and I've never had a fan die on me.
>>
>>59110395
>you buy noctua because they symmetrically package metal brackets in foam

Just buy apple already
>>
I can't understand this...
I have 5 PC setup in my house right now.

I also build my friend and cousin pc around 30-40 build.

from 2000 till 2016 build..
all using generic fan unbranded shit that still work till today.

did you guys just making up story about generic fan break after a month or a year just to justify noctua charging $20 for a fucking fan??
>>
Noctua are not the only or expensive fans out there, either. Other companies make fans that are just as good or better, some cheaper some even more expensive. Noctuas don't really stand out that much in any aspect.
So yeah, based on how much people mention this brand I'd say they qualify for the definition of a "meme". It's like normies who want to buy a laptop and they don't want to do the research so they buy Apple, because it's the only brand they know.
>>
File: 1481785427062.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1481785427062.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
I just buy the cheapest with ball bearing or fluid or magnetic bearings

Anyone else do this?
>>
>>59113128
Who is this SEMEN DEMON
>>
I use a Phanteks PH-140SP 140mm for my front vertical fan, a Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm for my top horizontal fan and a Corsair Air Series AF 120 120mm for my rear fan. I heard that the Phanteks do well vertically but make noise when you lay them flat, so that's why I have the Fractal. All 3 of them are really quiet and I usually don't notice they are there.
>>
>>59118288
They're suffering buyers remorse anon. They can't accept that something so much cheaper isn't as fragile as tim cooks ego.
>>
>>59118161
>finding a 50 dollar fan

Cool
>>
File: noctua-rma-process.png (541KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
noctua-rma-process.png
541KB, 1920x1080px
>>59115738
>>59111775
>>59111494
>>59109630
>>59109602
As a response to this original convo and as promised, here's my RMA transaction with them on a faulty fan. I have no reason to believe this isn't 100% standard.

The product is great, sure, but the customer service is what stands behind said product, and it too is great.
>>
>>59111701
if "most people" are gaymers with 0 taste
>>
>>59120253
>spending 15 minutes to send email
>another 10 minutes to snap picture and find order code.
>waiting 3 days for fan to arrive

is hassle free to you??

>buy $3 fan for 5 pcs for the price of 1 noctua
>1 faulty just take another 1 in drawer and replace it..

that hassle free you shill
>>
>>59120396
nah, not just gamers, literally most people despise the color scheme.
>>
>>59109544
just get a twin pack of ML120 for $30
>>
>>59120520
Call me whatever you want. My 25 dollar properly built fan will outperform your $3 pieces of shit in both CFM and static pressure likely 5 times over. Would you rather buy it once and have it last for a long time, or buy it 5 times and constantly be fucking with it. It failed once, I replaced it, end of story it works perfectly now.

Oh also, these are waterproof/dustproof so the dust won't get in them over time and gum up the bearing. Doubt a $3 fan can do that and push comparable airflow.
>>
>>59109544
>is X a meme
No, they are just too expensive for you, so you have to post shitty threads about them to make yourself better.
>>
>>59116910

Enermax isn't that good. The Scythe S-FLEX and EBM-Papst compact axial are comparable to Noctua.
>>
>>59120766
>long time

you just said it faulty...
how on earth that thing last long time??

my generic fan last me more than fucking 10 years..
from pentium 4 to fucking core i5 skylake
>>
>>59118161
More expensive probably because it has a longer MTBF and moves more air.
>>
Kek, what are you faggots even talking about if you don't even know they make several colour schemes?
>>
>>59118208
>>59118174
never had any troubles with any fan, and i had maintained dozens of pc (dell, custom build) for few years
Any not shitty fluid is good
>>
>>59109602
>Just snap a blade off and send them a picture and they'll send you a replacement.

This would be good if I didn't live in Australia. I'd probably have to pay like $10 for shipping and it'd take at least 2 weeks.
>>
>>59120856
>bragging about $20 fan.
>call another anon poor.

oh my god..
>>
>>59120870
Woohoo. One failed. Have not had a lick of problems since the RMA. Sometimes you get DOA shit, it happens. It failed within weeks of installation, so it certainly was DoA. Customer service is there for that. Happens with everything. Hard drives, motherboards, even CPUs. Nothing is 100% immune no manufacturer is perfect. As long as they back their shit up when it fails, that's what counts the most to me, assuming you don't KEEP having the same problem over and over, which I don't. Shit happens, is what I'm trying to say.

