[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What stage are you on?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 23

File: 1460388825542.jpg (282KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1460388825542.jpg
282KB, 1000x1000px
What stage are you on?
>>
macos because it just works
>>
>>59064700
Went to Arch first off, never moved. It does everything I want and I see no reason to switch.
>>
>>59064700
Ubuntu part 2
>>
The last stage, realizing I don't need to waste my time on that shit because my job does not require it. Wangblows just works, period.
>>
>>59064700
true. I'm at the last stage perfectly happy with Gnome on Fedora 25. Upgrading doesn't break shits anymore and it just wreks.
>>
You missed the stage when one goes back to Windows 7
>>
Ubuntu to Arch to Gentoo (it is unironically the best distro) Gentoo is not even that difficult once you have installed it a few times.
>>
>>59064700
last one but i still hope i will go back to debian once debian devs realize that they should allow PPAs for GPU drivers and productivity software.
>>
>>59064700
Last one. I'm on Fedora 25.
Wayland is a piece of shit, though. Noticeable performance drop compared to X and common things still don't work (VDPAU).
>>
>>59064700
I went Mint->Arch->Ubuntu->Antergos

I'm pretty content with Antergos because it combines simplicity of mint/Ubuntu with the package manager of arch.
>>
>>59064834
>common things still don't work (VDPAU)
Disregard that, I suck cocks.
I fiddled with it a bit and managed to make it work by setting the correct driver in an environmental variable. The piece of shit was trying to load the nVidia driver, even though I have Radeon graphics.
>>
Gentoo
:^)
>>
>>59064700
I'm on the last stage. I use straight Ubuntu. I'll probably hop over to Fedora once GNOME 3.24 is released though.

>>59064834
I don't know if it's the new kernel or not but Fedora 25 + Wayland has GNOME moving pretty snappy. The overview animation has never been smoother for me. I just can't stick with it because of the whole isolated windows thing. You'd think it'll only be little things like Gpick that would be unusable but it extends to dragging and dropping files from a .rar file, even. At least Nautilus 3.24 is providing a fix for not being able to open a sudo session of it on Wayland.
>>
Caldera to Slackware to freebsd to PC BSD to suse.

Spent a lot of time on slackware.
>>
Started with #! and when it died I switched to pure Debian.
>>
On the windows stage nearing the osx stage
>>
File: linuxveterans.jpg (311KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
linuxveterans.jpg
311KB, 640x1136px
Literally the only acceptable distros:

>Fedora
>Void
>Gentoo
>Debian & Devuan
>>
>>59064700
The "clinging to windows 7 until it loses support" stage
>>
The second Ubuntu stage.

Never actually used gentoo or arch,
but I did use openbox and I3 for a while.
>>
>>59064700

Win2016, because just works!
>>
File: UBUNUT.png (32KB, 304x138px) Image search: [Google]
UBUNUT.png
32KB, 304x138px
>>59064700

start on slackware, knowing nothing
after several years dual-booting, distro hop for about 2-3 years
all other distros suck
go back to slackware because it just works
also after 24 years it finally has package management and easy-to-set-up multilib and LUKS and repos for almost everything
>literally no reason to use anything else

also
>customize very little because you realize that is not that important
spending 20-30 minutes on initial setup of and 30-300 seconds every so often adding to/modifying an elegant set of WM keybindings, notification/monitoring scripts, handlers for programs that support them, and helper scripts to automate/extend the functionality of common tasks and tools will cumulatively save countless hours in the long run. eye candy is not so worth it, but there is so much more that you can customize than just what your desktop looks like.
>>
Debian stage since before any and all of the other distros from OP's pic even existed. Previous stage was Slackware and RedHat before that.
>>
>>59064700

last stage was my first stage tbqh

>pic related
>the best OS
>>
my path was

vista > 7 > ubuntu > 7 > fedora > 7 > 10 > arch > 10 > sabyon > 10
>>
>>59065709
for a beginner user like me, can you suggest some projects I can do that can automate things to make things easier like you say?

I went from Windows user to Ubuntu and now I'm using suse and I'm actually enjoying customising the look of things, although I've had to spend a lot of time fixing other things like audio driver issues and the like also. I'm learning a lot about how the file system works and interacts. just learned to create links as a workaround to a problem I encountered too.
>>
>>59065274
>Void
>literally the definition of meme
>acceptable
It is as fine as Arch and Gentoo is.
>>
>>59065931
don't think I'm vain enough to be posting in desktop threads at any point though.
>>
>>59064753
Ubuntu part 3
Return of the rice
>>
I'm on the last stage using Ubuntu

Will switch to fedora next release
>>
I skipped all of those and went straight to debain and stayed there
>>
>>59064700
Change Ubuntu-based distro to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and then to Leap. Now have SUSE&Win7 in dualboot and do not want go to Arch/Gentoo stage, cuz it silly and very painful.
>>
>>59064700
I started with arch though.
>>
>>59065931
what do you do often?
the most basic is defining aliases for long command lines you have type out
after that, think of any situation in a terminal where you type out a long command line (not necessarily even) with parts that change, and then based on the result of that you do some number of things. that can be replaced by a relatively straightforward shell script.
then you can tie shell scripts to keybindings in your wm/de and make things even faster
a good idea is to make a ~/bin and add it to your path
if there are things you want to automatically happen at specific intervals, make a script and stick it in cron

