[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the ancestor of the IBM thinkpad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

File: IBM's_inspiration.jpg (189KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IBM's_inspiration.jpg
189KB, 1280x1024px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zISGmwhLTXE
>>
>>59038867
>1997
>thinkpads were from 1992
alright
>>
>>59038867

Wrong way around senpai, Jobs started work on those after he used his comfy ThinkPad while working at NeXT.
>>
>>59038867
I wish macs weren't facebook machines now thanks to that faggot.
>>
>>59038867
the thinkpad design was drafted a year before the Powerbook hit the market
>>
>>59038888
kek confirmed
>>
>>59038888
Apple laptops used to have docks.
Can you imagine that, a dock you can put the laptop in at work and then take it out when you leave.
And now you can't do shit with them without 10 different dongles and adaptors and USB hubs.
>>
>>59038882
this.
the only reason why Applel started making laptops is because Thinkpads were comfy and durable
>>
>>59038950
i'm honestly suprised they didn't sell a fucking dock that came with multiple USB ports, HDMI, VGA, fan, etc

nah let's sell dongles
>>
File: poo.png (424KB, 828x600px) Image search: [Google]
poo.png
424KB, 828x600px
>>59038950
they're very diverse though
>>
File: 800px-Powerbook_150.jpg (64KB, 800x767px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Powerbook_150.jpg
64KB, 800x767px
>>59038879
>>59038882
powerbooks have been around since 1991. the comfyness originally started at Apple lads
>>
File: ot-00051.jpg (4MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
ot-00051.jpg
4MB, 3888x2592px
>old macbooks had thinner display bezels than new ones
>>
>>59039019
This is why the Chinks will win in the long run
Rich companies can afford "diversity" but when they feel the competition they'll cut superfluous expenses and just hire people who aren't ticking lawsuit bombs.

>>59039001
Ironically we've come full circle and now in a way USB C is like a dock connector that does everything.
They *could* make a dock again, with full size HDMI, SD card reader, Ethernet, USB ports etc.
>>
>>59039086
see >>59038898
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad
>>
File: portable-byte-shitquality.jpg (171KB, 800x597px) Image search: [Google]
portable-byte-shitquality.jpg
171KB, 800x597px
>>59038973
There was interest in a portable Macintosh long before the first ThinkPad tablets were hitting the shelves, the PowerBook was simply the inevitable successor to this hunk of lead-acid powered shit, as well as their answer to clonemakers like Outbound.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>59039001
>i'm honestly suprised they didn't sell a fucking dock that came with multiple USB ports, HDMI, VGA, fan, etc

Well there is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUe2KAwvZsA
>>
>>59038950
>And now you can't do shit with them without 10 different dongles and adaptors and USB hubs.
This is the whole point of the much-hated USB-C port.

>>59039294
>>59039086
those keyboards tho
>>
>>59039334
68K and most PPC portables have probably the best keyboards I've ever used in personal experience, although others like the Duo line were hot garbage.
>>
>>59039107
I got one of those in college for nothing after the paint from the keys got on the screen somehow
>>
>>59038882
>Wrong way around senpai, Jobs started work on those after he used his comfy ThinkPad while working at NeXT.
Jobs never owned ThinkPads. He actually liked SONY Viaos.

Quit spreading lies, chik shill.
>>
>>59039416
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2209

I don't think there were even VAIO portables around when he returned, let alone one that fully supported NeXTSTEP.
>>
>>59039398
>after the paint from the keys got on the screen somehow
The mythical Apple build quality.
People who buy Apple laptops then have to feel justified so they insist Apple make the best laptops, some new fools get sucked into the cult and so on.
>>
>>59039439
That's all rumors and nonsense. Steve never used a ThinkPad. He fucking hated IBM. Jobs loved VAIOs, however, and wanted SONY to put MacOS on them. He even said he'd make an exception for them and allow them to put Mac branding on them.