And there's nothing ///wrong/// with cheap fans, but I want the higher airflow. High performance and reliability, not just reliability. I've bought cheap fans too but they always push shit airflow.
>>
>>59120924
>literary the whole thread
toasting in a bait thread
>>
>>59109682
except some manufacturers do this
this isn't tech related but ESEE(who makes knives) give their knives a lifetime no questions asked warranty.
you can break the blade on purpose and they will replace it without asking you what happened
>>
>>59120951
lol

its all rpm and size. fan "quality" is a meme it's hardly more complex then a fucking diode but hey be a good goy toss your mummy money around
>>
>>59121000
yeah okay youre just trolling now
>>
>>59109544
>Quiet
>Lasts as long as 3 and 4 pin connectors will
>Nice airflow

Enjoy your shit pressure flow because you're too stupid to spend $40 on something that keeps your computer from setting on fire.
>>
>>59121000
>its all rpm and size
Find me a better 3000 RPM 140mm fan please.
>mummy money
you mean sysadmin money
>>
File: 4464320.jpg (30KB, 430x301px) Image search: [Google]
4464320.jpg
30KB, 430x301px
>>59109544
>2017
>still no hot swapable fans

why keep on building?
>>
>>59112448
I have quite a few of these I've pulled from dead server blades over the years. They are ungodly loud at full tilt but undervolt them and they are quite nice.
>>
>>59121021
Enjoy your down syndrome. Retard.
>>
>>59110151
>On the upside my PC is actually cooling this corner of the room.
This hurts to read.
>>
>>59120646
Their beige fans are ass looking, but the black fans with the brown rubber vibration thing is pretty sexy looking, it's a nice accent. Same for the grey fans.
>>
File: 1460880430218.jpg (543KB, 934x1666px) Image search: [Google]
1460880430218.jpg
543KB, 934x1666px
>>59109544

noctua has technology that other fans don't have and besides the price markup is to keep mainstream normfags out, it isn't pure marketing, it's branding which is backed, if you don't care nobody forces you to buy stuff you don't need

see that color scheme, it hasn't changed because noctua cares about what matters not epeen or shilling

/g/ isn't responsibleto educate you or debating the market share of manufacturers

so if you don't why you're paying more and if you don't care just move along, most ppl buy the what which is reviews and image
>>
>>59109544
$20 is lunch for a day. What do you mean $20 for a fan? Are you implying it's expensive?
>>
>>59109630
>>59109651
>>59110213
>>59111494
>>59115331
>>59116511
>>59120253
For a product that's meant to last so long, there sure ale a lot of people that know about the returns policy.
>>
>>59109544

I have bought only Noctua fans -- and every fan is still running. My Noctua fans range in age from about 5 years to about 10 years.

In addition, I have never had any problems with CPU temps. I tried a water cooler once, but after it started making loud ticking sounds I replaced it with a Noctua CPU cooler, and the temp went up only about 2 degrees C.

Plus, I have never heard a sound from a Noctua fan unless I get down on the floor and put my ear right on the case.

Long life. Cool temps. Silent. With those three attributes, I really don't give a shit how expensive Noctua fans are.
>>
>>59109544
i have a couple 140mm Noctua fans and 5 F12's.

noctua's fans are very quiet and very good. probably not worth the price, but their warranty is GOAT. they will send you a replacement very fast and only ask you to send them a picture with your ID and the original fan with one blade broken off.

the F12's are also pretty damn good. i can't tell a difference in volume between them and my 140mm noctuas. they can also be daisy chained if you're lacking fan headers. i got a 5-pack for $25 on amazon. nothing for that price even comes close to the F12's.

been running both sets (2 noctuas, 5 F12's) for about 8 months. all of the F12's are running as good as when i got them, and one of the noctua's was DOA. the replacement has been running for about 7 months just fine.
>>
>>59115239
lol, wood skewers, they are VERY useful for stopping shit.
>>
>>59121901
When you're filling a case with these that'll easily reach $100-$140, just for fans, which is hugely expensive

>>59122570
It's a well known policy because it's uniquely clever, not because peoples fans burn out constantly
>>
>>59118208
had an 80 and 120mm delta fan die on me, granted this was after close to 10 years of use, and have an msi fan shitting itself in my gpu right now I need to rma after 3 years of use.

so that is literally every single fan in my case outside of the cpu one has died on me. little brother had 3 die on him in less time because they were generics.
>>
>>59111926
I had to get a bracket from them and that email seems legit and so does the shipping times. Takes 3 fucking weeks for it to get here but hey they're giving it for free which is much more than what you can say for other companies.