this was something i wrote recently to speed up taking screencaps. it takes two arguments, first one is the name/path of the file (without the .png), second is optional, if it's r it takes the whole screen instead of just a portion. if the directory doesn't exist, it is created. if the file already exists, numbers are added to the end of the name until it gets to one that doesn't exist yet.
#!/bin/bash
dir=$HOME/$(dirname "$1")
name=$(basename "$1")
[[ $2 = r ]] && opt="-window root"
[[ -e $dir && ! -d $dir ]] && notify-send "$dir is not a directory!" && exit 1
[[ ! -e $dir ]] && mkdir -p "$dir"
while [[ -e $dir/$name$num.png ]] ; do num=$(($num+1)); done
notify-send "saving $([[ -v opt ]] && echo 'root ')to $dir/$name$num.png"
import $opt "$dir/$name$num.png"

then in my window manager i added the following keybindings:
Print :Exec cap img/"$(dmenu -p "capture to img/" </dev/null)" 
Mod4 Print :Exec cap img/"$(dmenu -p "capture root to img/" </dev/null)" r

so when i hit PrintScreen it opens dmenu, i type in the file name, hit enter, select an area of the screen, and that's it, don't have to worry about the directory existing or clobbering existing files.

longer example: script to help me in my long and tiresome quest to digitize my 600+ jungle/dnb vinyls
http://pastebin.com/Ceakrr7s
>>
>tfw final stage
>using arch
I'd settle for fedora or ubuntu but I like current hardware too much.
>>
95 > 2000 > xp > vista > 7 > mint > 7 > 10 > ubuntu gnome > arch using gnome > arch with i3

I guess arch is terminal, but we'll see in a few years
>>
>>59064737
This, changing distros is more of a hassle than maintaining Arch/Gentoo will ever be.
>>
>>59066560
that is a useful little script. this is exactly the kind of stuff I want to start doing. hmm... I've got a huge music library that I used to use winamp to organise but maybe I can write a script that organizes every song with the same syntax... make it a little project.
>>
>>59066560
the ripping script has some retarded/wrong lines but it was pretty much the first script i wrote that more than a few lines and i still didn't know bash very well coming from things like perl, and it still works as intended even if it's for the wrong reasons
>>
Windows
>>
Fedora > Arch Cinnamon > Arch i3 > Fedora > Ubuntu

After too many wireless issues on Arch and hidpi issues that no DE was able to solve decently I gave Unity a try. WQHD screen on 14" screen and 1.5 scaling on Unity and shit looks amazing and not totally misplaced unlike Cinnamon or Gnome. Shit just works on Ubuntu and it's still Linux so I don't care anymore. Still can customize with gnome tweak tools so win-win.
>>
Debian -> Ubuntu for one week -> Debian Sid
This was two years ago I believe. Thanks Windows 10.
>>
>>59065972
was about to post this
>>
>>59066676
id3info and id3tag are command-line utilities that can return/set tags. read up on the output options, then look at how you can use things like grep, cut, and awk (a little mini-scripting language of it's own that can process, reformat, extract, and do other things with lines of text that you pass through it.

the only thing is you want to be super careful, especially if you haven't done bash scripting before, because there are a lot of weird little quirks about how bash works and if you do anything that moves/copies/removes files you can accidentally your whole directory. that's how valve "rm -rf /"ed the computers of people using steam on linux
>>
File: 1472133502779.jpg (322KB, 1876x954px) Image search: [Google]
1472133502779.jpg
322KB, 1876x954px
>>59064700
ubuntu > ubuntu mate > manjaro > arch > 1 hour later > w10
>>
>>59066786
Cheers based anon. I will look into this. I'll make sure to backup stuff before I mess a round with those utils - perhaps I'll write a backup script.
Am I good at Linux yet?
>>
>>59065972
Same desu
>>
>>59066851
but there's already rsync...
>>
>>59064700
I've done the full circle, i did like Fedora, but I had to go back to Arch before long, I fell in love with the AUR, so Arch is the only distro for me.
>>
>>59066894
looks awesome. seems I don't need to write a backup script then I suppose. Still new but picking stuff up every day.

moving from Windows Linux really is amazing. The utility and power of Linux I guess really starts to show when you begin to harness it. I've only just started but it's stuff like this that makes me want to keep digging, finding new things and learning more.
>>
>>59064700
>started with debian
>sticked with debian
>still using debian
>>
>>59064700
Mint is garbage though.
>>
Eh, I guess at or close to the end. Went from Ubuntu to Arch, tinkered a bit with Gentoo (never used it on my primary machine). Then I used Trisquel for a while and decided Debian would be better because Trisquel is dead. Been using Debian on my laptop for about a month now I guess, with Ubuntu on my desktop because it just werks.
>>
File: 1487180409210-pol.jpg (247KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487180409210-pol.jpg
247KB, 800x600px
Started with Ubuntu and its derivatives. Moved around to debian and Raspbian. Neither had enough hard compatibility or usability of Ubuntu. Went back to Ubuntu and am currently using MATE 16.04.

Arch a shit and for autists where time is meaningless to them.
>>
Debian primarily because arch maintainers are faggots and no segregation of nonfree software.

my debian hypervisor has like 3 fedora 25 machines running and I will admit that out of the box, fedora does do some things right.

Strict SELinux policies, firewalld, etc.

but dealing with those things on a latptop/desktop isn't really fun.
>>
>>59067396
MATE is pretty cozy, isn't it?
>>
>>59064700
use solus or ikea injects you with his cum from his big shiny budgie
>>
Ubuntu (7.04 is when I started using Linux exclusively) -> Suse -> Arch -> Manjaro -> Void -> Fedora -> macOS
>>
started with debian
the one I used for the longest time without hopping was Fedora (almost 6 releases).

debian again, this time stable.

