[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's with HN?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

File: favicon.png (3KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
favicon.png
3KB, 256x256px
It seems the quality of discussions have really gone down lately.

Examples:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13659159 Top comment was a Pajeet complaining "The C++ Programming Language" is a hard read. It's a fucking reference book.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13474738 Retarded discussion because HN readers don't have the faintest idea what parallelism is.

It's like what that Dan Luu guy said, "HN comments are terrible. On any topic I’m informed about, the vast majority of comments are pretty clearly wrong."
>>
Why the fuck would you complain about HN here of all places?
>>
Meh.
>>
Every forum goes through this decline. Believe it or not, at one point Slashdot actually had good comments.

I'm still looking for a decent replacement. lobste.rs looked promising, but seems to be dying off now. It might be time to just give up on comments and go back to RSS.
>>
If you want quality and expertise, the only option is stackexchange sites.
Reddit has been really bad for some time because of the ads.
>>
>>59045951
1. Shitty topics have shitty comments. Having said that 99% of HN articles are trash.
2. Their comment ranking is not optimal. Highly upvoted replies can push shitty comments up.
>>
>>59045951
The C++ Programming Language is garbage that tried to be what K&R is but failed completely. I couldn't bear it either.
>>
>>59047270
Damnit Pajeet, just shut up.
>>
>>59045951
It's a shit site run by jews and SJWs.
>>
>>59045951
>It seems the quality of discussions have really gone down lately.

It really hasn't. It's the same as it has always been.

It's the same as with people saying /g/ is worse nowadays... but they always say that, and it's always the same. I was gone from /g/ for 2 years, and when I got back, it was the exact same threads.
>>
>>59045951
>https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13659159
To be honest I was more appaled by the highly upvoted suggestion that one can learn C++ by reading Stack Overflow.
>>
>>59050010
Also written by Pajeet.
>>
>>59049706
Not wrong, discussing controversial stuff like COC is not allowed.
>>
File: ishygddt.jpg (43KB, 576x521px) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
43KB, 576x521px
>remember when /g/ was good
>>
/g/ has fallen to pieces
HN finally starting to crumble
/r/programming is a joke
lobste.rs is just HN junior but without the corrective rudder of business sense
Dr. Dobb's is dead

Is there anywhere left for programming nerds?
>>
Obligatory:
http://n-gate.com/hackernews/
>>
>>59050113
stackoverflow, duh.
>>
>>59045951
>lately
That's where you are mistaken lad.
Internet forums have never been good.
>>
>>59050139
/thread
>>
>>59045951
remember the push from faceberg to get more indians connected to the internet? yeah....
>>
>>59050134
fuck that's funny
>>
>>59050200
Remember how quora was and is still ruined by Pajeets?
Pajeets, not even once.
>>
>>59045965
fpbp
>>
>>59045951
>HN
Full of morons and shills. And pro-government types.

Don't believe any of it -- they brigade support for highly unreasonable positions to make lurkers think the world is made of liberal cheese.
>>
>>59050136

Thread closed, duplicate of this 4 year old, unanswered thread.

* post edited by Mr. Pajeet.
>>
All /r/enter_your_programming_interest and HN are bad and full of negative energy. Steer clear. This place included.
>>
>>59050882
Very specific subreddit is the way to go. /r/cpp for example is filled with experts and bigger names in C++.
Discussing C++ at HN is just inviting Rust cultists.

Interestingly, Go is finding much more success in mainstream adoption than Rust, considering Rust' rabid fanbase.
>>
>>59050113
Slashdot
>>
Any idea how to get a lobste.rs invite?
>>
>>59045951
To be fair, Bjorn's book is utter shit. It's more like a Phone book rather than a good book to learn.
>>
>>59045951
If you look up comments from years ago they were much better, problem with HN is it's too popular now. Good example is the who's hiring thread it used to be around 200 entries or so of just bay area startups, now it's 800+ recruiters and other bullshit.
>>
>>59050136
specifically the grad level stackoverflow's are the best, like theoretical compsci or math.
>>
>>59051173
if we tell you then lobste.rs just gets filled with shitty comments like HN
>>
>>59051225
I sometimes wonder, is it just because mathematicians got so much free time. /r/math, math stackexchange, math overfloww, are all filled with experts and have quality discussions.
>>
>>59051210
That's not a HN thing. It's an internet in whole thing. It used to be only universities, then it used to be only computer nerds, then it used to be normies.
Now it's the fucking small kids too.
It's why youtube is 90% gaymers baiting kids to their gayming videos.
>>
>>59051192
It's a fucking reference book, Pajeet.
>>
>>59045951
Recently too much politics and workplace politics.
The asshurt about Peter thiel is hilarious.
>>
>>59051289
Are you literally stupid /pol/tard? The meme is that it's a good book. It's utterly useless in the age of the internet.
In case you missed the class in school, almost nobody had internet when he wrote C++.
>>
>>59051270
they're usually grad students, and grad students get paid to do research so often they are sitting on SO reading replies as part as research.

My CMU slides for 'advanced algorithms' recommended going on SO in specific bases to talk to other grad students when needing experts in math analysis or category theory ect.
>>
>>59051315
Bait.
But just in case, the teaching book by Bjarne is "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++". "The C++ Programming Language" is a fucking reference book.
>>
>>59051316
>implying CS people knows math
Just because the pioneers of CS were mathematician and know real math doesn't mean modern CS is math.
>>
>>59051353
Fine, I was referring to the spergstation that claimed the reference book is good. It's not entirely his fault of course, *IT IS* a meme that is a good learning book too and I had done the mistake to borrow it (luckily not buy it) once.
I guess it was an old meme from the age of no internet at all.
Now references are simply useless. Just google it.
>>
>>59051413
>*IT IS* a meme that is a good learning book
No it's not.
>>
>>59051375
That's why they go on SO and ask information from category theorists ect. Your post is perfect for HN or Reddit where somebody purposely misreads the OP, just to cram in some off-topic talking points they wish to message forum lawyer with, while larping as an expert.

