[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Molex to 8 Pin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 41zFH3QV97L.jpg (20KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
41zFH3QV97L.jpg
20KB, 500x332px
Molex to 8 Pin adapters.
Are they worth it?
Does anyone have any experience?
Does anyone have a recommended one?
>>
Molex can't really supply much current, those multiple 12v on the 8 pin are basically useless becaure they're backed by only one molex pin.

From my experence molex starts heating up at 4amps, unless there are versions with multiple molex input it's just a meme adapter.
>>
>>59035491
How many molex would you need?
>>
There is no way anything less than 4 molex could supply the amount of current a midrange GPU draws under load
>>
>>59035263
You need *at least* 2 Molex - on different cables! - for a 8-pin GPU connector. Better three. Better yet, get a new power supply.
If you're trying to power a high end GPU with a single Molex adapter, you're setting up a housefire.
>>
File: smoking.png (523KB, 528x486px) Image search: [Google]
smoking.png
523KB, 528x486px
>>59035807
Trying to power a GTX 1070. My GPU only has one 6+2 and not another 8 pin or 6+2.

Trying to avoid a new PSU for a single cable.
>>
PSU model?
>>
>>59035831
Housefire or buying a new power supply. Your choice.
>>
>>59035831
You're going to have to buy one. You'll just burn out your GPU and PSU.
>>
>>59035263
>Are they worth it?
>Does anyone have any experience?
>Does anyone have a recommended one?
Yeah, they're great if you like house fires.

Stay away from Molex ===> anything if you don't want to be homeless.
>>
File: 12-200-420-01.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
12-200-420-01.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
Not the same person but don't they make 6 pin to 8 pin adapters like these that work? I could have sworn a friend used one.
>>
>>59035831
1070 requires ~150W IIRC, half of which it can get through the PCIe socket. 75W (6.25 A) is a bit much for a single Molex cable, so you should use two to be safe (remember - on different cables! It's the wires that are the problem, not the connector itself). If a cable has two or more Molex connectors, use the one closest to the power supply.
>>
>>59035831
>>59035910
Also make sure your PSU can provide enough current on the +12V rail for both CPU and GPU.
>>
>>59035910
You mean on two different cables coming from the PSU?
>>
>>59035967
Yes.

PSUs typically use 18AWG wires, which can handle up to ~5A without getting hot. That's 5Ax12V=60W per one pair of yellow+black wires.

The standard 8-pin connector technically is a bit of overkill for a GTX 1070 since it has 4 pairs of wires and can provide over 200W, but extra wires provide redundancy in case of faulty connector pins etc.
>>
>>59035901
>>59035901

Is this a real thing?
>>
>>59036244
Yeah. Those extra 2 pins are just ground, so the adapter just hooks them into the other ground connections.
It's not necessarily safe, but neither is a molex to pci 8 pin
>>
>>59036652
But is it SAFER?
>>
>>59037303
Of course
>>
>>59035263
generally you can do by with one adapter. Don't power your gpu with all molex cables unless you got a good psu, but then if you do then you should already have 8pin connectors :^)
>>
>>59035263

molex adapters generally end in housefires
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.