Might switch to *buntu LTS when I upgrade my computorb but for as long as I'm stuck on the current one I feel no reason to reinstall the system for no reason.
>>
>>59067212
This is so important. Keep at it Anon. You're gonna go far with that shine in your eye. Not even being a troll about this. I keep looking at Linux but am too scared to take the plunge and learn.

Godspeed.
>>
File: slackware-logo.jpg (13KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
slackware-logo.jpg
13KB, 285x285px
>>59064700

who else started here?
>>
>>59064700
the last one. i'm using linux since 2002 (redhat 8) and mostly had redhat, fedora, gentoo and ubuntu. sticked with ubuntu because it just werks fine and has great mainstream support out of the box. my time is too valuable to fuck around with shit like gentoo or arch on a desktop setup.
>>
File: Madoka_bloatware_systemd.png (654KB, 750x850px) Image search: [Google]
Madoka_bloatware_systemd.png
654KB, 750x850px
>>59064700
I'm sticking to Gentoo and everytime I have to deal with Ubuntu on desktop I reinforce my hate towards systemd.
Debian is cool though. I find it on most of the servers I administer.
>>
>>59064700
Last one, Debian. I went Ubuntu > Fedora > Arc > Debian.
>>
>>59067212
yeah it's really hard for me to explain to my windows friends the basic power and flexibility of unix shell. for instance, this scans a directory for images matching a minimum size (1920x1080 by default) and creates links to them in a separate directory, easy way to filter images that could be used as wallpapers
#!/bin/bash
# requires imagemagick
# sets first/second argument to directories you want to use
img_dir="$1"
wall_dir="$2"

# self explanatory
MIN_WIDTH=${3:-1920}
MIN_HEIGHT=${4:-1080}

# file extensions to check for (separated by | because they will be used in regex)
FILE_TYPES='jpg|gif|png'

shopt -s globstar extglob nocaseglob

if [[ -d $img_dir && -d $wall_dir && -w $wall_dir ]]
then
for img in "$img_dir"/**/*.@($FILE_TYPES); do
width=$(identify -format "%w" -- "$img[0]")
height=$(identify -format "%h" -- "$img[0]")
dir=$(dirname -- "${img#$img_dir/}")
[[ -e $wall_dir/$dir ]] || mkdir -p "$wall_dir/$dir"
action=Skipped
[[ $width -ge $MIN_WIDTH && $height -ge $MIN_HEIGHT ]] && ln -sr "$img" "$wall_dir" && action=Added
echo "$action $img (${width}x$height)"
done
else echo "$0 <directory to scan> <directory to make symlinks> [min width (1920)] [min height (1080)]"
fi

>>59067598
started and finished. the only real direction to from Slackware is BSD or plan9
>>
>>59064700
Last stage, with Fedora on desktops (though I may also try it on Raspberry) where I use XFCE, out of laziness for better things like FVWM, out of patience for KDE (was using it when it went from 3 to 4: never ever again such shit; be very quiet about it if you're one responsible for that, as someone will one day beat your worthless piece of shit ass really bloody; or brag about it, as you're after all not even worth the bullet you still deserve in the back of your head) and out of genuine disgust for Gnome.

Also use CentOS on servers and router.

First things I tried were Redhat and Mandriva in the late 90's, but lack of at home Internet kept me away.

Then Ubuntu with Warty, as erryone was talking about it. Was cheap half assed shit then, and still was errytime I looked back at Ubuntu.

Then I rly learned with LFS, then Gentoo.

Then decided not to waste so much time and went with Debian.

Then got fed up with the niggering SJWry visibly consuming more of Debian resources than actually working on making a distro worthy of this name. Also got fed up of the stupidly short lifecycle for servers, while still stupidly long for desktops, with unbearably long testing and unstable freezes. May it horribly die in fire, together.

Then went with Fedora and CentOS. Am now happy and know peace, at last.
>>
>>59067761
*together with anyone associated with that SJW crap
>>
>>59067761
>fvwm
my nigger.
tried it out for the first time this weekend, stayed up all night playing with the config
>>
File: 1455194096926.jpg (75KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
1455194096926.jpg
75KB, 600x797px
>tfw ascended past autistic OS nitpicking
>>
>>59067798
It's great.

Still get some entrenched habits from my fvwm days, like a rather thick dashboard on the left side of the screen, with big overview of all virtual desktops, and icons only taskbar.

Beware, though: that one rabbit hole is bottomless.
>>
I'm at the last stage, with Fedora 25 KDE.

It simply works.
>>
>>59064700
I'm on the eternal Antergos stage
I have transcended distro switching and moved to the infinitely higher plane of rolling filesystems - currently on btrfs
>>
Started with Debian and then Ubuntu as a kid. Then Mint, then Arch/Debian, now Gentoo after realizing how silly it is to make everything difficult for myself by distro hopping since it's all the same shit anyway.
>>
>>59064700
i'm at the last stage, happy on ubuntu mate.
i started on mint then went to arch and after using arch for a while i switched to manjaro and shortly after i found ubuntu mate and stuck with it.
>>
File: 5160856.png (415KB, 465x903px) Image search: [Google]
5160856.png
415KB, 465x903px
>>59064795
Yup, he sure did.
>>
File: averagelifeg.png (393KB, 1000x1300px) Image search: [Google]
averagelifeg.png
393KB, 1000x1300px
>>59064700
The last one
>>
>>59067918
Yeah I had slept the whole day before because sick or fatigue or idk and then had planned out this whole schedule planned out to stay up all night and catch up on all the work i had piled up but then i started reading the docs for FVWM around 12:30 or so and before I knew it it was 8am
i have an icons-only taskbar on fluxbox though

