[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WE HAVE A /G/ APPROVED MESSENGER BUT WE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. WHY?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4

File: 1486078930050.png (350KB, 1323x1323px) Image search: [Google]
1486078930050.png
350KB, 1323x1323px
>PRIVATE AND SECURE. Everything you send on Wire is end-to-end encrypted.
>NO PROFILING. Wire cannot read your messages, and does not share or sell your data or contact details to anyone.
>PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL. Register with phone number on mobile, or with email on desktop, then log in with the same account on mobile.
>OPEN SOURCE. Anyone can verify the security of Wire by auditing the code available on GitHub.
>MOBILE, TABLET, DESKTOP. Chats are always in sync and you don’t need your phone to log in on desktop.
>GROUPS. Wire is great for private and secure group conversations with up to 128 people.
>TIMED MESSAGES. Control how long others see your messages, pictures, videos.
>DELETE. Posted something to a wrong chat by accident? No problem, delete it from all receiving devices.
>VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS. Crystal clear quality, developed by the original audio team from Skype.
>GROUP CALLS. Add up to 10 people and enjoy the virtual stereo effect (with headphones) to help you understand who’s talking.
>AUDIO AND VIDEO MESSAGES. Record and send, or choose a clip from your device. There are even fun audio filters to modify your voice.
>GIFS AND SKETCHES. Send a funny GIF or sketch with your finger (try also sketch-on-photo) to send a unique reply.
>FILE SHARING. Securely transfer any file from your device, or from cloud services like Google Drive or Dropbox.
>LOCATION SHARING. Meeting up or giving instructions is easy – just share your current location.
>VIDEOS AND MUSIC. Share a Youtube, Spotify, Vimeo or SoundCloud link in a chat and others can play it without leaving Wire.
>LINK PREVIEWS. Share any web link and we will automatically show the page title and a photo from the page (if available).

https://wire.com

Ok, /g/

We have what you have been asking for since the advent of smartphones.

What autism are you going to use to make excuses out of using this app that fulfills every one of our requirements?

Well? What now, /g/?
>>
I don't use any of this shitty messenger bullshit.
Why the fuck should I care?
>>
>>59070323
>I have no friends
>>
>>59070282
CIA is going to make this app illegal to push us closer to 1984.
>>
Do you know why? Its broken, insecure and SHIT

It doesnt take much effort to realize that nobody uses it because its fucking shit

Idiot
>>
>>59070282
been using it for a year
>>
>>59070282
my friends are normies that will only use Facebook Messenger
I'm sure I'm not the only one
>>
>>59070282

Great. So there is a platform available so I can chat with autistic social rejects.
>>
>>59070836
>my friends are normies that will only use Facebook Messenger

sad
>>
>>59070282
I don't use it because of the amount of potentially paid shilling that it gets on /g/. I have seen this exact thread, with the exact same title several times and that either means that there is a couple people with some serious autism who keeps making these threads (which I will admit is likely) or wire is receiving funding from people with money who are interested in privacy things (as in the NSA wanting to get exploits into it) and they are using some of that money to hire shills. Either way the excessive shilling makes me less likely to use this shit even if I had a use for another shitty messaging app.
>>
>>59071717
I shill every privacy app on /g/ so you think everything is an NSA botnet.

Works great.
>>
>>59071783
What's your end game?
>>
Never heard of it. Looks nice, though.

Thing is, it will probably be dead in a few years, while WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger will be still here.
>>
>>59071802
To make /g/ not use anything at all.
>>
File: bigguy.png (112KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.png
112KB, 250x250px
>>59070282

>shilling this hard
>>
>>59070282
Tox.
>>
>>59072156
>Tox.

It is so not /g/ approved. Not even proven to work.
>>
>requires Google Botnet (WeTracku4FREE) Services version 666.666.6-RELEASE

Dropped and stomped on. Call me when it's not a literal botnet.
>>
>>59072209
>Tox
>not /g/ approved
Newfag spotted. Tox was literally created by some people on /g/. Tox is one of the few /g/ projects that didn't die within a week.
>>
>>59072209
tox was literally started on /g/ even though the devs try to distance themselves from it now
>>
fuck you and your shit messenger and fuck tox as well. kill yourselves.
>>
>messenger
Why
>>
>>59072241
/g/ can create any kind of shit. It doesn't mean it works. Until it is proven to work and audited, it's nothing.
>>
>>59072295
I never said it was good, I just said that it's "/g/ approved" or as close as you can get because it was literally created by /g/.
>>
>>59072323
It is not /g/ approved unless the code actually does what it claims to do, retard.

