[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Work as IT guy at lumber company >Switching to weight-based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: poo-to-loo.jpg (37KB, 651x386px) Image search: [Google]
poo-to-loo.jpg
37KB, 651x386px
>Work as IT guy at lumber company
>Switching to weight-based pricing, drive-thru lumber yard in all locations
>Need a custom point-of-sale system developed for all of this
>Boss decides to hire American software firm that is 1 hour away through word of mouth
>They have a good portfolio and some good things said about them online
>Have skype meeting, explain what we need, send some pictures, tell them equipment we are using etc.
>Pay them $80,000 over 3 months (originally supposed to cost $45,000 and 2 months).
>They email a google drive link for download and give no instruction about setup
>2-weeks of fucking with it and barely get it working
>Boss demands they drive out here to help us
>They claim they are too busy, they delivered the product as defined in the deal
>Alright, it's finally working
>Use it for 2 months
>It works like crap, we are losing money on sales because math is wrong on some calculations, software terminates for no reason at all in the middle of a sale
>Start using paper, pen, and calculator to do sales manually again. Back to square one
>Talk to another lumber yard that we do business deals with on occassion
>They recommend indian based Pajeet software company
>Pajeet flys from India to our location in the USA
>Spends 1 week going over all the requirements and needs, observes our daily business tasks, etc.
>Quotes $20,000 and 5 weeks time
>3 weeks later the software is done. 50 pages of documentation on setup, use, troubleshooting included
>Get $6,000 credit for support because they only used $14,000 for development
>Pajeet flys back out and spends 1 week setting it up and 1 more week training our employees/me on it's use
>Been using it for 3 months and zero issues

Please explain your myth about Pajeet being bad coders /g/
>>
>>59035801
Did the lumber company get their money back for the shit tier American made software or were they just screwed out of 80,000 buckaroos?
>>
>>59035801
kind of just sounds like you guys didnt define your requirements well, and the second time around when you talked to the indians you could talk about all the things you thought you needed more in depth because you lacked them from the american company

if there's no documentation and setup and the guy can say "we delivered as promised in the deal" and your boss goes "well ok i guess he's right", guess who fucked up?
>>
Hermans...?
>>
if the US firm was actually able to "deliver as defined in the deal" without any documentation or support, then its your bosses fault ever making that deal in the first place.

Just assuming that they would come out to your worksite just because they're local is fucking the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Thats the kind of stuff that needs to be predefined in the deal before they start. Thats the kind of bargaining chip you use when shopping around for a software developer in the first place

I agree with other anon, it sounds like your it took your boss $80,000 to get his head out of a hole and figure out what he actually needed, so he could commission the job properly
>>
>>59035801
Hoss, you need to vette your candidates better and get the lawyers involved. I fired an entire dept. Because of the lying fucks I caught sand bagging and wasting 10s of thousands of dollars. Brought in a team of devs from down the street. Had them quote and timeline everything. Had great results after that. Without an iron clad contact with both sides fully understanding what needs to be done you will be wasting so much time. There are too many fly by night outfits and that knife cuts both ways be the devs pooinloo or amerifats
>>
>>59035801
Sounds like Americans are better at making money
>>
Hire a lawyer to negotiate your contracts.
>>
>paying more than 500 dollars on a POS system that a highschool kid can probably write in 3 days
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.