[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of your programming classes give 0 unit test?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1486613206477.png (36KB, 778x512px) Image search: [Google]
1486613206477.png
36KB, 778x512px
Seems like all my coding courses don't give unit test and test you on weird edge cases you can never figure out.
>>
>>59074476
My data structures class forced a minimum number of unit tests and code coverage
>>
>weird edge cases you can never figure out.

What do you mean? Like they give you code and you have to describe what it does?
>>
Unit testing is a meme.
>>
>>59074476
I got my masters' in 2008 and none of the classes had unit testing.

Pretty ridicks. I didn't know what modular or self documenting code was until years later.
>>
>>59074490
They informed you of the unit test to perform? My class gets 0 feedback and the autograder is on a time delay so you can't use it as a debugger. I pass all unit test passed around in class but still get points off by the professor's test, whatever those may be.
>>
>>59074495
No
>Give assignment
>You have to strain your head figuring out what professor intends you to do
>Submit assignment
>Receive no feedback other than a grade
>>
>>59074517
Yeah we made our own unit tests using cxxtests.

He did have some hidden unit tests though.

git gud
>>
File: meryl.jpg (217KB, 1525x1730px) Image search: [Google]
meryl.jpg
217KB, 1525x1730px
What is going on in this thread? What is unit testing? I'm I wrong in thinking that a unit is a collection of chapters, and you all are just talking about the test you take after them?
>>
>>59074548
We make our own test and pass them around in class but they don't cover whatever the professor test for... basically you can't ever tell where your code fucks up due to no feedback from the professor.
>>
>>59074538
Oh, yeah that sounds like it sucks. I always had good professors, so that was never really a problem. The assignment sheets we got were always highly detailed regarding what we were expected to accomplish, but there was always room for us to accomplish it different ways (unless explicitly stated otherwise). Always got good feedback as well (which balanced out the fact that it took forever for grades to be posted).

>>59074517
What is a unit test? Just a regular test given after X amount of chapters?
>>
>>59074641
Man, that just really blows to read how your professor gives clear instructions and gives excellent feedback. We have to WAIT an hour or more for the grader to show our grade, AND we get ZERO feedback on what we missed.

I may be misusing the term, but I mean creating your own test classes and testing each of your methods.

I'm just fucking flustered. I spent 12-fucking hours trying to figure out why the fuck I have like 80% out of 100% on my programming assignment.

With no fucking feedback I am lost. Some people created their own test cases and shared them with the class and I fucking pass their test but not whatever the professor is grading for.
>>
>>59074680
Have you meet with your professor to discuss it? And do you have any sort of a programming assistance lab? At my uni we had a P.A.L. lab that was staffed by upper-class men that was available during the day. It was good because they had all taken the courses being taught and could give advice about what certain professors are looking for.

Do you mind me asking which programming course you are in?
>>
>>59074773
An intermediate Object Oriented Programming Class. I was at office hours from around 10-1pm and 2-5pm today and then worked on it myself from around 5-11pm. TAs couldn't figure it out.

I'm waking up early as fuck tomorrow to visit another TA and then try and talk to the professor after class. Then spending all day in the TA lab after that.

I have something like 80% correct. Trying to figure out the rest. Other people have 100% but no idea who those folks are.

They are passing around unit test and my program passes every single one of those.

If I can talk to the professor tomorrow after class he should be able to help.
>>
>>59074819

That sucks, anon. It's good that you're motivated enough to keep going at it though.

I'm a bit confused by some of what you're saying though, just because it seems like our schools handled these courses in very different ways. When you say you are at 80% correct, does that mean you are submitting your work to some sort of auto-grader/TA and they give you a grade and you are allowed to try and fix your work to get a higher grade? And unit-testing is testing the program you have written to see if it meets the requirements?

Sorry, but there's a lot I don't quite understand about this.
>>
I want all students to go and stay go.
>>
>>59074967
We are programming in Java. The professor has a time delayed autograder (where he writes JUnit test cases to test the correctness of our program, but he does not reveal those to us). We are allowed to submit our programs online (where behind the scenes it's being ran against his JUnit test cases, where he is stress-testing our programs) and we have to wait an hour to see the result.

We don't get to see what we got right or wrong, we only get to see a percentage point of how many things we got right, in my case a little over 80% of my program passed his hidden test.

Other students write their own Junit test and pass them around but they aren't like what the professor test for.

I've spent all of today trying to fix the bugs and wasn't able to do so. Will spend all of tomorrow if needed to do the same.

Just needed a place to vent. Have to get up early tomorrow to visit a TA (who may not even be able to help) but they do have access to the behind the scenes output... not the actual test themselves but some hints on what you may miss. Looks like one of my methods wasn't found inside the professor's test, but it's located in my actual program and that method passes test cases I have set up. This really perplexed the TAs I was working with. I'll visit more TAs tomorrow and HOPEFULLY be able to talk to the professor after class (he doesn't have office hours until Monday and the assignment is due Sunday). But he usually has a few minutes after class... he likes me so I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Thanks for your encouragement,
>>
>>59075073
>Looks like one of my methods wasn't found inside the professor's test, but it's located in my actual program and that method passes test cases I have set up.

That sounds incredibly strange. Even if it's due Sunday you should still be able to dispute the grade, and go up the chain of command if he is a dick about it (which might not be the best option if he likes you).

In any case, best of luck.
>>
>>59075121
Thanks man. Going to bed.
>>
>>59075121
Will spend all day I can debugging (besides class, only one class so I have most of the day to do so)

Hope it can be resolved tomorrow
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.