the one thing I didn't like about FVWM is that it didn't have the same kind of tiling that you can do with fluxbox, although I'm guess you can just write your own function to do more advanced tiling behavior? the extensibility in general blew my mind
>>
>>59068279
last time I used it, there were tiling scripts, yes
though they were not that great at the time (last time I used it was maybe 8 years ago)

that actually is among those things I tell myself I'll use as an excuse to take another plunge in FVWM someday

anyhow, best windows manager memories I have are with FVWM
after FVWM, consequences can never be the same
>>
>>59068264
Yup, I went through the entire cycle before even lurking /g/. The Mint/Arch/Gentoo stages were a little more than a year total, then I spent 2 or 3 years on Ubuntu, then I got a Mac.
>>
>>59067598
1996 reporting for duty.
>>
>>59064700
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD NSA! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET! THE! FUCK! OUT! YOU CAN'T FORCE ME TO USE WINDOWS YOU GODDAMN NIGGERS!
>>
File: k1ivcX2.jpg (69KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
k1ivcX2.jpg
69KB, 1920x816px
Nothing shows you have arrived more than the root lost+found of your main machine having been created 7 years ago.
Debian btw
>>
>>59068375
>I went through the entire cycle before even lurking /g/.
Are you me?
>Mint
You're not me.

On the sad side it's a shame that things that are really easy on Windows/OSX are really overly complicated on Linux. I remember when I switched from Arch or Ubuntu to Win7 and I was amazed of how easy things were.

On the plus side, all you learn with Linux can take it with you to a OSX (Cygwin is a nice try).
>>
NSA! FUCK OFF!!
>>
>>59068364
My best WM memories were using enlightenment.... 12 or 13 years ago? so much eye candy and textured decorations and the same kind of virtual desktop paradigm as fvwm. when i'm not too busy to spend several days straight on it, i'll finish building the latest sources for everything and get into it again, figure out which of the components work and which ones broke after 4 years of not being developed, make at least a simple style that doesn't look like shit, rewrite the build scripts, make packages, feel good about providing something for my distro
>>
>>59068485
was using it at about the same time as you, just before my long FVWM era, actually
it looked great at the time, but was not too fond of usability and rough corners here and there
>>
>>59064700
I use Debian because it just werks and literally nothing breaks. I see nothing wrong with Ubuntu, but I choose to use Debian because that's what I like.
>>
>>59068536
>Debian
>literally nothing breaks
those pajeet standards
>>
>Slackware
>RedHat
>Gentoo
>Slackware
>Debian Sid (4 years)
>MacOS
>OpenBSD (past 2 years)
>>
>>59068534
they seem to have spent 10 years just rewriting the libraries for it and now the idea is to make something that could work consistently across anything with a display, from a wearable to some giant multi-screen setup. just curious to see if it is less buggy and has more features. they say it has a tiling mode (not like a command to arrange but like an actual tiling wm)
they added a lot of DE stuff to it but it looks like you can still turn most of it off and run it like just a WM.

the old version (i have e16) still looks great for shitposting in desktop threads but i haven't tried using it for anything else.
>>
>>59068555
>pajeet standards
>installed Debian
>configured everything I needed
>torrent+mail+sshd+nginx+rsync
>updates via cron
>never touched the box again
>lost uptime because I stopped paying for the box
whatever you mean faggot
>>
>>59068700
>Debian on servers
much too short lifecycle for that use
upgrade path rarely that great
been there, done that
and for a lot more than 200 days.
>>
>>59064795
because it doesn't exist for any competent user
>>
>>59064700
Went from 1st to 5th without doing all those steps. Every OS will do if I can do ssh on it. The worst OS among all of them is iOS, but that's because it's impossible to ctrl+c/crtl+x there.
>>
>>59068760
>much too short lifecycle for that use
3 years seems fine to me>
>upgrade path rarely that great
What do you mean by this?
>for a lot more than 200 days
I wish I could too.
>>
>>59068760
> upgrade path rarely that great
It almost never breaks unless you patch it with libs built from source.
>>
>>59064700
Never used gentoo or arch. Ubuntu -> Fedora -> "Debian and make everything just like arch" (netinst), and that's it.
>>
I started on ubuntu bc it was easy to install
moved to manjaro
tried arch didn't like the community
moved back to manjaro
moved to gentoo
moved to antergos
tried void didn't like it
moved back to antergos
just werkz
>>
Started with Fedora, went to Arch, then Gentoo, and now I've been on Arch a while.
>>
>>59068814
Man, I feel your pain when I'm working away with my MacOS. I wanted to installed Debian on it but fuck that, might as well use MacOS.
>>
>>59069073
>>
I went Win98 > Win XP > Mint > Win 7 > Ubuntu > Win10 > Ubuntu > Mint.

