[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here is a functional programmer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1-AM83LP9sGGjIul3c5hIsWg.png (121KB, 800x355px) Image search: [Google]
1-AM83LP9sGGjIul3c5hIsWg.png
121KB, 800x355px
>What languages do you use?
>Do you study category theory?
>How do you use FP to solve problems?
>Any recommended resources?
>>
>>59087136
No one, sad!
>>
This is /g/ no one actually programs shit, it's all AMD is dead / winning threads.

Racket is probably your best bet as a functional language. Their documentation and resources for learning it are second to none.
https://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/intro.html

The other upside is that it is one of the few lisp like languages that doesn't expect you to use emacs (I'm a vim user normally). DrRacket isn't too bad of an IDE.

There are a growing set of resources to apply functional programming to whatever language you're a native in - I've been following a PluralSight course on functional C# programming (I'm a C# dev at work), which has been interesting to see how to separate out mutable state.
>>
>>59087327

Sorry I forgot to mention that Racket is also able to be taught to kids (and is I believe in a few schools) - you won't get too much of that feeling that you needed to be a phD in maths to understand the basics.

I found it slightly difficult as I'm wired to OO thinking, but it still has been a fun trip.
>>
>>59087136

I highly recommend functional programming in scala. I write functional scala for a living, bretty nice language
>>
>>59087403
i'm working in java mainly and do a lot of haskell stuff privately, often miss functional stuff in java, can i easily use scala along with the remaining legacy java code or is it better only to use it in scala-only projects. Is there an equivalent to the spring framework in scala? (i think you can use spring in scala, but i mean, in a functional way?)
>>
>>59087627
Scala plays well with java, if you want to you can write scala as a better java, but you can also go full autism if you want to. With compiler plugins declaring typeclasses become relatively painless as well.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.