[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I am not into networking and because of that, i have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Network-Layout.jpg (24KB, 792x612px) Image search: [Google]
Network-Layout.jpg
24KB, 792x612px
Hey guys.

I am not into networking and because of that, i have very little knowledge about it. Yesterday, i read somewhere that i can setup unused routers as access points to increase strength of the network and the size.
I have 2 spare routers. I want to config them in such a way that i can use all the existing gadgets to access the same network and file sharing (i use PS4 as a media server so i need file sharing, not only wireless ap). But with different SSIDs.

I have attached the photo of my current network config, and what i plan to do.

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
We're not your tech support, just look up wireless repeaters
>>
>>59094147

I just did. It is very complicated. WAN to LAN or LAN to LAN. I dont understand anything. Which to use and what purpose do they both serve.
>>
>>59094155

Retard.
>>
>>59094172

> having no knowledge in one particular field.
> retard.

try again.
>>
>>59094122
What model are your routers? I would do a google search with model name and "ddwrt" right after, and see if theyrw able to run ddwrt.

Once that is installed then what u do is u put the 2 non main routers into repeater mode. All u do is put in the same config as the main router and voila! Then turn on wlan0.1 or whatever its called and u can have them spitting out a different ssid, aka different sub/network.
>>
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

You don't need dd-wrt for what you're asking afaik
>>
>>59094223

Thank you for the reply.

One device is a TP Link router (forgot the model number) another one is TP Link Wireless Access Point.

From what I have gathered reading about this, I have to disable DHCP on all the access points, and give them such IP addresses that they wont conflict with the main router. But they are all giving information about wireless connections. If I plug a wired device in any one of those secondary APs, will my device work?
>>
Also, why do I need to plug the connection in the LAN ports and not in the WAN ports.
>>
>>59094172
Cool way to help the guy
>>
>>59094245

That's pretty much right. You can go into your primary router settings and change the DHCP settings so it will only give out IP addresses that don't conflict with your secondary routers.

>If I plug a wired device in any one of those secondary APs, will my device work?
Your secondary routers will usually have 3 or 4 LAN ports and one differently labelled WAN port. You want all wired connections, including to the primary router, on the LAN ports.
>>
>>59094257

If you plug it in the WAN port, the network on the wireless AP and the LAN ports will be a subnet instead.
>>
>>59094245
Are you TRYING to have 3 different networks in your home? What is your goal here anon. You have 1st world problem because your house it too large and your router cant reach across the entire thing? Is it fully wirelesa or wired too? Are routers wireless G or N or AC?

I've been on a networking phase recently and gonna be taking CCNA soon so yea lol, ama.
>>
>>59094288

Thank you. That makes sense. If they go on different subnet, i will have trouble doing file sharing. Got that.

One last bit, one of my secondary access point is originally a access point (http://www.tp-link.com/eg/products/details/cat-12_TL-WA901ND.html).

Will I run into trouble if I use this? Because it only has WAN port. Or should i not use that device.
>>
>>59094305

That link is dead for me.
With dd-wrt firmware there's an option to map the WAN port to LAN instead.
Or you could make it a wireless repeater. The bandwidth takes a hit and it usually needs a custom firmware again.
>>
>>59094302

Not three different networks technically. One network with 3 different SSIDs for different floors.

Main router is on the first floor.
Main computer is wired (concealed wall wired) with the main router. But there arent any wireless signals there.
PS4 is on the same floor as the Main router and wireless signal there is okay.
Seconds floor has no computer, I only want wireless signal there.
>>
>>59094337

>One network with 3 different SSIDs for different floors.
You could go for the same SSID and use the routers as repeaters. That way, a machine will automatically connect to the strongest signal. But it's up to you.
>>
>>59094353

I know I can. But cellphones are clingy as shit. They will cling to the worst network until the signals run out and only then it will select the next best thing.

I prefer to do it manually. Also, i plan to keep the passwords different for all the SSIDs.
>>
>>59094392

That's fine then.
>>
>>59094337
What I would do is put a router right next to the PS and hook it up to the PS via ethernet. It will basically act as the wireless receptor and then dump the traffic to all the devices that are connected to it.

Lol this is how I have free internet. My neighbor (distance away) is far enough where no computer or phone can get a good signal but my router can. Then I just have the router connected to another router wihich is on a differwnt network. And I am able to get all devices in my house connectes to my router which then senda all traffic to the neigjbor to get to the internet. Lol no password :)
>>
>>59094331
If you attach a second router via cable and have that 2nd one broadcast wifi, u dont lose any speed.
>>
>>59094405

That is stealing. I am fine by that.

But i have 500GB data with 50mb up and down. So i have plenty of internet :)
>>
>>59094428

thats what i plan to do. Also, i have been warned that this is not the correct forum to post this. So this will be my last reply.

Thanks for the help guys :)
>>
>>59094405
oh and btw, i accidentally went over the 1TB comcast limit this month so i gotta careful about that.
>>
>>59094452
I will never understand americans when it comes to internet service.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.