[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumpster diving for tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1005.jpg (481KB, 1000x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1005.jpg
481KB, 1000x898px
Do any fellow /g/entoomen partake in a bit of dumpster diving? Just last night I scored this i3 4130, 4GB and 1TB HDD along with a pair of Wacom tablets. Sadly the motherboard is dead from corrosive liquid damage but it may be possibly to repair if I can replace the damaged SMD resistors. Hopefully the CPU is still good.

So dumpster diving thread. Post your finds.
>>
What do you people mean by dumpster diving? I kind ofbwant to do it but you don't mean actually going through trash cans, right? I can't imagine anyone who still is remotely human looking through trash. Is it an American thing? Trash here is basically deadly.
>>
>>59055454
well calling it "recycling bin diving" wouldn't sound as good. But yeah, you look in places where things get discarded for disposal and see if there's anything salvageable there.

The thing that pisses me off is that thrift stores and charity operations apparently refuse to deal in computers. Monitors and keyboards, sure, but the actual computers are whisked away and never sold.
>>
>>59055642
data protection laws. even if they wanted to they are not allowed to. and the possibility of a lawsuit outweights the possible turnover they have on ancient, old computers. dumpster diving is also illegal in most US states and europe. just a heads up.
>>
>>59055669
Good thing there are no data protection or anti dumpster diving laws in my country

But we're also third world poor so the best I found was a C2D E6300 with busted caps a year ago
>>
>>59055669
>dumpster diving is also illegal in most US states and europe
What's the purpose behind these laws? Can't be the same data-protection deal if it covers all discarded property.
>>
>>59055454
It's a general term. It's means looking through any publicly accessible refuse unit. If you're scared of seeing some food waste then it's not for you. I wear water proof gloves and have worked jobs handling far worse waste material than some half eaten meal so it's of no issue.
>>
I've salvaged "broken" computers from corporate trash.
>dead graphics card
>dead HDD
>low RAM==slow & obsolete
Strapped 3-4 of these together & got myself a whole new desktop for free. Currently running i5-2300, 8GB DDR3, Quadro NVS 295, dual-head: 21” 16:9 + 18" 4:3.
>>
>>59055752
some cities ban dumpsterdiving because of various reasons, like keeping poor people from making it a day job, or generally keeping shit in order i don't know, but they do. data protection laws are usually state wise. most of europe has it and applies to most electronics.
>>
>>59054908
nigga I dumpster dive for all kinda shit. I have some decent stuff from it. When XP went out of support, everyones old desktops were sittin by the road. Once vista gets out of support there should be some more cool shit.
Look for the large item pickups op, thats when you get the cool shit.
>>
>>59054908
Just take the parts outta there. That mobo and PSU aren't worth jack shit. Looks like one of those shit 240w turds. Maybe you can sell it on fleabay and use the funds to buy a new mobo.
>>
>>59055819
The Quadro NVS 295 is worse than your igpu (hd3000).
>>
>>59055839
Seems like that'd be a good thing. Poor people get a way to make money, and in doing so they reuse/recycle electronic waste. Sounds like a win-win.

>>59055819
I got my T500 that way. It was in a pile of old laptops my friend's employer was getting rid of. Must have been a software problem, since the hard drive had been pulled (and presumably shredded or whatever) but once I plugged one in and installed an OS it worked just fine.

>>59055843
some years ago someone sat a Mac LC II at the end of their driveway for pickup. So I picked it up and took it home and played Simcity 2000 on it all afternoon.
>>
>>59055903
Hell man my family only had a shitty MacBookPro until I picked up a 03 core duo machine that i used until last spring. Shit was fine for a shitposting with lubtunu
>>
>>59055903
i wouldn't want other people to take my discarded electronics no matter how many times the harddrive was nuked, and no matter where in society the grabber came from.
>>
>>59056053
Then pay for professional disposal of the equipment. All waste needs processing to separate material and many if not all junkyards will salvage valuable parts to sell on.
>>
>>59056219
here we have tax backed recycling centers. just dropped off some old servers and such last week. it works great.
>>
I've picked up two iMac G5s and two Mac Pros spotted by my wife around her university building. Rich Asian students moving out of apartments and dorms leave a lot of shit like TVs too. There's also an abandoned Camry I kind of want to claim and resell but that one's probably not worth it.
>>
I always wanted to check out Gamestop's dumpsters since they toss old games and consoles, but I just can't do it.
>>
>>59056409
i used to do this until they saw us one day and actually started destroying the shit before they put it in there. I would trade the games at the local vintage record/game store and get store cred for records
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.