[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOOM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: doom.jpg (4KB, 349x144px) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
4KB, 349x144px
You owe it to yourself to spend a few hours looking through this code. Its amazingly well organized and shit.

https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM

also how do i wipe a hard drive
>>
with a hammer
>>
Degauss or dban. Only surefire way is to physically destroy the platters
>>
shitty Halo ripoff, not interested
>>
>>59098842
0/10
>>
>>59098778

To zero the drive, boot a livecd and run:

cat /dev/zero > /dev/sda

To overwrite with random data

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/sda
>>
ATA Secure Erase
>>
>>59098873
this desu
>>
>>59098842
This troll has potential
>>
File: carmack.jpg (4KB, 155x124px) Image search: [Google]
carmack.jpg
4KB, 155x124px
>>59098811
>>59098826
>>59098865
>>59098873

thanks, guys
>>
>>59098778
>The bad news: this code only compiles and runs on linux
dropped
>>
>>59099001
>that time carmack stole company code
>that time he also literally googled "how to format a HDD" while on the network of the company he stole code from
Good lord
>>
>>59098778
>written in C
LUL
>>
>>59099026
>>59098778
Even if you fix the errors, it does not run because of some pseudocolor bullshit. also OP is probably a doomfag baiting someone here to start a source-port.

You will probably prefer this over linuxxdoom, it only changes the sound and video output code. https://www.libsdl.org/projects/doom/
>>
Hilariously enough the doom community is so toxic that they've spent the last 15 years going right against that, even from the "word of god".

>Add some rendering features -- transparency, look up / down, slopes, etc.
purityfags say no

>Add some game features -- weapons, jumping, ducking, flying, etc.
purityfags say no

>Create a packet server based internet game.
>Create a client / server based internet game.
zandronum is ban on sight with purity turd admins and so is anything else that isn't chocolate doom or odamex

>Do a 3D accelerated version.
[purityfaggot intensifies]

>it would be cool to see a level of community cooperation.
nostalgiafagging turned into purityturding and here we are making vanilla doom wads with no features 2 decades later

>Have fun.
Not bloody likely
>>
>DOOM
>think it's actually DOOM
>it's just old ass Doom
>>
>>59099078
It actually is DOOM. You're thinking of the new game that happens to have the same name.
>>
a daily reminder that C is god language and if you have any self-respect, you should write only in C.
>>
>>59099089
desu I'd kill to see the source code of the new DOOM
it has pretty incredible performance
>>
>>59098909
see
>>59098848
>>
>>59099068
chocolate-doom is even better since it actually tries to emulate the behavior of the DOS executable
>>
>>59099076
Hilarious when some obsessed /v/edditor assburger thinks that an open sourced project needs to have one ultimate version when it's license explicitly permits existence of many version that will suit every person's preferences
>>
File: 1461016003056.png (262KB, 680x661px) Image search: [Google]
1461016003056.png
262KB, 680x661px
>>59098778
underrated thread
good job op
>>
wtf. this is so much better than the source code for quake. that shit is a clusterfuck and not even commented or documented.
>>
>>59099076
Don't forget the whole mess that is Doom scripting.
>>
>>59099107
fat fucking chance with bethesda in charge.

id engines were released under gpl only because carmack was an autist and had the power to do so.
>>
>>59099132
purityfags don't stay in their smelly little corner they keep repeating "muh doom bible" and try to sabotage and shit on all doom wads and projects made after 2000

not even the finished "original" game itself stands up to the doom bible because purityfags don't understand anything about game development or business and how things and needs change. It's literally just nostalgia jerking and this causes them to ignore even the people who made it saying it should be updated. 90% of /vr/ honestly thinks it's still 1995 and the devs are still sitting in their apogee shack because they are doom creationists and ignore everything else that happened after this time.
>>
>>59099068
http://mochadoom.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mochadoom/mochadoom/src/
There is a java source-port written from scratch by some greek autist if you are into that.

>>59099076
Purism is justified in competitive though, not like that Doom has any. The mods are pretty bitter about a fair chunk of the community moving to megaman and ghoul vs humans servers, other games finished the community off.
>>
Who are these purityfags you're talking about? Doomworld and zdoom and zandronum fourms are fine.
>>
>>59098778
>also how do I wipe a hard drive
John pls go
>>
>>59098778
>Doom1
Uninteresting. Do something with the latest FOSS-branch of Doom3 bfg instead.
>>
>>59099127
chocolate-doom is a mess, it "hardcodes" the original resolution in every fucking hole (even the crispy doom author dares not to do the job of cleaning that mess).
>>
>>59099227
>zdoom
see >>59099164
>>
>>59099216
Purityturding is perfectly fine for dwango and tournaments but you could still replace just the look of it and keep the way it plays the same, it doesn't matter because all they want is to jerk off to nostalgia. The real problem is this, go to any doom forum and you'll see it happen:

>Yeah doom sure has done it all I wish there was some new wad, has anyone done X ?
>Nope that sounds so cool someone should do it!
>Hey guys I actually did this in this new wad. check it out.
>FUCKING SILENCE.
>3-6 weeks pass.
>...I sure wish someone would do X
>I made it 6 weeks ago. What'd you think?
>GEE WHILLICKERS I SURE WISH SOMEONE WOULD DO X !!!!!
>5 years pass because it's aged enough now
>FINALLY PLAYED THAT WAD WITH X WISH I COULD HAVE SPOKE TO THE AUTHOR HE MUST BE SUCH A COOL GUY
>oh I'm still here
>I SAID I WISH I COULD TALK TO THE AUTHOR BUT HEY I GUESS I CAN'T
>5 more years pass
>PM's "HEY COOL WAD PLAYED IT BACK IN THE DAY" and then deletes account
>>
>>59099227
He's referring to the group of people within the doom community that disdain any effort to technologically enhance the original Doom engine beyond furthering compatibilities with modern OSes and such.
>>
>>59099283
kek
>>
>>59098778
Drill a couple of holes
Hammer the disks
Run them with heavy sand paper
Place it on burning charcoal
Let it rest in a bucket with acid over night

I think that did it for the one
>>
>>59099227
A purityfaggot is a nostalgia turd making up the rules as he goes along as to what is "acceptable" in doom wads that he isn't part of working on because the nostalgia has turned neo-luddism and they can't accept 10-20 year old zdoom features and probably haven't played doom since they were 5 or 6 and just want to misremember the game forever the way it is in their mind

-You'd think the go-to for them would be the original executables in dosbox but it's so bad because half the time the mouse doesn't work and you also have to deal with butt basic limits like 128 visplanes which every wad after 1998 had more so you're pretty much stuck with the 4 commercial iwads
-Chocolate doom is a liaison purityfag engine which looks shitty and bad but has to put in a couple of features so it won't just crash every 30 seconds
-There are extreme purityfags out there that don't play doom and haven't in 15 years and try to keep re-making the doom bible as a wad (it barely exists as the beta/alpha releases) but don't know the first thing about making doom wads or the first thing about doom so there's threads about it every month that just end up in 3-5 posts of "oh tried to make this myself but it didn't work out" and the "project" dies after 5 days

The other problem with purity turds is that they are all also already all tired of doom but can't accept anything new. So if you actually give them what they want, they still won't accept it either
>Remove all the features, this "isn't" doom
>kay I actually did, here it is
>hmmm I've seen this all before and it's boring

They won't just print out their memories on paper and start having sex with them which is what they want. Make a donut out of paper and heat it up in the microwave already because nobody cares
>>
>>59099164
>>59099269
You talking about DECORATE which is for zdoom or ACS which was originally for hexen?
>>
>>59099469
This, also fragglescript and zscript.

It is that kind of stuff that makes recommending to just use Lua as game scripting language look like a good idea.
>>
>>59099469
Both, and dehacked.
>>
>>59099554
What's wrong with DECORATE and ACS? They're pretty easy.
>>
>>59099579
That doesn't make them good.
>>
>>59099605
Are you just hating on it because it's not C?
>>
>>59099634
>>59099605
>>59099579
Reason why is going to be he didn't know about them from 1993 - 1999, even though they are part of the game engine or at least part of hexen which is based on id tech 1. Didn't know at the time so whenever he happened to learn about them it will be "new" to him, and not part of the memories, and they will instantly be shit.

Guarantee you there's people out there that didn't ever play the secret levels, so they aren't part of their memories, and if you showed it to them it would be "don't really like this tc or wad"
>>
>>59099634
No, i hate them because there is so much needless special constructs in them, when they could have made it simple and callback based.
>>
>>59099192
Are... are we on the same site? /vr/ is not purityfag material at all, they are throwing all these garbage modern WADs up instead of focusing on the original game that all of us enjoy. I am the true purityfag. I WISH I knew other purityfags, but every one I see doesn't talk about the original Doom at all. No true purityfag would EVER use Skulltag by the way.
>>
What's the point of shit like Choclate Doom if you can just play the original version in DOSBOX?
>>
>>59099401
A TRUE purityfag plays the game in DOSBox regardless of its flaws because that was the original design of id Software. It is partly for nostalgia, partly because we don't need fancy technical enhancements or a bunch of advanced Doom wads coming out. Honestly true purityfags wouldn't even care about modern Doom, we would talk about older WADs and possibly have some argue that WADs beyond the original Doom 1 IWAD ruined the experience.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (177KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
177KB, 1920x1080px
>>59099728
I played Doom the most around 1993-1995 at my elementary school's computer lab. The deathmatches using twisted cable were so cash. Also we pulled off the mythical 3-monitor mode once. That shit was at least 15 years ahead of it's time.