Stop being retarded. I can make an IM client the same way Tox was made right now and you still can't call what I make /g/ approved.
>>
File: bigboat.jpg (134KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
bigboat.jpg
134KB, 500x307px
>>59070282

if they aren't selling our info or showing ads, how do they make money?
>>
>>59072392
Same as Telegram. They are funded to create a product, make it free for now and then charge for premium features later.
>>
>>59072392
>At the moment (August, 2016) Wire doesn’t make any money. Wire is backed by Iconical and Skype co-founder Janus Friis with plans to monetize in the future with premium features.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Wire-com-make-money
>>
>>59072352
You are not /g/. Your standards do not apply for the entire user base of /g/. Please stop trying to claim that you are the arbitrator of /g/ software standards. Also the Tox code does do what it claims to do, it enables encrypted messaging (albeit with a home brewed crypto library which could use some testing). Finally, the reason why I consider Tox to be /g/ approved is because it was created by /g/ users from a thread on /g/ after the Snowden revelations; if you just shat out a IM client I would not consider it /g/ approved as it wasn't a project formed on /g/ by the /g/ community.
>>
>>59072471
The /g/ community did not make Tox. Some fags on /g/ made it. There is absolutely nothing to show that Tox is actually secure. Again, stop being retarded.
>>
>>59072494
The /g/ community did make Tox, it was thought up in a thread on /g/ and development was started by /g/ users. If you don't consider that to be enough to consider it created by the /g/ community then I don't know how you can every consider any project to be created by a community. Also I have looked into it and Tox uses an established crypto library, NaCl via libsodium (the same encryption library used by dnscrypt and many other programs) so this myth that tox uses insecure homebrew crypto (which I will admit i believed until I looked it up just now) is in fact false.
>>
What was wrong with texting? Why has everyone switched to walled gardens when they could use a universal standard that is quite literally ubiquitous across the entire planet?
>>
>>59072908
Texting is really limited, not secure and controlled by carriers.
>>
>>59072274
fuck you
>>
>>59071802
To crash /g/ with no cia niggers
>>
>>59072209
You're an idiot. It's even in the wiki you moron.
>>
Conversations with your own xmpp server is the /g/ standard
>>
https://matrix.org
>>
>>59070813
No, it's far better than Fox.
>>
>>59070282
Signal recently introduced encrypted video calling. Update the chart bub.

And does Wire have a sick looking AMOLED theme?
>>
>>59072213
Maybe you should request it on F-Droid.
>>
>>59072908
International texting is expensive and carbon copy is inferior to group chat
>>
>>59075989
When it goes stable, sure
>>
>>59074084
The /g/ standard is not talking to anyone ever outside of /g/.
>>
>>59072292
Are you asking why people communicate with each other?

Yeah I have no idea either.
>>
>>59070282
>>VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS. Crystal clear quality, developed by the original audio team from Skype.
>developed by the original audio team from Skype
>SKYPE
>NSA COLLABORATOR
and there it is, /thread close it down
>>
I'd rather wait for Matrix to mature, federated chat will always be better than centralized chat, always.

Wire is cool now, it may not even exist tomorrow or it may change its policies, etc., then you have to migrate all your shit to a new service. This has been very common for me with things like icq, aim, msn, etc. but irc, xmpp, and other things like it still work fine today, everywhere and the clients work exactly the same as they did without features removed or services dropped.
>>
>>59076949
No it's not.
>>
>>59076949
So edgy
>>
>>59076960
sad
>>
>>59072908
you mean email or xmpp?
>>
>>59070803
Hail our timetraveling overlords
>>
>>59072908
Because a lot of countries don't have unlimited text and call plans, and these clients offer extra features like file sharing, image sharing, group chat and other things you can't do trough normal texting.
>>
>>59076991
How do you get your normie friends to do that tho?

Also idk how to do that on my phone.
>>
>>59081055
>How do you get your normie friends to do that tho?