Good thing about SO/exchange is there are actual verified experts there instead of larpers on HN or here/plebbits
>>
>>59051487
>That's why they go on SO and ask information from category theorists ect.
Because they don't know the math? And like to forced the math into their writing to somehow legitimize it.
>>
>>59051516
Weak second attempt to derail the thread with your talking points, the first was a decent try. HN would totally take this bait though try there.
>>
>>59051063
>Interestingly, Go is finding much more success in mainstream adoption than Rust, considering Rust' rabid fanbase.
>Actual system programming is in much lower demand than meme web programmering.

Who would have guessed.
>>
HN is about 75% corporate shills.

It is not hacker discussion, because true hackers are typically anti-corporate and support openness.

HN is corporate shills and includes many Microsoft employees.

Ever notice how often people push VS Code? They act like you're not even allowed to mention Vim in VS Code threads, but "I recently switched to VS Code" is the top comment in every thread about any other editor.
>>
>>59046112
I've always used stack exchange when looking for a quick fix when programming or some *nix problem.
I've just recently created an account and started posting questions I can't find an answer to and helping answer questions new friends have about programming.
The stack exchange websites are actually very well done and moderated at as far as I can tell.
>>
>>59050113
>lobste.rs
didnt knew about this one, thanks
>>
>>59051838
I can be wrong, but isn't Rust marketed as a system programming language?
>>
>>59051921
yes, but you need to put everything in unsafe blocks to do anything systems related, so you might as well use C.
>>
>>59051889
>HN is about 75% corporate shills.

I don't even think you can call them shills, because everyone knows HN is a gathering place for the industry people, and most of them don't hide it.

Hell, it's partly what makes it interesting.
>>
>>59051921
Yes. I was hitting as golang as the meme web server "system" programming language that it is.
>>
>>59051889
VS code is really good tho.
>>
>>59051991
this, but >>59050134 has a point
>>
>>59051991
If you're a cuck.

According to stackoverflow only about 7% of devs use it, yet on HN they act like it's used as much as Sublime and Vim.
>>
>>59051991
I can see it being appealing on windows where you have a worthless fucking shell and everything needs to be a gui in order to be productive, but not on linux, it tries to replace at least 10 cli programs into one monolithic mess.
>>
>>59045951
That book is really shitty. First i rented it from library as it can help me at brogramming classes. At home i saw nothing but brainfuck and bullshit.
>>
>>59050049
Clash of clans??
>>
>>59052867
Code of Conduct. contributor-covenant.org
>>
>>59052778
Did the school kick you out?
>>
>>59052867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4A70RWAqus
:^)
>>
>>59052976
Thanks man
>>
File: IMG_5303.jpg (79KB, 820x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5303.jpg
79KB, 820x1024px
What's a good android app for hackernews? I tried finding one a few months ago but couldn't.

What do you boys use?
>>
>>59053080
Stock browser.
>>
>>59053080
Yarn
>>
>>59053027
Nice
>>
>>59053080
The browser.
>>
>>59053080
Uc browser
>>
File: 1477481221623.jpg (128KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1477481221623.jpg
128KB, 1024x1024px
>>59053092
>>59053156
>>59053201
Gross. Thanks for the responses but some websites aren't great to begin with let alone on a mobile.

>>59053099
This is better than anything I came across in the past. Thanks anon.
>>
hn is just old ass it retards who think standing up a server means you're a hacker.
Most of them have no real programming experience
>>
File: peruma.jpg (133KB, 1024x1025px) Image search: [Google]
peruma.jpg
133KB, 1024x1025px
>>59045951
there are moslty good, the amount of vc, meme startup guys or senior devs is awesome, much better then hugbox or this place .
But sadly there are a lot of sjw, leftist and meme American culture.
>>
>>59052976

wow i didn't know that feminist can butthurt so much over meritocracy it is absolute maddens, becouse over the screen being women gay trans doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>59053201
kek
>>
>>59049824
Kek, same. Left for 3 years and come back to the same exact board. Only difference is there's 500% more templeos threads and the board is 3 times slower
>>
File: >.png (44KB, 976x139px) Image search: [Google]
>.png
44KB, 976x139px
>>59045951
>lately
Who could've predicted that a community of Silicon Valley techbros would turn out awful?
>>
>>59045951
lol it's basically a kind of reddit for tech guys.

From time to time you get fucking cnn and bbc articles for fuck sakes.

Not to mention the upcoming climate apocalypse
>>
You know that "My Strange Year At Uber" article?
I've been thinking about it recently, and I've come to the conclusion that the object less for bad companies* is to not put women in the trenches. The massive amount of men in SV Tech means a lot of white knights who will fight the power to save a woman. However, NOBODY in SV would give a fuck if it was 50 low-status males starving to death and being raped by Hitler cosplayers every week. This is my thought god bless america.

*all great companies are bad companies
>>
>tfw Hiro fucked the 4chan server and you can't start a new thread
>>
>>59054271
fyi COC was written by a white tranny who became successful as a man before transitioning
>>
>>59057790
imagine what sort of shit you could stir up by writing similar articles pretending to be a woman who left certain major tech companies a few months back with vague references to sexism.

this sort of stuff is all just taken as gospel at face value because "muh women in muh stem"
>>
>>59045951
>The best place to master c++ is StackOverflow
>>
>>59059781
It really is. Even the cases where it's been disproven or shown to be of questionable veracity at least, it's too late. Just look at how Github transformed after its little sexism debacle.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.