[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things every hacker once knew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: esr.jpg (65KB, 423x594px) Image search: [Google]
esr.jpg
65KB, 423x594px
This is absolute bullshit. It is no more important for modern hackers to know the serial port pinouts than it is for them to know the click .codes of dial phones. Sorry, Eric. no one cares.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/things-every-hacker-once-knew/
>>
Who cares?
>>
>>59077276
Still, it's a good read, if you like historical stuff.
>>
>>59077305
See
>>59077276
>>
>>59077244
Well, most if not all hackers did know these things at some point. What's wrong with pointing that out?

I didn't read the whole thing, if he does in fact claim it's important to know the minutiae of this stuff, then yes, he's full of shit, but I do think that it's important for modern hackers to know their history. A lot of these new meme languages pushed by web app hipsters as novel is usually old recycled ideas from the 70s and 80s, if we had been more historically literate we could have avoided a lot of the useless hype.
>>
>>59077356
It's like "junk DNA." It got in there for a reason, even if it isn't useful anymore. I can imagine the endless amusement that must have ensued from sending a thousand [bell] asciis to a hapless cow-orker in 1992.
>>
As someone that lived through most of the time periods he writes about in that article and have direct experience with most of that information in real-world usage, it's nice to see that some people can appreciate the history of just how far coding and practice has come.

If you're not interested in the history and your hyperactive disorder prevents you from being able to read more than a paragraph at a time before you lose interest (as you've probably already done reading this particular post, go figure) then you're nothing but a script kiddie in today's world.

So fuck you, script kiddies, take your meds and pay attention.
>>
>>59077244
>He doesn't know JTAG and serial ports let you access areas that you can't enter using software.

You'll never be a hacker, Pajeet. Go be an idiot somewhere else.
>>
>>59077416
ha ha you're going to die soon.
>>
>>59077446

And it'll be a glorious death, punk, something you can only dream of.
>>
>>59077276
you are probably one of those people who think asm is useless
>>
>>59077244

Like most every millenial snot-nosed script kiddies, OP didn't even read the fucking article he posted the link to.

Which is precisely the entire point of article: autistic little snowflakes today can't into understanding what they're doing because they lack the fundamental attention span and intellectual capacity to comprehend anything larger or more comprehensive than 140 characters vomited out by a piss haired shit gibbon.

And still, they expect top be handed $250K/year jobs for being special snowflakes without any experience, education or skills.

> "o man liek tots imma h4XXorz chek muh iphone its t3h latestest ivory edishun it havingz an 6 gorillionz piksellz and shiz and an streaming pr0nz on 4K screen"
>>
>>5907748
OP here. I would really like to work with/for you for free
>>
>>59077489
calm down gramps
>>
>>59077244
Esr doesn't actually think people should still know this. I thought he made that pretty clear in the opening. It's called "Things every hacker once knew" not "Things every hacker should know." The closest he comes to saying that is "it’s good to know anyway, for cultural-literacy reasons," but that's not the same thing. You're getting upset over nothing. It's interesting history for some, but no one's forcing you to read it.

Even so, if you're interested in computers and you don't find at least some of those historical anecdotes interesting, there might be something wrong with you. A lot of that shit still affects us. If you've ever wondered why ASCII leaves the top bit clear, or what all the control characters at the start of ASCII (and Unicode) were ever used for, or why Unix permissions are in octal, or why the terminfo database exists, all the answers are in there.
>>
>>59077489
>piss haired shit gibbon.

Aww if you're so upset about your useless whore of a cousin being deported then why don't you move back to Mexico and start browsing leddit?
>>
>>59077487
>autists listening to gaymer gurls whispering into expensive microphones
>not useless

Hahahaha
>>
>>59077954
But anon, asm is not asmr.
>>
>>59077244
>Sorry, Eric. no one cares.

You apparently care enough to make a thread about it.
>>
>>59077954
embarrassing

hiro delete /g/ pls
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.