Am I pure enough for you anon?
>>
>>59099733
I guess for those too lazy to load up Doom in DOSBOX. Fake purityfags that are "keeping the game true to the original". People, realize the difference. Think of a real purityfag as an amish. We live in a simpler age, we admit we do such, and we don't limit you guys from living in a more complicated age. We just personally don't like such complicated features in our Doom, we like it with no unique scripts and with the WAD pretty much being very similar to the original game we enjoyed. It is not an enhancement, it is an expanded experience. We wouldn't think to enhance the original game as we feel it is perfectly fine the way it is.
>>
>>59099028
I think that's the joke OP was going for

>Carcrash on /g/
>Wants you to fap to his code
>Also how do I wipe
>>
>>59099733
dosbox is a pain in the ass

also comes with the nice ability to disable vertical mouse movement without using a TSR
>>
>>59099866
That is pretty nice indeed, though I guess it depends on how much you have advanced since. We don't really get why you want such "enhancements" as we feel it doesn't fit with the spirit of the original game, but we don't really hold any spite for anything that has come out since. The worst conflict you would have with us probably would be if you wanted to play a multiplayer game and we told you we had to do it on a LAN network.
>>
File: 001.jpg (350KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
350KB, 1600x1200px
>>59099728
>>59099866
Also last year while cleaning at the old apartment I pulled out my mothballed trusty old 386 for shits and giggles and to see if I could still run Doom on it. It worked.

I posted a series of pics about it on /g/ and /v/ but no one gave a fuck.
>>
// Defines suck. C sucks.
// C++ might sucks for OOP, but it sure is a better C.
// So there.

- John Carmack
>>
File: 006.jpg (420KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
420KB, 1600x1200px
>>59099948
Pic 2/?

>>59099939
>We don't really get why you want such "enhancements" as we feel it doesn't fit with the spirit of the original game
>original Doom's 3-monitor mode
>doesn't fit with the spirit of the original game
And now I'm disappointed in you.
>>
>>59099917
Indeed Dosbox can be. You have to change it any time you switch games, it tends to not use your hardware's capabilities and thus crawl even on a powerful computer if you try to crank up the vanilla game's settings to the max (at least on Quake). I use it quite a bit and tolerate it, but I can easily see why someone would rather just use a source port that fixes compatibility. Really purity depends from person to person, what is one person's purity might feel not pure to another. Some might consider me not pure for sure, perhaps because I use DosBox instead of original DOS.
>>
File: 008.jpg (490KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
490KB, 1600x1200px
>>59100012
Pic ??/??
>>
>>59098865
>cat
use dd pleb
>>
File: 009.jpg (519KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
519KB, 1600x1200px
>>59100034
??/??
>>
File: 011.jpg (424KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
424KB, 1600x1200px
>>59100048
>>
File: Ouchface.jpg (27KB, 854x212px) Image search: [Google]
Ouchface.jpg
27KB, 854x212px
>>59099728
>/vr/ is not purityfag material
except for the bit where they are. might not be this particular month but mention jumping, opengl, etc. you can get away with new resources, new stages, new weapons but they had all better act close enough to the originals, or else! try mentioning brutal doom

>>59099796
Sounds great except for the part where even the source code disagrees with the game best example is the ouch face. They made a mistake in the code and flipped a < where it should have been >, this face is supposed to show up if you lose more than 20 health at once, which of course happens all the time. However we are living in this alternate reality where the code was made that way and purityfags have been known to complain over an engine that uses the ouchface properly because hey they've never seen it and think it's "new". You can still fire this on original code by finding a health powerup that would give you over 20 at once and exploding a rocket right next to it. Pic related no purityfag has ever seen this face.

>>59099796
As I said they make it up as they go along, you are not the authority on what is to be released and extreme biblefag purityfags hate even the original doom 1 iwad because it isn't the doom bible.

>>59099883
>we don't limit you from living in a more complicated age
First off you do by shitting up forums, and second it isn't "complicated" when the authors wrote that these features should be included in the source code release. This is nostalgia jerking, plain and simple. Just like every other neo-luddite you have closed up and are unwilling to accept anything new and in this case it's new features in an old game.
>>
>>59100030
actually i think it's really irresponsible to not open source any PC game, especially DOS ones after a few decades

