[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alt-cooling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1463060837699.png (437KB, 1175x617px) Image search: [Google]
1463060837699.png
437KB, 1175x617px
Fans create noise, even Noctua fans. And with premium fans there is a corresponding luxury tax.

Isn't there another way to move a lot of heat? I want my PC to be quiet and typical fans + metal fins are just for underclocked shit made to be as cheap and modular as possible.

http://www.calyos-tm.com/calyos-nsg-s0-fanless-desktop-pc/

>tfw no vapor cooling on the mass market
>>
Put PC in other room pipe the cables to the user room.
>>
>>59092782
That shit made by 3M. Non conductive liquid that boils at 36-38c. Put half a bottle of that in a water cooling loop with two rads overhead.
>>
What was that stuff Zotac was working with a couple years back? Submerged build with no heatsinks, just exposed dies.
It was really cool, kept things under 60c at full load, though it was a second gen i7 and a 550ti
>>
Move pc into another room you dolt.
>>
>>59092816
kek, this

alternatively just use a really huge heatsink with no fans--works just fine for most systems
>>
>>59092782
You shouldn't need a ton of fans to keep your system cool. Current tech doesn't run as hot as it used to and don't really require giant cooling rigs. I have a fanless sff case and I run my i7 6700k on a tiny Noctua NH-L9i cooler.

But really the two biggest things you can do to reduce heat and noise in any system are 1.) Replace all of your mechanical harddrives with SSD's and 2.) Manually set your fan and voltage settings in your bios.

I cannot stress how important it is especially with the voltage. Factory voltage settings on ALL cpus are set way too high and any and all variable voltage or intel boost nonsense is cancer should be disabled asap.

It's kind of crazy how very important this step is when it comes to cooling and it's almost never properly talked about on tech forums. The vast majority of PC users, even tech-savvy ones, largely overestimate the level of cooling needed for a variety of setups. But I'm here to tell you from personal experience that you DO NOT need watercooling, multiple fans, or giant cases to keep your equipment cool. What you need is proper understanding of voltage settings.
>>
>>59093195
But you probably couldn't have the 6700k run at 4.6Ghz like it is supposed to

My h100i V2 is loud as fuck even in the lowest settings however for my overclock with the same processor

And yeah I understood voltage correlates to cooling though I'm keeping my voltage to around 1.35 for that extra clock
>>
>>59093274
Sure I could. I have it at 4.2 right now simply to keep the voltage and cooling especially low, but it was stock 1.35 voltage when I bought it. Will it run as cool on those settings as a giant watercooled system? Certainly not. But it's still nowhere near hitting the peak so what difference does it make? And your h100 is loud because those corsair coolers are just loud as hell. I used to have an h100, a 105, and an h50 in previous builds. They're just plain loud and there's nothing you can do to make them quieter.
>>
File: IMG_0302.jpg (155KB, 678x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0302.jpg
155KB, 678x450px
>>59092874
There's something similar to this that was shown of at CES from a few companies. It still requires fans but it eliminates the pump.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10398/raijintek-shows-off-pumpless-liquid-cooling-system
>>
>>59093457
It's properly just cheaper fluid. The stuff form 3M that's used in server rooms for submerged cooling is like $100 for half a liter. (citation need, could be vastly cheaper but prices way back when I looked)
>>59092919
Pretty sure it's the same fluid from 3M.
>>
>>59093494
Wel duh it's cheaper I was just saying it's similar in function and also exactly what you suggested.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this essentially how drip coffee bubblers work?
>>
>>59093457
Oh, and I suggest two rads to remove the need for a fan. Ambient should get the job done.
That rig they got is retarded. Trying to send gas up both sides. You'd want the block turned so one port is higher taking the bubbles and creating a flow.
>>
File: db4-000-180-open.jpg (72KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
db4-000-180-open.jpg
72KB, 1200x900px
Build a lower powered system inside of a giant heatsink
>>
>>59093514
One line is a supply line that steam flows to the rad through and the other is a return line that water flows back to the block through.

The article mentions one tube is of a larger diameter. I think this is how it keeps the two separate. There may even be a sort of checkvalve in place.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.