Personally the fans themselves aren't anything special. For 120mm Gentle Typhoons are superior. For 140mm then Thermalright is better and cheaper.
>>
>>59109544
If the fan blades doesnt resemble to this
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/409710/whale-inspired-wind-turbines/
Its a waste of time and resources.
>>
>>59122862
So it has nothing to do with the postage they have to reimburse you with being more expensive than the device at all.
ishiggydiggy
>>
File: AppleFanBoy.jpg (14KB, 180x282px) Image search: [Google]
AppleFanBoy.jpg
14KB, 180x282px
>>59109544
Check out the linked YouTube vid. The guy demonstrates a Noctua fan run under heavy load in comparison to others. The fucking Noctua fan sounds like a damned freight train.

$20 for that?!?! Fuck off! Noctua is a fucking meme. So what! They offer a 6 year warranty. It's still shit, and only appeals to faggots that think if it costs more it's better.

https://youtu.be/U2hum55Qufo
>>
>>59124760
What the fuck dude
Either this is a fucking bad bait, or you're just fucking retarded LOL
>>
File: FishGuts.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FishGuts.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>59110292
these memes are fire tho...
>>
>>59112448
Using this with a custom pwm controller.
Just one for my whole CM 110 Elite.
>>
>>59125063
oh btw mine is runnng 3.9a instead of pic, but looks the same with the same blade designs.
Fucker pushes 250cfm around 7k if not mistaken.
>>
File: samurailaugh.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
samurailaugh.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
Fell for the meme, actually bought some. They come with a "Stealth adapter" of sorts a 2 inch extension that probably has a resistor in it.
With the adapter attached, my PC overheated pretty frequently.
Now I know.
>Mfw
>>
>>59124955
I already have an aquarium at home thanks
>>
>>59125563
If only fish could live in non conductive fluids. Just be a matter of filtration.
>>
>>59109564
This

Just get a decent aio loop and you will end up with better performance
>>
File: man-who-sold-the-world.jpg (7KB, 285x200px) Image search: [Google]
man-who-sold-the-world.jpg
7KB, 285x200px
>>59118668
>tfw its a fucking boy

https://imgur.com/gallery/RWbva
>>
Why would anyone buy poo Noctua fans for two times the price of be quiet! fans that have normal aesthetics, achieve the same, are even quieter, and did I mention they aren't colored in poo colors?
>>
Serious question: what makes a fan PWM compatible? I was under the impression any and all brushless DC motors were easily manipulated by PWM but I keep seeing articles and reviews claim the fan must be advertised as such.
So what else does it need?
>>
>>59109544
I used to have some cheap stock fans ("premium low noise case fans"), they made noise. Then I bought a couple of noctua fans, now there is no noise at all from my computer (ssd, passive psu, GPU-fan that stops when not needed) unless I'm running heavy games or streaming high-res porn. Am I willing to pay $40 for complete silence? Yes.

Do you have a shit computer that makes noise anyway? Or do you simply not intend to keep your fans for a long time? Probably not worth it.
>>
>>59127440
>Am I willing to pay $40 for complete silence? Yes.

You could have paid $15 if you bothered to do some research. Noctua isn't the only company that makes quiet fans.
>>
>>59127551
Please show me a 92mm+120mm fan combination that produces under 18dB and costs $15, I haven't been able to find any.
>>
File: 1476070684815.gif (378KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1476070684815.gif
378KB, 500x333px
>>59109544
Just ordered a Noctua NH-D15, what am I in for?
>>
>>59127617
Scythe Slip Stream (the old version with the regular sleeve bearing)
>>
>>59127628
A great low-noise cooler, that could have been 25% cheaper if you bought a similar one from a chinese company with shitty warranty.
>>
>>59126430

4 prong connector instead of the 3 on the non-pwm. I don`t really get the necessity of a pwm though, other than daisy chaining a lot of fans to a single header.
>>
>>59127440
>Do you have a shit computer that makes noise anyway?

Literally the noisiest part of my PC is the HDD. Otherwise its just the sound of the air moving and I have pretty generic fans.
>>
>>59126430
I believe the PWM fans have a power transistor in them.
>>
>>59125852
>He didn't read the filename
Thread posts: 247
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.