[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

external processor??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 566.png (186KB, 332x512px)
566.png
186KB, 332x512px
is there such a thing as an external processor?

i'm asking because i got the idea after i just bought a new ex-hard drive.
and i have a year old PC i wanted to strip apart and use.
>>
>>59072710
bump
>>
>>59073035
No, CPUs can only work with a motherboard + RAM.
>>
>>59073064
what about an external graphics card?
>>
>>59072710
a CPU requires very fast circuitry, which requires a very short length of the PCB traces.
If it were to go through a cable from outside of the motherboard, it would be too slow, so it doesn't exist.

>>59073091
GPUs connect to the CPU over a few lines, usually PCIe. That one can go through a longer cable, so it's possible to have an external one.
>>
>>59073091
Yes but very uncommon as it requires the right PCI (or compatible) connector and is usually much more expensive than an internal setup
>>
>>59073091
I think Alienware or MSI have those for their laptops
>>
>>59073091
People do (used to?) do it with a laptop.
>>
>>59072710
pretty much any device that'd count as an external processor would end up having a whole computer inside of it for performance reasons

>>59073091
custom built setups do exist, but IIRC there's nothing actually on the market that officially supports an externally attached graphics card (unless that changed recently)
of course, the performance is fairly bottlenecked

would be neat to see though -- even with the lowered performance, it'd be better than most onboard solutions in laptops and the lot and you wouldn't need to deal with the problems of cooling in the confines of a laptop case -- if you're doing 3D work/playing something graphically intensive, you're probably going to be at your desk, so a plug-in graphics card you can dock a small, light laptop into just makes good sense

but the performance absolutely suffers, which is probably why no manufacturer has really gone down that path
>>
then what about things like supercomputers and clusters?

don't they use multi cpu's?
>>
>>59072710
>is there such a thing as an external processor?
yeah, a second computer connected to the first one over network
>>
>>59073557
>yeah, a second computer connected to the first one over network
can i use the second one to boost the first one's power?
>>
>>59073091
Razer core.

But you pay more for the external enclosure than the GPU itself. It runs thru a thunderbolt port, so it has enough bandwidth to use it to its full capacity.

There are some cheaper ones too.
>>
File: W520_GTX750ti.jpg (308KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
W520_GTX750ti.jpg
308KB, 1333x1000px
>>59073091
>external graphics card?
>>59073250
>People do (used to?) do it with a laptop.

It's easy with the right components. And there are a number of Thunderbolt solutions on the market now, including >>59074696.

>>59073515
>supercomputers and clusters?
>don't they use multi cpu's?

Tens, or hundreds of thousands of CPUs with hundreds of thousands, and some millions of cores.

https://www.top500.org/lists/2016/11/

>>59073626
>can i use the second one to boost the first one's power?

On multi-threaded tasks with appropriate software to support networked computing, yes. About six years ago I networked a core2 duo ThinkPad and an old dual CPU Opteron workstation together to speed up some raytrace rendering.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.