I found an old laptop I had and I'm considering putting Debian on it to fuck around with.
>>
>>59064711
Why are you in this thread?
>>
>>59065904
It takes very high resolution screenshots. Wow.
>>
>>59066121
I too am a severe masochist.
>>
>>59068836
>3 years seems fine to me
not to me
CentOS has about 10 years lifecycle, with a new release about erry 3-4 years
that for one is worthy of being deemed a server distro

for desktops, 3 years instead is much too long (6 months is fine by me, particularly with the semi rolling release of Fedora)

and testing/unstable do break a real whole lot (on top of beeing frozen for about a year erry 3 years)

rly, Debian lifecycle is poor, not actually fit for any use case
I know I'm gonna hear about manpower, mah-universal OS, yada-yada
still don't care for the why
I only look at the facts

>What do you mean by this?
>>59068838
>almost never breaks
I've known Debian from Sarge up to Wheezy
used it on shitloads of physical servers, actual VMs and containers (dating back to pre LXC/Docker, ie VServer and OpenVZ)
believe me or not, upgrade from stable Debian do break things, and much less rarely than commonly admitted
>>
Using Linux since 1999
>Red Hat Linux 5.9 (1999)
>SUSE Linux Enterprise 10
>Ubuntu 8.04-15.04
>Arch Linux
>>
Ubuntu -> Mint -> Debian -> Arch -> Debian -> Mint

I really want to go back to Debian because it doesn't have the bloat, but the devs are fucking retarded.
>>
>>59068264
>macos
>win10
>"work"
>>
>>59064700
using Arch and I have absolutely no issues with it because I'm not a Pajeet brainlet who can't use a computer
>>
>>59064700
Last one:
>ubuntu
>mint
>debian
>fedora
>freebsd/openbsd
>debian
>ubuntu mate
>>
>>59070370
Isn't it a huge hassle to have to keep up with which package updates might break your system?
>>
>>59064700
win98 > puppy linux > win xp > win7 > win8 > ubuntu > win7 > ubuntu > mint > win10 for three minutes > antergos > arch > freeBSD > arch

it's been a long journey but I'm comfy now
>>
>>59070414
not in the slightest. it's happened to me once in three years of using arch, and I had it fixed in twenty minutes.
>>
>>59064700
What the hell is wrong with that Debian icon?

Laptop:
>Damn Small Linux (testing Linux for the first time)
>Xubuntu
>Arch
>Debian
>Ubuntu MATE
>hardware died

Desktop (W10 dualboots, first install was after the laptop died):
>Fedora
>Ubuntu
>CentOS (don't ever do this at home kids)
>openSUSE <--- you are here

Server:
>Debian
>FreeBSD (for about two years)
>Ubuntu Server (never again)
>Debian (since 2015)
>>
>>59064737
Same, Arch is godly desu
>>
>>59064700
Went like Debian -> Ubuntu -> (Fedora +) Mint -> Debian again
>>
>>59064700
Last, Ubuntu LTS w/ hse for kernel upgrades.

>default Ubuntu wallpaper
>>
>>59064700
Went from stage 1 to 5 in a matter of months.
>>
>>59068264
I'm using GNU/Linux to make software you and billions of other people use every single day, m8.
>>
Ubuntu to debian to mint to fedora and back to mint (some rhel on servers, and *bsd). Everything up to and including fedora was during high school and undergrad. Now I'm working on PhD in machine learning
>>
>>59064700
i went Ubuntu>Mint>Debian>Kali>Mint Debian Edition>Manjaro on my main laptop, straight to Xubuntu on my other.
>>
>>59064700
Went from Slackware to Debian. Have no intention of leaving. I am considering CentOS but that's a big maybe
>>
>>59064700
Debian -> Fedora -> Parabola -> Gentoo -> Arch -> macOS

Switching jobs at the moment, if they decide to provide me a Mac, great, otherwise I'll probably go with Fedora or Ubuntu because I need it to just werk, I'm not the one to sacrifice productivity for e-peen.

That said, I've been meaning to get into NixOS, and I miss using a tiling window manager, but that will have to go on a secondary system that I won't rely on to put food on the table, at least until I get a solid setup.
>>
>>59064700
Gentoo for over ten years now.

Your experience isn't mine, it hasn't made much difficult.
>>
>>59064700
final stage I guess but I never went bleeding edge/obscure

I went Ubuntu > Debian > Ubuntu (Kubuntu)
>>
Ubuntu > Arch > KDE Neon

Arch doesn't offer any meaningful benefit over Ubuntu and I went back because things like Bluetooth and proper font rendering just werks out of the box on Ubuntu based distros
>>
First stage, using Ubuntu GNOME. Trying to decide whether I like the new Cinnamon features enough to jump ship to Mint and abandon GNOME's Activities overlay. Though perhaps having a window list in the panel would render the Activities overlay somewhat moot. Hmm.
>>
I started with mint though.
>>
>>59064737
Same here
>>
File: unix mac.jpg (401KB, 1976x1202px) Image search: [Google]
unix mac.jpg
401KB, 1976x1202px
Stage 6: Bought a Mac
>>
>>59066560
you could just use the built-in screencap tool which auto names them for you and saves them in ~/Screenshots or similar
>typical linux user
>>
Arch for 2 years until last month when I switched to Fedora. FeelsComfy
>>
>>59071752
OS X is kind of crappy as a UNIX machine, though. I mean, it's great if you use Photoshop and want to SSH once in a while or something, but all the commandline stuff is out of date.

You can update stuff through brew or whatever, but if you really want a *nix machine get something dedicated with GNU/Linux or one of the other BSDs.
>>
>>59067240
this
>>
>>59071849
I agree, but nothing's stopping you from installing the GNU coreutils.

