[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will USB Type C replace everything?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: USB-Type-C.png (7KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
USB-Type-C.png
7KB, 220x165px
I'm starting to see a lot of new stuff with USB Type C as the main connection port.
Do you guys think that USB C or something like it will eventually replace all of our old ports and devices? As in like USB drives, phone chargers, mouse & keyboard wires, etc?
Or am I a fuck boy who day dreams too much?
>>
I hope so until something better comes but everyone is slow as hell actually releasing stuff with proper support for it and sometimes even charging way too much
>>
>>59058429
I think everything is going wireless. Wireless power with data.
>>
>>59058429
probably not completely, there will always be a need for legacy devices and their plugs
>>
old times: 1 cable, 1 port, 1 function
now: EVERYTHING IS USB-C... but whoops, that cable is only for charging, nope, that cable isn't compatible, it won't output video! that one will, but at low res! oh shit, that chink cable fried your motherboard!

there was a reason for different ports
>>
File: 1487708630712.png (124KB, 750x780px) Image search: [Google]
1487708630712.png
124KB, 750x780px
>tfw two shit macbooks may push the next gen standard into the mainstream faster than usual

Thanks applel

This port's actually incredibly comfy
>>
I can charge my laptop off my other laptop while that laptop charges my phone because of USB C. This changes everything.
>>
>buy cheap cord
>house goes up in flames
yeah sounds gud lmao
>>
>>59058682
>>buy cheap cord
>>59058609
>oh shit, that chink cable fried your motherboard!

stop buying shit cords ffs

as soon as there's some sort of standards body for type C that make sure the cords aren't shitty then it will take off
>>
>>59058712
>only buy monster cables if you don't want to fry your shit
>>
>>59058712
>standard makes it so you have to buy a $50 hyper platinum oxygenated gold tipped usb cord
no thanks
>>
I hope so. USB C is God tier
>>
>>59058748
there are other reputable brands for cables that don't charge a million for a cable you know
>>
>>59058609
This. Why the fuck aren't they all the same? I'm talking about the ports.
>>
>>59058620
thats what they always do. they adopted USB first, got rid of cd drives, implemented flash storage, etc etc. they're true pioneers that take the heat because thats what good leaders do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65_PmYipnpk
>>
>>59058782
but that by definition makes them cheap and you just told us not to buy cheap. until usb-c cables get standardized at a general cost point simmilar to current cable prices it'll not take off, also like that other anon said, legacy support means it'll be at least a decade before usb3 is phased out
>>
File: 1478584319001.png (192KB, 711x633px) Image search: [Google]
1478584319001.png
192KB, 711x633px
>>59058815
Thinking back, doesn't it seem weird that disc drives were almost universal on laptops? You rarely needed the CD/DVD drive when you were out and about, and the disc drive takes up a ton of space that could have been used for a bigger battery, which is immensely more useful for when you're out and about. USB drives were perfectly suitable for when you were at home and would need the drive for installing software or whatever.

I'm not saying all laptops should have ditched the drive in the past, I'm just surprised that there wasn't even a large minority that ditched it for a bigger battery.
>>
>>59058429
This is good only if all the cables in the market were good.

USB-C is amazing and very versatile but it won't work or even cause damage if people start buying $3 chink cables.
>>
>>59058429
I can't see any reason to move/evolve beyond USB C. It's reversible and provides plenty of pins, and it's small enough for just about any device.
>>
>>59058872
Thats why many professional laptops had an optional battery connector inside the optical drive slot, and their batteries could work in either slot.
>>
Sure
Just like micro USB replaced mini
>>
File: .jpg (43KB, 601x400px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
43KB, 601x400px
why is the lightning connector such a good design? USB-C has a shitty shim in the female part that feels prone to breakage. Lightning has no weakness other than Apple shit quality cables and MFI proprietary shit.
>inb4 exposed pins
non issue. not a single problem stemming from that so far.
>>
File: .png (179KB, 667x459px) Image search: [Google]
.png
179KB, 667x459px
like how the hell is the female part a good design? put the fragile part in the main device and not the cable means expensive repairs.
>>
File: B1052715231.jpg (16KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
B1052715231.jpg
16KB, 360x360px
>>59059011
USB A had the same problem and we got along fine for all these years.

USB C is rated for even more insert cycles
>>
>>59059052
Just like your mom then, cool.
>>
NO
STOP USING TYPE C

THUNDERBOLT FOR EVERYTHING
>>
>>59058609
its actually much worse because of things apple and others are doing with drm
>>
Fucking usb 2 and 3 can't die fast enough. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to create a connector that can be put into superposition.
>>
>>59058985
> leaf spring on the device side
Planned obsolescence bullshit.
>>
>>59059112

Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C as the connector.
You'd be an idiot to buy a computer in the year of our Lord 2017 without Thunderbolt 3.
>>
>>59058620
>>59058872
honestly Apple is the best mobile/laptop manufacturer by miles. I just wish I could use their OS without hacks on a custom desktop.
>>
>>59058872
usb storage was expensive and had small capacity then

the point it became viable, apple ditched the optical drive
>>
>>59058543
good luck powering large devices without killing the pet hamster.
>>
>>59058429
I hope USB C is around for awhile. I still have mini USB shit and it's pain getting cables for it in the micro USB world. It would be nice to just have 1 type of cable.
>>
>>59058429
what happens if I connect a USB-C charging cable from one Macbook charging port to another Macbook's charging port?

if I plug a macbook into itself will it die or charge itself forever
>>
USB-C is a great idea except for the fact that it's bigger than micro-B.

