[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making database software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: images.png (3KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3KB, 310x163px
How would you do this /g/:

There's company A that sells various goods. They have HQ and lets say 5 branch offices, each with their own warehouse for goods. So, HQ will be main storage place from where all goods will go to branches when they order them.

How would you create database for company like this? One main database and every database for each branch? Or just one database and just create new table for each branch? Do you store databases on each branch pc or you keep them in HQ?

If i store all databases on HQ that means that branches will not be able to update the data if there's internet outage.

Also how do you organize the actual physical flow of goods, you delete data for X amount from HQ database when branch orders goods, but those goods are yet to be dispatched in real life, is there a way to update the databases when goods actually come to destination (i guess using barcode)?

I am learning c#, entity framework and sql server and i got this idea from my friend, but i don't know how to organize databases in company-wide scale, i thought this would be a very good exercise
>>
For most flexibility and least amount of pain, create a single database at the main office with a table that holds the location id. Outages should be rare, beef up your connections if needed. If there's an outage tough shit for the branches.

Imagine how much hassle will be for reporting if there are multiple databases.

You'll have to do scheme updates on all the separate databases.
>>
I'd have a table for warehouses (also branches if they can have multiple warehouses).

Products describe a product sold by the company.
Stock describes a product's quantity in a given warehouse.
>>
>>59079409
I also guess this solution was the easiest and most logical

How would you solve travel time of physical goods from HQ to branch? Is it ok to make some "Travelling" table that stores all goods that are dispatched but not yet received by a branch? When they receive the goods it just goes from "Travelling" to "BranchX" table.
>>
>>59079432
Yeah, that's the general idea, i am just thinking of some more delicate stuff.
>>
>>59079462
Do you have lot level info on the products? If so you would create a lot table which contained a location id and you would just update the location id when it moved. You could either have a location id for in transit of a flag on the lot.
>>
>>59079363
> How would you create database for company like this?
Deploy Cassandra. Or another distributed DB on top of Trove.

Use Apache Spark to work with it.

> c#, entity framework and sql server
Wrong choice for "cloud" stuff. But I guess there are some solutions involving SQL replication. Just not what I -or virtually any big company- would do at this point.
>>
>>59079560
This is just a hobby project that went a little too complicated, i would really like to keep it c#,entity,sql server, because i plan to continue learning in .net framework.

Speaking of cloud, do you know some cheap sql server plans online? Azure seems to have a lot of options but i've read that normal options start from $20/month
>>
>>59079363
> (i guess using barcode)
Generate Bar and QR code or something comparable, sure. You could also use RFID tags or whatever if that pleases you better.
>>
>>59079554
I don't think lots are a must. My initial guess for this company was no lots, those lots would just add another layer of complexity (insert X,Y,Z goods into a lot, dispatch lot, when lot comes update goods X,Y,Z into a table).

I don't think i need lots for this specific project, even though it makes sense in real life
>>
>>59079602
> i would really like to keep it c#,entity,sql server
I guess you might somewhat need to arrange it around the replication capability of a SQL server.

Or yea, have "fun" with Azure.

>Speaking of cloud, do you know some cheap sql server plans online? Azure seems to have a lot of options but i've read that normal options start from $20/month
Not much for the .NET exotic walled garden.

Almost all of the production clouds are on the JVM and other technologies, and so are the hosters:

https://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-azure/
https://alternativeto.net/software/heroku/

The real cloud world is using Docker, Amazon S3, Spark, Openstack, ... (insert hundreds more things).

Virtually all of it cares not for .NET and Microsoft's plans to Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

You're on the wrong track, sorry. Not that you can't use some of what you learned in the actual cloud world, but it's still a language switch.
>>
File: IC145887.jpeg.gif (27KB, 338x658px) Image search: [Google]
IC145887.jpeg.gif
27KB, 338x658px
>>59079698
PS: SQL replication is usually more or less unidirectional.

"Master" copy propagates down to "slaves". Everything not yet in the master is merely cached in a way, it usually isn't propagated to the other slaves and the whole thing is kinda "stuck" if the master (and maybe a failover master) fails - the slaves generally won't exchange their information directly.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.