[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Server hardware used for gaming thread. I am currently in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Gaming Xeon.jpg (138KB, 640x809px) Image search: [Google]
Gaming Xeon.jpg
138KB, 640x809px
Server hardware used for gaming thread.

I am currently in the process of building a new gaming computer. Let's assume my games fully use all available CPU cores. Would it be wise to step from a single i7 7700 to a dual CPU xeon setup?

I know that performance would be higher, but I am not sure about any associated issues or inconveniences of using a server motherboard and dual CPUs with a Windows 10 PRO and vidya.

Some Xeon CPUs are pretty expensive, what would be the price/performance equivalent of an i7 7700?

I am obligated to use ECC memory or can I use the (not so much currently) cheaper non-ECC memory sticks?
Due to being a gaming PC, I don't need ECC features.

How is the whole idea cost-effective-wise?
>>
>>59094652
>not going from pump to cpu block to cpu block to radiator.
Literally one goddamn job. ONE.
>>
>>59094652
a xeon in a gaming rig ok
ecc memory? no thats going to be slow, no matter what people say about it being done on cpu memory controller, its slow

http://ark.intel.com/products/92994/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1650-v4-15M-Cache-3_60-GHz

is going to basically be a 7700

overpaying for nothing, OP
by the time you find a motherboard with gaming-standard pci-e that works with a xeon and ecc ram the price is going to be beyond 10x what you would pay for some cheap chinese MB

stick to gaming hardware.
>>
>>59094955
I explained it wrong, I don't need (neither want) ECC memory.

What I want is the ability to run two CPUs in the same motherboard, at a reasonable price.
>>
>>59095138
Why?

What advantage would that give you over purchasing products made for gaming?
>>
>>59097771
It'll do nothing. OP just wants to have a bigger e-penis
>>
My editing rig has dual Xeons, it is slower in games, than my 7700k gaming machine. Xeons are underclocked for stability/cooling.
>>
File: Cinebench426sing.png (34KB, 322x817px) Image search: [Google]
Cinebench426sing.png
34KB, 322x817px
Get old hardware and BTFO shit.

Don't even consider Xeons for gaming unless you get overclocking capabilities.
>>
>>59094678
>>not going from pump to cpu block to cpu block to radiator.
He is going pump, block, rad, block, reservoir, pump, or possibly reverse.

This effectively puts 2 stages of cooling, with the big one in between the two cpus so you aren't taking warm/hot water to the other cpu.

Personally, I would get rid of the rad and use a 55 gallon tub of water as my heatsink but that's just me.
>>
>>59098664
Xeon overclocking is not worth it.
>>
>>59098664
probably horrific dogshit performance/W
>>
>>59094652
Here is the answer

Shit is ok but fuckin expensive.
You don't want to go full server, but more work station just for the sake of compatibility.

BUT

If you are going ebay old cpus and getting 2 8 cores stop, the 8 cores on their own are weaker than one modern i7, and together are not more powerful then an intel 8 core (bring this up as the cheapest 8 core ryzen would also be more powerful then these cpus together and with a higher clock, better when games fall back to sub full utilization)

Then comes in the fun part, you aren't thinking dual cpu for gaming, that would be retarded, but if we take this as you want to build a workstation, now we are getting somewhere, There are many software packages that will not utilize 2 cpus, not not utilize 16, but just not even touch the second cpu, for home use i am assuming you want to edit video and these programs usually shit the bed on multi cpus setups, one of the big reasons I didn't bother a few months back.

If you want absolute power, the way to do it is engineering samples, you will get relatively good/recent cpus for a fraction of what intel charges. the problem is, passed 10 cores, they are no longer good for gaming as many games settle for 1-4 cores of use only, the positive side is programs that would shit themselves on 2 cpus will fully utilize these cpus so you get substantially more out of them.

personally, I would wait till amd puts out the snowy owl cpus, as I have a feeling there will be motherboards geared toward workstations with those, at the same time amd may put out an 8 core cpu in the same sku line and that would be best of both worlds for you if you require sub 4 core games to play as good as possible.

Right now, best bet is getting the 320 ryzen for a price performance standpoint.
>>
>>59098820
The only reason to get dual CPUs is the additional memory, and PCI lanes. With 80 lanes you can add in 4+ Cuda cards. You could then run it as a virtual gaming machine for multiple users. However, this still much slower than a dedicated gaming machine.

If OP has money to burn, I would go 7700k with dual Titan Xp.
>>
I play games on an E5-2670 and server motherboard with ECC memory.

used LGA1366/LGA2011 Xeons and DDR3 ECC memory are cheap and plentiful on ebay. if you're buying new hardware, then don't bother unless you have too much money on your hands.
>>
>>59098767
It is literally worth it.
You can actually see the difference 250mhz makes
Which is still way more then the 3.33ghz stock.
>>
>>59094652
Xeons have a bigger cache and more cores (but a slower clock speed)
RAM is usually a huge bottleneck, so it means it is faster for a lot of tasks, but not necessarily games.
You usually have to spend a lot of money to get something that is on par with regular CPU's.

ECC is always a nice feature to have, it is not that expensive, if you plan on using it as a server later, it might be very good to get it while you are buying the system anyway.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.