[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /g/ stay cool

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: pic-related.jpg (109KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
pic-related.jpg
109KB, 1000x1500px
It's getting warm so let's talk AC my /g/urus

I have a single (large) window in the room I live in, and this year instead of putting the 10 year old window unit back in I want to get a unit that is "portable" so I can have the window open at night and in the morning.

Pic related is what I'm looking at, but all it's reviews and reviews of similar units all bitch about them dying quick or shutting off every hour because you have to drain water from it (plus, there is still a hose that needs to go out the window.)
>>
I keep my freezer open all summer long
>>
File: sad_cat.jpg (135KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sad_cat.jpg
135KB, 1024x768px
:-(
>>
get a window mounted one and open a different window
These things hang out the windows because they output an insane amount of heat, putting the heat in your house and then radiating it through a radiator and out some thin cloth pipes isn't the most effective solution
>>
>>59051266
My problem is where I live is shitty and I only have on Window (and one room + bathroom)

I don't have another window to open
>>
>>59051223
>it's getting warm
In australia, africa and latin america maybe.
Do you live there?
>>
i live underground, cool in the summer time, stays warm in the winter. only downside is the lack of windows.
>>
>>59052882
anything above 25c is unbearable.
>>
>>59051223
its -16 and 15cm snow outside desu
>>
>>59051223

Window units are small "split" air-conditioners, the airflows for the condenser and the room are split.

Those mobile units generally cause under-pressure in your room, pulling in hot air from outside the room. Unless you mod them.
>>
>>59054019
Anything over 20c is unbearable, the fuck you on?
>>
>>59054137
more like anything under 27C is unbearable. its around 20C here and I have heat on
>>
>>59051223

> there is still a hose that needs to go out the window.

The heat has to go somewhere, apart from out of the window there is only one alternative really. Down the drain.

Mains water cooled air conditioners actually exist, dunno what they cost though.
>>
I go elsewhere. Plenty of places are chilled comfortably. God bless laptops.
>>
Commiefornia here, its 34 degrees here. Where the fuck do you live that its hot?
>>
How do I design my home so it has a badass programmable HVAC system?

Programmable means I can integrate it with whatever home automation solution I choose or come up with by myself.
>>
>>59054327
Even if it doesn't get terribly hot, warm + humid = death. That's really where AC shines.

>>59054652
You don't need to do anything fancy. Modern HVAC systems terminate at electronic thermostats via a few bog standard copper wires. All the thermostat does is apply the necessary voltage to the appropriate terminal/wire when it needs to turn on the fan and furnace/AC unit. You can program your device to apply that same output at a pin. Then trigger that however you wish. This is really a cakewalk.
>>
>>59054721
Cool so it's really simple electronics. One of my split ACs is fucking up and I might have to replace it; guess I'll experiment with the old hardware.

I fucking hate how the AC suddenly stops the fan and cooling when the temperature becomes nice. It's like it's idling, waiting for the temps to go up again before working. I dug up a manual and read there was a "test" switch that forced it to work continuously.

Anyway I'd really like it if these things were part of the building structure. Huge buildings can do it why not my house
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.