If they are really your friends they will want to use the same IM client you want to use.
>>
>>59081844
>If they are really your friends they will want to use the same IM client you want to use.

>If you love me, you do as I say

No, they won't. They'll use what is most convenient for their social media bullshit, which Anon probably isn't part of.
>>
>>59070282
>>FILE SHARING. Securely transfer any file from your device, or from cloud services like Google Drive or Dropbox.

Max 25MB :^)
>>
>>59081930
More like

>friends should have the same values as you

So wanting the same IM client isn't out of the question, especially if you both value privacy.
>>
this is now /g/ disapproved. fuck off.
>>
>>59081844
I mean, sometimes I can convince them to switch their normie services. But ultimately they have friends other than me, and everyone hates having 20 different messaging apps on their phones.

Also sometimes they don't actually like them even if I get them to try them out.
>>
>>59070282
Trash.
>>
>>59082881
Pick one good one and be passionate about how useful it can be to them. If you have something in common they will be won over.

Most people have more than one chat app on their phone anyway so one more is not a big deal. They should be blaming their friends for putting them on 5 different apps, not you for putting them on 1 standard, secure protocol like XMPP or Signal.
>>
>>59070789
>friends
>4chan
Fuck off, normalfag. I'm being serious here.
>>
>>59070836
> having shitty friends
basically the same as having no friends
>>
>>59070282
Can I run my own server?

Can this be used without registration on anything but THAT server?

Otherwise XMPP or even email is just superior.
>>
>>59082933
Can you recommend a good client for Android?

That also happens to have a desktop client and syncs the messages?
>>
>>59083415
Wire
>>
>>59070803
t. Terry
>>
I use Discord because that's what other people I know use. Your choice of messaging client is determined by your friends. Even if I approved of a particular client, I could at most convince 1-2 of my friends to switch to it, and then we'd either have to be running multiple messaging clients, or switch back because others refused to use the one we like.

Back in the day, I used to use WASTE, which was honestly fucking amazing for what it did at the time. Pity it never became very widespread or popular; at most I had 3 people other than myself using it and we all liked it, but it ended up falling out of use because people would lose keys in reformats and kept having to trade new keys, others would forget to load the program up, and others just plain refused to keep using it.
>>
>>59083679
>Your choice of messaging client is determined by your friends.

beta male detected
>>
I do use it and have all of my family & co-workers on it
>>
>>59082374
no
>>
>>59083679
>I use Discord because that's what other people I know use.

You need to be 18+ to post here.
>>
>requires phone number
um, no thanks? dropped.
>>
>>59086442
um, no it doesn't? picked up.
>>
File: 1417735371097.jpg (63KB, 392x398px) Image search: [Google]
1417735371097.jpg
63KB, 392x398px
>>59070789
>friends will use my shitty obscure messenger that doesn't interface with le SocialMedia™
sure thing kiddo
>>
>>59086525
>downloaded app
>click register
>asked for phone number
BTFO
>>
>>59086442
>>59087848
It doesn't require a phone number. Sign up on desktop and all it needs is an email.
>>
>>59086442
>>59087848
>>59086525
The OP even says it doesn't need a phone number, dumbasses.
>>
>>59081055
>normie friends
In my city they all use sms, facebook messenger is nerdshit tier for them so no messaging app is even a concern. I honestly don't care for those people anyway and make active efforts to avoid communicating with them to begin with, I have plenty of friends without weird stipulations and would rather talk to them, so it all works out given this is a communication tool. If it really came down to it though, you just do the same thing you do for any other service, tell them you use it and hope the registration process is simple in the clients, this won't be hard for my set of friends since they're all fed up with current im services anyway.
>>
>>59087990
iMessage is the big thing for half of my friends aka the iOS ones. The other half use Facebook.
>>
has there ever been ever a more transperent of the post marketing or not the future or past I think!?!?!?!?
>>
>>59070789
hi, you must be new here.
>>
>>59089028
>I have no friends so everybody on /g/ must be like me!

No. Just no.
>>
>>59087990
Around here it's mostly Whatsapp, tho a few normies are shilling Telegram quite hard as of late.

I personally convinced a couple of friends to use Google Hangouts, mostly because I really want an app that stores my chat history from beggining to end and does so in the cloud.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.