It's a Mac, not an iPad, you can actually install arbitrary software on it.
>>
>>59071849
Eh, I can't help but feel like macOS has all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks. I have no reason to use Linux anymore—macOS is vastly superior.
>>
>>59071752
>Stage 6: Bought a Mac
And now fucking everything uses Docker, and Docker for Mac is horrible. So I'm back on Arch.
>>
>>59064700
ascended the GNU cancer and using netbsd
>>
>>59071775
what "built-in" tool? something that opens a GUI, a save file dialog, etc? something that always takes the whole screen by default? something that "auto names" them with a timestamp, because that's how i remember what the fuck it was i was capping?
i like using ImageMagick's import because it takes less than a second to start, it gives me a very convenient and thin crosshair, i can either click to select a window or click and drag to select a rectangle, and it doesn't share it's entire name with the first 71% of "scrotum"
i like using dmenu because it takes less than a second to start and I can just type in whatever I want.
i find my script convenient because I can pass a path of any arbitrary depth to instantly organize caps and give it a descriptive name, and unlike running the full import command manually (what i was doing before), it doesn't fail if the directory doesn't exist and it doesn't overwrite existing files.

why would i do something that doesn't give me these very tangible and time-saving benefits?
>>
>>59071868
>I agree, but nothing's stopping you from installing the GNU coreutils.
Right, you have to tack shit on.
>It's a Mac, not an iPad, you can actually install arbitrary software on it.
True. But, if for example I wanted to run Windows, I probably wouldn't buy one, even though I can run arbitrary software on it. If I want to make it Linux better to just use a Linux machine.

>>59071884
It's a good desktop OS, and if you need something like Photoshop great. I feel like that's the only real reason to use it (OS X or macOS applications), aside from if you like the hardware.
>>
Lubuntu> Debian > centos
>>
>>59064700
Why is this so accurate?
>>
>>59071974
>It's a good desktop OS, and if you need something like Photoshop great. I feel like that's the only real reason to use it (OS X or macOS applications), aside from if you like the hardware.

Admittedly, yes, but I've found those are pretty big reasons. There's some god tier productivity software for it, like the Omni Group apps, that I haven't found an equivalent to in any OS, and I find iMessage and FaceTime work way better than Skype.

The vendor lock-in with a setup like that is off the charts, though.
>>
Can confirm. I now get actual work done instead of tweaking my i3 config file endlessly.

W7 -> Ubuntu -> Debian -> Arch (cringe) -> Xubuntu (last 4 years)
>>
>>59071933
Or alpine linux.
>>
>>59070414
Arch doesn't break like it used too. Take it from someone that's been using it for 5 or so years now. The worry of fucking my xorg with an update seems to be a thing of the past.

Any other archers remember the glibc upgrade that broke everything in 2012?
>>
>>59064700
I started on mint, went to debian but the raspberry pi version, switched that to ubuntu mate, liked it so much on the pi I switched my mint PC to ubuntu, moved to arch for a weekend, back to ubuntu
>>
>>59070423
>There and back again
>>
>>59070529
How was your experience with ubuntu server?
>>
I'm on stage 1/2 with Xubuntu.

What am I supposed to do now? I love the feel of XFCE for day to day use compared to Windows 10 but I don't feel any reason to go out of my way to learn how to use the terminal beyond installing things
>>
File: 1487701966304.jpg (60KB, 960x892px) Image search: [Google]
1487701966304.jpg
60KB, 960x892px
>>59069073
Tell us about your journey then anon
>>
>>59064700
Ubuntu -> elementary -> fedora -> arch -fedora

Pretty content with fedora now
>>
>>59072282
Seriously upsetting. Randomly disconnected itself from my network all the time to the point where my IRC bouncer was getting banned from some rooms (yeah, ironic, isn't it?).

I tried fixing it but it kept on being an ass so I just switched back to Debian, which worked much better.
>>
Started with Arch, hated it because I fucked everything up multiple times, moved to Gentoo, and haven't had any problems.
>>
Using Antegros right now and pretty happy with it.
>>
openSUSE Tumbleweed
Which is basically the same level as Fedora. A bit more work at the start but then it's just as easy as Ubuntu.

Considering switching to Leap because the mesa driver warnings got me a bit worried about something going wrong.
>>
>the last stage is Window 10
>>
>>59064700
Void Linux
musl libc
Wayland/XWayland
Sway
less than 400 packages
>>
>>59064700
>tfw I went straight to Mint and stayed there, for 10 years now
>>
>>59065904

Elementary OS
>>
File: 1460682729986.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1460682729986.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>59064700
Fedora desu. All done wasting time on meme distros.
>>
>>59067598
Here. First distro was Slackware. I think it was 98.
>>
>>59064700

>Ubuntu
>Mint
>Kubuntu
>Xubuntu
>Xubuntu w/ i3 WM
>Arch i3
Finally
>Ubuntu minimal install w/ i3

I think I'll stay with this one. It's been a few months now and everything works great.
>>
>>59064700
the final step

>used ubuntu for a while, tried debian but it was pretty much "ubuntu but you need to set more shit up on first boot to be comfortable" and less support
>spent a fair bit of time hopping around, used Slackware for a surprising bit of time (was really comfy but it's a retarded design), tried mint but its upgrade policy was so retarded that I never looked at it again, and despite an extremely convenient first install, it's pretty much ubuntu with enough slight differences to be annoying
>did the ricing thing, although I couldn't bring myself to make life quite as inconvenient as some of the setups you'd see in desktop threads where everything looked sleek and minimal and once you actually were doing anything approaching work, the facade broke
>skipped the next step, went back to ubuntu
>but ubuntu still has its share of stupid little issues, so now I'm on fedora and it's of a similar level of "it just werks" and I'm mostly not having issues other than "lol no one packages .rpm anymore because everyone uses ubuntu"

probably done with distro hopping

and now I'm at the point where a good 50% of the software I use in Linux is running in Wine so distro really doesn't matter
like, it's actually kind of dumb how much multi-platform software runs better under Wine than using the native Linux version, it's fucking ridiculous (it's not that much, but there shouldn't be any software like this)