no one should have to endure dosbox
>>
File: 013.jpg (573KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
013.jpg
573KB, 1600x1200px
>>59100080
Ok I'm out.
>>
>>59100096
hello sgt mark
>>
>>59099948
That doesn't surprise me. /g/ is about technology, often about the modern stuff that is coming out. I tend to hang around here because I have the weird combination of being a purityfag and obsessed with modern hardware. I am not very pure at all when it comes to using old technology, I see those to have frustrating limits and don't feel like going back to those days. Trust me, it is interesting trying to get hardware working in a vanilla format on modern technology (I tend to go for a high-end rig setup) sometimes. /v/ is highly about modern games, I don't fit in at all there. It is why when /g/ tells me to go there, it just makes me laugh at their ignorance. Honestly if I could have the confidence certain things from the late 90s would work, in a purity format, I would switch to Linux. That is the hardest part of being a purityfag, even if someone made a third-party patch for those games to work on Linux, it wouldn't be true to the original game in my eyes and therefore would bug me to have to rely upon. I like playing older maps and mods generally, so I find modern source ports for any game breaks things and that I am best served by staying in vanilla. For Doom in particular, I know certain maps that don't work well (meaning impossible without cheats) if you don't use version 1.2.
>>
>>59099076
I'm a huge fan of Brutal Doom. Fite me.
>>
>>59100012
I said how you played the game in modern times. You said that was how you did it back in 93-95. Most people would be a purityfag then because the game just came out.
>>
>>59099939
>and we told you we had to do it on a LAN network.
dosbox doom is fairly playable online, just use this ipxsetup driver. http://koti.kapsi.fi/vv/ipxsetup.exe
http://koti.kapsi.fi/vv/ipxmodsrc.zip
>>
>>59099149
Quake had some severe developmental issues

Watch the Noclip documentary with John Romero that just came out, he basiclly explains the entire early history of ID, the clusterfuck of development that quake was, and why he left ID.
>>
>>59100156
cool story now can't help but shake this feeling, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to make it past E1M1 on hurt me plenty
>>
>>59100096
>/vr/ is purityfag material
Odd, I see so many GZDoom based discussions there showing off some 3d designs or mechanics that couldn't be in the original game.

>Ouchface is bad
It is more how the mechanic works in the original game versus a modern engine. If a purityfag argues against the original game and gets corrected, they should be able to load it up and admit defeat. You know, because a purityfag generally has access to the older version unless they aren't around their gaming computer. I will admit I get things wrong and am always willing to learn more about the original game.

>They make it up as they go along
I haven't met any other purityfags, so I am basing everything off of what I believe purity to be about and how I personally apply it. If it is the original game, it is purity. If it is a modified source port, not purity. Very easy to understand. I also am not trying to be the authority on what should be released. I personally play only stuff released in 1994, so it matters little what gets released in 2017. If you want WADs that change Doom into the latest Call of Duty release, go right ahead, I am not an authority figure nor do I really care.

>Shitting up old forums
Personally I just like talking about the games I play. It just is most are not purityfags. I don't have anything wrong with you not being a purityfag, but it does make it hard to talk with such because we are looking at what is to me to be a completely different entity. What can you release that I will be upset about as long as my Doom IWAD works the same on Dosbox? Sure, the features may be in the source code, but in the original vanilla game they were never considered functional. It is a change, even if it is vanilla, just like I consider the expansion to E2M6 in Quake to be a change even though it was Romero's original design. We just like our game the way we played it, we feel it is perfect as is and doesn't need a bunch of enhancements. You don't need to be a Luddite.
>>
>>59098778
<3
>>
>>59100097
Trust me, I am a purefag (or as we say, purist) and I wouldn't wish Dosbox upon anyone. It is how I personally play the game to keep it as authentic as I can, especially for the major fear of something breaking no matter how "true" the source port is for old school WADs most individuals don't care about but I enjoy. I wish I had others that were like me to talk about the WADs, but I don't wish any the undue pain of using Dosbox.
>>
>>59100190
Yeah, but who plays Dosbox Doom online? It is probably as dead as NetQuake.
>>
File: bonus.jpg (125KB, 439x485px) Image search: [Google]
bonus.jpg
125KB, 439x485px
>>59099866
>>
>>59100202
Shrugs, I never said I had amazing skills, I am just a nostalgic person who enjoys Doom. I tend to prefer Ultra Violence myself, the original hardest difficulty :P
>>
>// Emacs style mode select -*- C++ -*-
!
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-12_22-49-44.png (78KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-12_22-49-44.png
78KB, 1920x1200px
>>59100156
>Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment.
>>
Where is the fast inverse root used?
>>
>>59099192
sounds like vanilla wow purists lmao lmao
>>
How do I even go on about reading a source code for such a big project? Where do I start? How do I proceed?
>>
>>59101379
in quake 3

>>59101599
find the main function and start from there?
>>
>>59098778
When my dad was younger he went sledding with john carmack.
Just some cool shit.
>>
>>59100505
>>59099866
>>59099939
>he can only go up to 180 degrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvywBAuNSmI
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.