[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like Linux, and I love the aesthetics of older mac laptops.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: rasp.jpg (13KB, 356x273px) Image search: [Google]
rasp.jpg
13KB, 356x273px
I like Linux, and I love the aesthetics of older mac laptops.

So the dream that keeps me up all night furiously masturbating is putting a raspberry pi or something similar into an ibook g4 body, possibly attached to an "external" (it would be internal to the laptop itself) SSD, new battery (one that can be replaced, that isn't defunct like the actual g4 battery), stock monitor and screen, and whatever other goodies I could do with the body.

The CD drive spot itself could be used for one or two redundant SSDs, or more battery space for that 12+ life.

I can computer, but can't solder, so I need some ideas on how to put the newest, fastest linux I can into the shell of an ibook g4.

Dream with me, /g/
>>
>>59073497
**I meant stock screen and keyboard.

Actually I meant stock keyboard and typing surface. Actually I meant stock coffee cup holder and foot pedal. Actually I meant stock TV and VCR.
>>
>>59073497
Just get a lapdock or pi-top
>>
>>59073497

>raspberry pi

lol
>>
>>59073649
>> I want it in a square case

>> just get rectangle

thanks
>>
>>59073497
Get an ultra book, and put the insides into the macbook, hire someone to do it for you
>>
Buy an old g4, learn to use tools. It's honestly not hard to learn. I think your idea is completely stupid, for the record, but I'm not gonna talk you out of it
>>
>>59073654

"raspberry pi or something similar"

>> stop reading at 'raspberry pi' and post 'lol', being a complete dick sucking faggot nigger and contributing nothing to the thread except pretending to appear superior without actually demonstrating it.

I hope your mom gets cancer on her birthday then dies on her birthday the next year while you go bankrupt trying to save her life. And she wasn't even a good mother, just the few friends in your life told you that you should do something good for someone else, so you do everything you can to save her life, but it turns out that the first time you try to show some affection for another human being, it ends up with you massively in debt and no one to turn to, so you turn to drinking away your feelings until you can't hold your job, and you end up homeless and the only thought that keeps you going is that you want a modern Linux distro in the body of a ibook G4.
>>
>>59073711

I need tools? Do I, fuckstick?

The only tool I've used recently is to turn your mom's asshole inside out and use it to funnel some coolant into my '97 Saturn because it has a bad radiator.

I'm looking for a little DIY advice fuckface, not some sarcastic nonsense from a retarded faggot who eats used melted dildos like gummy worms.
>>
>>59073815

Sorry that was for >>59073716
I apologize
>>
>>59073711
How about I put a modern Linux in a ibook g4 like the fucking thread is about?

You must've just came from that vibrating butt plug and twitched and posted in the wrong fucking thread because your advice is just as worthless as the cum you're wiping off of your chest.

No shit I could get another laptop and cram it into a g4. I'm asking about how to start, if anyone's done this before, and advice.

Drink yourself to death guy.
>>
>>59073761

jokes on you

my mom is already dead
>>
>>Shit, is she?

Sorry man. Turns out >>59073815 was for you.

Anuses are a lot easier to tear out after a few years in a box underground.
>>
>>59073879
Also your mom probably died because you didn't know how to reply to threads properly

And also because she had AIDS from fucking every nigger UPS driver she saw. Her twat was looser than the hole in the Ozone Layer and let in more minorities than Sweden.

I just want to put linux on my G4 man. Why did it come to this?
>>
Not going to be a dick, I'll go along with you on this, but learn how to Fabricate with aluminum. You may have an easier time this way...methinks.

Seriously, welding isn't that hard, just remember to breathe with your nose. I welded for 10 hours straight at work, had a stuffed up nose...and I lost my voice for a couple days because of the fumes.
>>
>>59073815
>Diy advice
So you should probably realize by now you're going to need to know how to use tools, especially if you're working with electronics. You said you didn't want to have to solder anything, I wasn't being saracstic you autistic fuck I was telling you to make something yourself.
>>
>>59073936
I've done a little bit of soldering before, I figured I'll have to resolder the contacts on the PI to wires to connect them to, for example, the USB ports on the G4 case. But welding? Is that necessary for reconfiguring the case? or did you just mean soldering?
>>
>>59073961
I didn't say I didn't want to, I said I didn't know how. I'm looking it up and I have a soldering iron on order.

I mean, I get it, you were probably too busy being raped by your uncle to learn how to fucking read posts, so you have your down syndrome sister read them to you while she jacks you off. I mean, even I might make a mistake in that circumstance.

So no worries.
>>
>>59073497
I've considered this too. The hard part would be adding an encoder for the kb/touchpad. The other part would be a video display adapter, which is easier to find.

I've thought about a custom PCB to replace the logic board, with a cutout to drop in the PI. You'd need to remove the connectors and header pins of the pi and connect them to whatever ports are needed on the board. You would need a voltage regulator to go from the mac battery to the pi.

Then put the design on gofundme and see how many macfags will send you money and just keep the cash.
>>
>>59074095
I'm not too worried about the battery issue, aside from fitting the battery and the plug into the G4 body, there's a lot of PI batteries available at various sizes.

But the touchpad/keyboard issue is something I really know almost nothing about. Would the encoder have to be a separate board? I know the connectors are different than anything available on the PI, but would that be a really rare part or have to be programmed?
I'm not sure what the g4 touchpad and keyboard use to communicate with the MB.
>>
>>59074190
I remember looking at an encoder chip on a broken laptop, it actually contained an entire 1851 processor by itself. You'd need to learn a little bit of firmware encoding, since it's essentially a demultiplexer taking the input from the keyboard grid. I think you can buy or make one from an arduino.

I've thought about tearing apart my G4 powerbook since it's almost useless for anything but typing documents.
>>
>>59074190
The video encoder will need to match the model of LCD for that laptop, better yet spec out a new LCD that is higher res. If I didn't need to worry about rent and electricity I'd run away with this silly project.

If you could get a drop-in kit designed for the right price, I think there's a market out there.

I had a list of parts put together once, but it's cheaper to buy a 2009 macbook from fleabay.
>>
>>59074460
Yeah, I've tried using my g4 for anything I could, I love the style and size and body, but the OS is almost completely obsolete, and replacing it with Linux is really difficult and would just give you either an old or really slow distro at this point.

I'm just starting this process, trying to learn about all I'll need to do to make it happen. I'll research exactly how the touchpad and kb on the g4 works to make it communicate with a modern Linux board. I feel like there might be something smaller than the processor you found, but maybe not with that old of a keyboard.

Like I said, I'm just starting working out a plan for all this. Thanks for helping out.
>>
>>59074596
I know other options are cheaper, I'm looking for exactly what I'm looking for, as a hobby.

I've take apart about a dozen laptops before, but never a mac, let alone a macbook g4. I would love to replace the monitor, obviously keeping the exact size. Is that something that's possible with a modern monitor? I don't know of any site that will give modern-quality monitors at a non-modern aspect ratio.
>>
>>59074596
Not to say I have a shitton to spend or anything. This might take about a year depending on parts, but I really, really like computers.
>>
>>59074636
I gave up and bought a 2007 Intel mac, looks almost the same. Using a raspi with sensors or robotics seems more fun than re-inventing the ibook wheel. If Apple came out with a refresh of the old stuff, that would be neat.

Etching a custom PCB to fit your Pi and ports would be hella fun, and you'd learn a lot without spending a bunch. The real bitch about laptops is surface mount components. I used to solder them in a factory. If this thread is here tomorrow I will post the keyboard chip number from work. Learning to flash firmware on a chip should be cheap also, just time consuming.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.