After that deal fell through, Jobs pushed Apple to make their own laptops. Sony's biggest mistake of that era. Not as big as Intel's mistake of not making chips for iPhone but still a big mistake.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/02/05/sony-turned-down-offer-from-steve-jobs-to-run-mac-os-on-vaio-laptops-says-ex-president/
>>
>>59039484
Shut your mouth, retard. You've obviously never owned one. Even haters admit it's the best built laptop after they've used it for a day. New MBP is off the charts when it comes to build quality and feel. Nothing even comes close to it. PC manufacturers can't even match 2012 MBP's trackpad.
>>
which one of you miscreants did this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaio
>>
>>59039579
Literally every generation has some well known quality problem or other. They are nothing special compared to other expensive laptops.
And you've clearly never used an EliteBook with a glass touchpad it's exactly the same.
>>
>>59039618
Every laptop has problems, jackass. At least Apple fixes shit and doesn't abandon their products like 99% of PC and Android manufacturers.
>>
>>59039618
>EliteBook
HP is a tribute company. They don't make anything original anymore. They're just copying others. They have a whole line devoted to making shitty MBP knockoffs that work like crap. EliteBook is literally garbage. If you want a PC notebook, get a ThinkPad. I can't think of seeing anyone ever using an HP laptop in SanFran.
>>
File: Pi6Vb.jpg (627KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Pi6Vb.jpg
627KB, 3264x2448px
>>59039643
Sorry couldn't hear you, you were holding your phone wrong.
>>
>>59039664
Haha yes and Microsoft's design is a cargo cult copy of Apple
>in SanFran
Are you pulling my leg here
>>
>>59039019
>Pajeette
>>
File: Pho_Obj_GridCompass.jpg (2MB, 6016x4016px) Image search: [Google]
Pho_Obj_GridCompass.jpg
2MB, 6016x4016px
Are GRiD laptops comfy?
>>
File: cf31.jpg (38KB, 450x396px) Image search: [Google]
cf31.jpg
38KB, 450x396px
>>59039579
>Mac has the best build quality
Meanwhile, in reality
>>
File: American market when.jpg (25KB, 665x498px) Image search: [Google]
American market when.jpg
25KB, 665x498px
>>59040226
Or if you're too much of a baby to carry around 9 pounds of build quality
>>
>>59039551
>That's all rumors and nonsense.
It's far more substantiated by multiple sources than this idea that he was running non-existent VAIO portables in 1997.
>Steve never used a ThinkPad. He fucking hated IBM.
Yeah, in 1980. And it's a bunch of dogmatic bullshit he demonstrably got over at NeXT. It's not really a stretch to assume he was using one, they had decent NeXTSTEP support and were all around high-quality, flagship systems.
>Jobs loved VAIOs, however, and wanted SONY to put MacOS on them. He even said he'd make an exception for them and allow them to put Mac branding on them.
But I really don't understand what you think his appreciation for VAIO systems in 2001 has to do with what he was running in 1997-1998.

>>59039610
That's childish, but my sides hurt none the less.
>>
>>59040047
They are pretty sweet, but the storage they use is bubble memory which is hard to find

Had a gridcase 3 and we sold it for $180 or so
Fellow said the LCD 'broke' when he got it.
>>
>>59040226
Toughbooks aren't even the best rugged systems, if you're going to grasp at straws and try to act like niche shit like that is a realistic thing to bring up then at least do your homework first.
>>
>>59040599
Show me a better one.
>>
>>59040620
Anything from Getac.
>>
>>59040641
What makes them better? Genuinely curious, since I've heard everything from them being equal to them being worse. One thing I really like about my toughbooks is that they're very easy to work on, and the insides aren't ultra cramped.
>>
File: x500_bigsize5.jpg (75KB, 690x358px) Image search: [Google]
x500_bigsize5.jpg
75KB, 690x358px
>>59040664
Honestly I was just shitposting as an aside, I just thought it was pretty retarded to bring up a ruggedized system when talking about consumer boxes, but some of the shit Getac's got going, particularly the X500 looks real nice with tons of expansion options in particular.

I still do like my Toughbooks even if the rubber port covers seem to be really shit quality, at least more shit than I'd feel they have any right to be.
>>
>>59040807
I have a 2008 CF-30, and the only cover that's gone is the DC jack cover, although I don't know how often the others were used. I know the Toughbook isn't really popular, but Toughbooks and Getac do have the best build qualities on the market, hands down.
Also
>Implying you can't use a Toughbook as a daily laptop
My main laptop is a CF-53, and my backups are a CF-30 and a PowerBook G4.
>>
>>59040911
>I have a 2008 CF-30, and the only cover that's gone is the DC jack cover, although I don't know how often the others were used.
Most of mine are older and have the same problem, feels kind of bullshit considering the kind of shit I've seen a lot of even older hardware come through without a scratch.
>>Implying you can't use a Toughbook as a daily laptop
You totally can, but you can't deny that it's not common to see it out in the wild, that rugged build does carry a price premium, and they're a little overkill for a daily driver. You don't need to be able to throw your shit off a building to say it's well built, it's all in whether it was well built for what it was meant to do, and I think I'd say ShitBooks and most of their competition are decent by that kind of standard.
>>
>>59040807
I mean, you could buy 4 comparably spec'd laptops for the price of a ruggedized Getac. Personally I'd make the bet that I'd be able to make 2 or 3 last until the Getac was obsolete. Not to even mention the availability of accidental damage warranty coverage.
>>
>>59043149
>I mean, you could buy 4 comparably spec'd laptops for the price of a ruggedized Getac.
Sure, that's a great plan if you're just a typical user with overly clumsy tendencies. But that's not what those things are built for, they're made for field work in extreme conditions or dangerous locations where run-of-the-mill hardware is at high risk of getting damaged and such damage is unacceptable for whatever reason, whether it needs to last a very long time, or maybe it's doing something critical such as data acquisition/control which isn't easily backed up in the field or recovered if some mishap happens that ends up shocking the laptop in some way.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.