>>59064711
it really doesn't
one easy example is how the default image viewer in macOS doesn't play animated GIFs (and it used to in like 10.4)
in addition, you need to install a fuckton of shit to get comfortable (most of it ends up being paid) -- this has been an issue with Macs since... well, pretty much forever actually, I remember having to deal with installing a bunch of extensions so I could get shit done in System 7 and nothing has changed since then (which should have tipped me off against getting another Mac)
>>
>>59073570
This. Only other thing I could see myself using at this point is KDE Neon. Less so after the repo debacle.
>>
>>59064799
>installing Gentoo more than once in a lifetime
Yep, you're fucking retarded. You've probably only installed it so you can come and humblebrag in here, only guess what, following a handbook isn't hard at all. I just hope you don't flood #gentoo in a week with your retarded questions just so you can feel validated about using a "hard distro"; no one should have to deal with that. Do not associate with us, subhuman scum.

t. actual Gentoo user.
>>
>>59064700
Where does Slackware fall?
>>
>>59074219
On the spectrum.
>>
>>59064700
Ubuntu > xubuntu > crunchbang > fedora > opensue > arch > debian > ubuntu > opensuse
>>
>>59064795
You mean Windows 10
>>
Void on my ThinkPad
Arch on my Desktop

Both work just fine for my purposes (jerking off to anime girls, jerking off to esoteric programming languages, jerking off to anime boys)
>>
>>59073570
>bash
>>
Whatever stage wanting to make your own distribution is at.
>>
>>59064895

lmao, the worst of all fucking worlds
>>
>>59067240
This is me desu

All I really cared about when I switched was stability, so I just googled 'what linux distro is the most stable' and haven't switched since.
>>
>>59064700
I have been on all of them and back again.

Now I'm back on Windows because it's the only thing that works on desktop.
>>
>>59076931
End yourself.
>>
>>59069319
Im running it on my phone.
>>
Funny this is ridiculously accurate. I'm at the last stage.
>>
>>59071959
And this is why you use mac: command-shift-4 and drag gets the job done.

Or command-control-shift-4 automatically saves it to clipboard so you can paste to imgur.
>>
>>59067741
>windows friends
Y-you realize that windows has powershell right. And powershell's object model blows the unix "everything is a string" away
>>
>>59064737
Same.
Just resist the urge to hit that pacaur -syu all the time cause you just fapped and pretty bored.

Plus timeshift saves And loades your life
>>
>>59071974
>you have to tack shit on

>Implying you don't have to spend days customizing and "tweaking" linux to run properly on your hardware
>>
I'm on the last stage happily using xubuntu.

Now some of you linux users are gonna say "well no not every experienced user sticks with ubuntu and fedora." No you autist the point of the meme is that once you figure out how to customize your desktop environment it clicks in your head that any gnu system works pretty much the same and can do what you want and so you don't care. And sometimes many of you, though not all of you, and I, just keep ubuntu or fedora around cause sometimes you don't want to bother with some of the harder stuff.

You could get plopped down in busybox and start getting to work.
>>
Arch stage.
Forever
Desktop thread
Anime website
>>
It depends on what you need.

You just want a desktop OS that's not linux, doesn't mean you have to learn how to use an obscure distro. Use Xubuntu, Debian or Fedora. It's not a matter of experience, it might just be convenience. If you have to get a system running quickly and be able to work, sometimes using installation scripts or anything similar isn't a bad idea.

By the way package manager choice does matter. When you want to remove something and it marks certain dependencies you might not know if you should keep around or not as "autoremovable" it's a nightmare.
>>
File: yunobed.png (934KB, 1090x1204px) Image search: [Google]
yunobed.png
934KB, 1090x1204px
I started with eOS Luna and then hopped one Ubuntu distro to another for some time and then came back to eOS Luna eventually and stuck with it as it just suited my needs and was reasonably speedy. Then came eOS Loki which removed a few things that I really liked and made some things not even work anymore and I'm too inexperienced at anything to fix it. I could deal with some apps not working though, by just reevaluating needs and priorities. What I couldn't stand was that Loki became a slow shit for my laptop. So now I'm using Antergos Base with only a window manager(i3) and I love it. So light and only has the things I need that I've installed on my own.

*note, that throughout all of this, I've stubbornly held onto my dualbooted Windows 7 partition which I simply don't want to get rid of due to its reliability and for me to easily play gaymes
>>
>>59064700
My path was OpenSUSE -> Arch -> Ubuntu -> Gentoo. I'm staying where I am, USE flags are comfy.
>>
>>59065972
Ubuntu part 4 - A new OS
>>
File: 1346156139121.png (76KB, 231x260px) Image search: [Google]
1346156139121.png
76KB, 231x260px
>>59064700
I'm on the "Why isn't there a distro that looks as nice as Elementary OS out of the box but is actually customisable like KDE?" phase.
>>
>>59077138
better add that --devel
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-02-23_12-22-21.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-02-23_12-22-21.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>59064700
Final step. Started on Ubuntu, went for mint and lubuntu and back to Ubuntu again. It just werks.

