[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those of you who wageslave, if someone came up to you and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: server.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
server.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
For those of you who wageslave, if someone came up to you and asked if they should go into IT, what would you say?
>>
And I'm talking more someone from /g/, not a normie.
>>
Only if they are young, enthusiastic enough to keep up with flavors of the month and have the right connections to be a well-funded startup's new "rock star."
>>
>>59033619
"Do you want to play a game?"
>>
>>59033619
id say go into non-IT-related-engineerng, medicine, pharmacy, or finance
IT is a shitshow and theres too many environmental factors that decide your success
>>
File: fX6nbgF.jpg (323KB, 1440x1152px) Image search: [Google]
fX6nbgF.jpg
323KB, 1440x1152px
>>59033619
No
IT is a much more social job than most realize
You either need to appease your customer, your users or your coworkers

As a helpdesk or desktop support monkey your job is to serve your users
As a consultant you need to pull in customers and sell yourself
As anything else you will be part of a team and not being a teamplayer can seriously break shit
>>
>>59033619
Depends where they want to be.
I started in helpdesk with no experience roughly ten years ago. Did desktop support for a few years with basic certs.

I decided to specialize in VMware and storage. I started working at a multitenant data center did that for the past 2 years. Now I'm looking to move into the security side of things. While I love working in a datacenter since I am dealing with just machines and project managers most days, I just don't see myself doing it forever.

I'd only recommend it if you are willing ti put in the hours if self study. I think college is overrated for an IT job. I understand having a degree for programming to an extent, but even then experience is king.
>>
Do you have good contacts? Then yeah, but it's still a gamble.

Are you an introvert autist? No, don't do it unless you can do your work alone (and actually get it done with good quality).
>>
>>59033619
The rope is a better solution than IT-support-Hell
>>
I don't know. Ask someone that works in IT - they could give you a better answer.
>>
>>59033619
Yes, if:

- You have a lot of patience
- You aren't too introverted
- You can keep a cool head
- You are a good liar

I'm in IT. Pays well and I didn't do anything IT education wise until I was 20 and found it really easy to get into.

People can't use computers for shit. Just being rational and able to do basic Windows Server stuff is enough knowledge you need tbqh.
>>
considering that I love programming, I'd say yes
>>
>>59037564
As a 20 yo retail worker what exactly did you do to get your qualifications and job
>>
>>59033646
That's not IT that's meme software dev
>>
>>59033619
If you don't know if you want to go into a field, you don't want to go into that field.
>>
>>59033619
IT work always just seemed so... extra. So much work and having to kiss management's ass. Plus you have to deal with all the bullshit incompetent workers.

I've been doing PC builds, repairs, laptop repairs, standard IT bullshit. I also run my own file/backup/print server and have an associates degree in networking administration. You know what I do for a living? I fucking move boxes back and forth inside of a warehouse for a major auto manufacturer and make $31/hr doing so.

TL,DR only go into IT if it's something you really want to do. Shit you can make decent money as a local truck driver. I know we're on /g/ and all but there are non IT non degree requiring jobs out there that do pay half way devent and you don't have to deal with people all that much.
>>
>>59037606
I did an apprenticeship. I'm in the UK, so I dunno what else it might be called elsewhere

I'm now on £22k at 22 without ever trying. There's people with tech degrees on less than I'm on.
>>
>>59037823
Wise move, you did a decent apprenticeship and got a good job out of it.

I kinda wish I never bothered with University, but to be honest I had no idea what to do after high school/sixth form.
>>
>>59037823
Could you share what kind of apprenticeship? Im in the equivalent of highschool and moving to uk for my fathers business and would love some guidance here
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.