I fully expect some ass-shit company to bravely pioneer USB-miniC in the next few years. I don't think USB-C is going to be last beyond 2020. But I'd love to be wrong.
>>
>>59059011
Because the connector can push just enough voltage (up to 20V) to give some idiot a slight tingle if he sticks his finger in it. He'll cry about "yo wu if I had a pacemaker i coulda died imma sue", the jury will agree as soon as they say "think of your kids playing on the computer and grabbing this dangerous baby-killing cable!" and then somebody has to pay that guy $100m for pain and suffering.
>>
>>59058985
Lightning cables are such shit. I work at a big office and we probably have 20 micro USB cables and 20 lightning cables that people use just to charge their phones. Nearly all the lightning cables are frayed near the ends and they have to jiggle the cable around to get it to work. I've never seen this be a huge problem with cheap micro USB cables yet it seems chronic for lightning cables despite them costing more.
>>
USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen1 and 3.1 Gen2 are a complete clusterfuck.
>>
>>59059706

The only thing that matters is if it's a Thunderbolt 3 port or not. Everything before that was a mistake
>>
>>59059011
the fragile part isn't the tab in the socket, it's the sprung pins on the cables.

having a hollow cable end leaves more internal cavity space for the pins flexing.

Apple's Lightning connector is the exact wrong thing to do, where the sprung pins are in the socket of the expensive device rather than in the (theoretically) cheap cables.
>>
>>59058620
>Apple adopts USB-C for macbook because its da future and because they can sell new type C accessories
>Apple doesn't adopt USB-C for iPhone because then they lose out on Lightning licensing shekels
Really makes one engage in mental activity.
>>
>>59058609
wow its almost like there is different revisions of USB A
>>
>>59059634
small connectors are a fucking pain in the ass
i cant even count the number of times ive bent my micro usb connector
>>
>>59058429
Of course. Why the hell wouldn't it?

In fact, it might take over HDMI, display port and ethernet eventually.
>>
>>59059348
Large devices will be wirelessly powered BY your pet hamster.
>>
>>59059823
I don't know what kind of neanderthal you are. I've used them since they came out. Never once bent or broken a mini or micro-usb connector or plug.
>>
Nothing will ever replace everything, but USB C will replace current USB and will continue expanding its range.
>>
>thunderbolt
literally who
i haven't seen thunderbolt devices ever aside of macbooks.
>>
>>59059769
Apple can do what they want senpai
How many adapters do they sell now? 17?
>>
>>59058985
>why is the lightning connector such a good design?

Despite not being a fan of Apple, I was always jealous of the Lightning port. It has a much more robust design on the device side, and then has a weaker connector on the the cable.

And before people say that's a shitty design, it allows for a more graceful failure if the cable is put under high stress from a fall or trip. What would you rather break: a several hundred dollar phone, or a ten dollar cable?
>>
>>59060387
are you trying to excuse the lack of a strain relief sleeve on the lightning connector as some sort of device protection feature?
>>
>>59060387
but literally all the breakable parts are inside the device, not the cable
>>
>>59058429
1. chink cables usually meet minimum quality requirements. If they are known to be inferior they don't sell and quality will improve. Chinese actually use chink cables unironically so they do have to work.

2. I am incredibly grateful for PCI(e) and USB, these things have helped computing more the last 5 CPU or monitor generations imho.
>>
>>59060486
but netflix at 4k bro
>>
>>59058609
its to stop people from outputting video
>>
>>59060325
Plenty of Windows laptops have thunderbolt.

External GPUs use thunderbolt 3 and some external hard drives/SSDs use thunderbolt as well. I suppose there are other thunderbolt devices, but those are the most common.
>>
>>59059305
They've got points in my book for sacrificing two devices in the name of courage, basically martyrs for the cause.
>>
>>59060440
>device protection feature

I wouldn't call it a feature per se, but planning for failure is a good idea. It's part of why NEMA plugs are superior to all those massively overbuilt, indestructible European plugs. Would you rather have to bend a couple pins back into place, or risk damage to your electrical outlet or even the wall?

>>59060442
>literally all the breakable parts are inside the device

What? It's a metal sleeve bolted directly to the frame of the device. I hope you aren't one of those people from above arguing that the spring clips are the primary point of failure when they won't wear out until long after the battery has exploded.
>>
>>59058833
There's a fucking median between cheap and overpriced
>>
File: sev1011.jpg (21KB, 501x387px) Image search: [Google]
sev1011.jpg
21KB, 501x387px
>>59060910
>It's part of why NEMA plugs are superior to all those massively overbuilt, indestructible European plugs. Would you rather have to bend a couple pins back into place, or risk damage to your electrical outlet or even the wall?
NEMA plugs are shit.

That you have to make up problems like walls (or even outlets) getting destroyed is quite silly.

Your plugs are worse than even most of the European designs, which are often also plenty shit.

Most make me wonder if they really just optimized them so that one station on a plug manufacturing line has an easy job, rather than any end user.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.