Currently installed on my College laptop. No plans on changing os on my main pc. Saving up for a macbook though.
>>
>>59064834
>RPM package manager
>most packages are debian or tarball
Have fun
>>
>>59064700
My journey was a bit odd.
>Live USBs to bypass school restrictions on internet
>Eventually settle on TAILS, c. 2011
>use Porteus for a while on desktop to attempt to penetrate the Linux Sphere, fail miserably because something based off Slackware is a terrible place to start
>Time passes, wincuck for a long time
>Get a Thinkpad
>Install Ubuntu
>Install Cinnamon DE
>Install Win10 skin
>Comfy ever since
>>
>>59064700
last stage i guess, i use debian because it just works and my desktop is pretty ugly if you ask ricers, its MATE and hasnt been customized much but it works and is comfy for me and does the job
>>
>>59078764
>Saving up for a macbook though
Bait?
>>
>>59064700

Im at the last stage. But it's debian.
>>
ubuntu part one
then I switched to macos and never looked back
>>
Lubuntu -> Xubuntu -> Lubuntu.
>>
>old solaris box from uncle
>opensusay
>ubuntu 9?
>debian
>ubuntu 16

hmm
>>
>>59079253
Nope. I like the design and the mousepad gestures. The os isn't that bad as people make it up to be.
>>
>>59064700
I'm on the last stage on my Fedora.

>tfw skipped Debian
>>
>>59064700

final stage. fuck gentoo/arch, debian 4 lyfe
>>
Meta-stage: Windows 10. Fuck off freeturds!
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnerds.
>>
>>59064972
IRC nostalgia
>>
>every little aspect down to the font in your terminal
I'm stuck at stage 1 for life but even I know how to do that. Every setting is in a plaintext file somewhere. Just find it and edit. Come on now.
>>
>>59064711
Lmao I'm on Fedora literally because Mac Os stopped working. Custom rmbp Hardware configuration from 2014 no longer supported, gg Steve jobs
>>
>>59064700
Pretty close. Went Ubuntu -> Mint -> Arch -> Xubuntu.

Thinking of switching from XFCE to KDE when I upgrade my old pc to Ryzen though.
>>
Debian -> openSUSE
distrohoppers are cancer
>>
Ubuntu -> CentOS -> Ubuntu, I only run linux on my server, they were both fine but I founnd that it's easier to find support and guides for ubuntu.
>>
>>59064700

I'm at the stage that is just cropped off the bottom, where Ubuntu and Fedora don't fit your needs and you run Gentoo because it is the only distribution that allows you to mix whatever combination of unstable and stable packages you want.
>>
>>4-5

After debian failed to install thrice i think im going to go back to ubuntu (probs xubutu or kubuntu
>>
>>59081169
)
>>
>>59080662
Doesn't mean you'll bother to do it, though.
>>
>>59064700
The last one. Been using Xubuntu 14.04 LTS for nearly 3 years, almost completely stock, haven't fiddled with anything in years, just werks, no issues. Life is good.
>>
>>59064700
I've been on stage 3 for 5 years
>>
>>59064700
If you want to get 'work' done you use scientific linux because that's the whole point of scientific linux.
>>
>>59064700
Realized that it makes no sense for me to be using Linux right now because Windows 7 is more comfortable and serves all my needs.
>>
>>59074196
I have more than once computer anon.
>>
>>59064700
>first stage - Linux Mint
I think I'm ready for the second stage. Arch or Debian and please no meme answers like "try them both." That's not part of the authentic experience.
>>
Main desktop:

SuSE - 2 years
Mandrake - 1 year
Gentoo - 3 years
Arch - 1 year
CentOS briefly to study for a Linux certificate
Debian - 7 years until now

=>

Debian unstable for desktops
Debian stable for servers
Ubuntu LTS for office desktops
Gentoo for learning or legitimate customization like dragging along a large number of patches

The good thing about Debian is that it offers both a well-maintained stable release and a usable rolling release.
>>
>>59064700
I dual boot Windows 7 and Debian
>>
>>59082143
Arch.

Debian's packages are all stuck in the stone age. Try to do fucking anything and you'll find that it isn't supported by that version.

Arch, on the other hand, is by far the easiest distro to work with. The Arch wiki has an incredible amount of documentation and tutorials to help set things up the way Linus intended using only terminal tools, so you aren't forced into having Gnome or KDE on your system. And when you try to install an unsupported package, it might actually fucking work because Arch is set up the way every sane developer expects linux to be set up.
>>
File: debian-flow.png (2MB, 4083x2250px) Image search: [Google]
debian-flow.png
2MB, 4083x2250px
>>59082191
>what is Debian unstable
>>
>>59064700
I switched back to Debian, but bolted on Guix and now don't even use the Debian package manager. All it does is automatic daily updates in the background for security with a cron job, and Guix I use for every other program.
>>
>>59082211
STILL really fucking outdated. Does it even have Wine 2.0 yet?
>>
First distro was Suse around 1999.
Now using Debian and openSuse in parallel.

What stage is that? Grandpa stage?
>>
>>59082191
You can live dangerously by running a rolling release Debian version easily by adding unstable to your apt/sources.list or you can install Guix, and install multiple versions of any one program to live side by side with no interference from each other. https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/ you can use Guix on Arch too. /shilling
>>
>>59064700
>What stage are you on?
I am on Stage 2, been there for four months now.
I am not looking forward to those other stages. Hell, I'll try to not go there as long as I can.
>>
>>59082264
Forgot, I am on Arch.
>>
>>59082225
>STILL really fucking outdated.
>Source: my ass
[citation needed]
>Does it even have Wine 2.0 yet?
Of course.
>>
>>59082371
Does it though?
I thought so too, but:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/wine

Experimental has it?
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.