[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fast check before buying secondhand computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 9147658246_a59b0f5d01_b.jpg (2MB, 2048x1356px) Image search: [Google]
9147658246_a59b0f5d01_b.jpg
2MB, 2048x1356px
I'm about to buy a secondhand PC. Is there something I can ask to the seller to do, to know if everything is ok? Furthermore, once I'll have the computer in my hands, is there a check I can do in a matter of minutes?

I was thinking about asking him to install Speccy just to confirm that the specs he claimed were real, but I don't know what else I should be checking (apart from SMART values). I'm afraid of faults like unsoldered components, damaged RAM, and anything that wouldn't come out in the reasonable amount of time that will be allowed to me to check if everything is ok.
>>
uhhh just build your own or quit being a total kike about shit. i'm assuming you are getting a deal. if you are worried about damaged ram you're poor and probably should save that money and keep using whatever computer you are (unfortunately) posting with
>>
>>59030032
Ask them to run Unigine Heaven or Valley. Or if they happen to have it, PCMark.
>>
>>59030049
Dude, chill. I'm posting with a decent laptop. I just found a deal on Facebook and would like to replace my 10 year old desktop PC.

Here are the specs:
>Case: Thermaltake Soprano
>PSU: 650W Mars Gaming
>CPU: Intel i7 Quad-core @2.7GHz
>RAM: 2x4GB HyperX DDR3 @1600MHz
>HDD: 500GB Maxtor
>MOBO: Asus P6T-SE
>GPU: Sapphire R9 270X DualX 2GB DDR5
The seller is asking 200€ = 210$. I don't know how old the computer is and how much stress it went through, but this seems a pretty good bargain to me.

I have already bought a PC on Facebook for my gf, from a guy that was selling everything he had because needed to move to the US from Europe. I had no problem with it. I assume the seller is the kind of guy that got bored with his old pc and is trying to make some money with it instead of throwing it into the trash bin.
>>
>>59030191
>>CPU: Intel i7 Quad-core @2.7GHz
>>GPU: Sapphire R9 270X DualX 2GB DDR5
Then definitely do >>59030145. Replace PCMark with 3DMark.
>>
>>59030145
I'm not exactly interested in knowing the pc's performances since I've got the specs. Are you suggesting that running those demos may let out potential hardware faults?
>>
>>59030212
Yes, they'll stress the system. Sure, you can feel free to not give a shit about performance (unless it's significantly crappy for some reason), what matters is being able to finish the test.
>>
>>59030191
i7 920 and a 270X for $210? Shove it in his face. You're going to need to replace the PSU and HDD. That'll bring it up to $310 probably.

Also, where the fuck is the third stick of RAM. The original i7's were triple channel. Should be 3x4gb.
>>
>>59030191
OP, after doing some research this appears to be a first generation i7

all together that's a pretty great price for everything, but yeah contact this person to make sure everything is functional and that you meet them in a public place. If they try to rape you just whip out your phone and start babbling like crazy
>>
>>59030234
Sandy Bridge had 20% higher IPC than Nehalem mate. It's not worth it, it's gonna be around 40% behind per clock vs current shit, and it'll only overclock to 4ghz~

OP should just buy Ryzen when it drops in two weeks.
>>
>>59030191
i7 what gen?
270x is rather weak by todays standards
id replace the hdd and gpu
>>
Thanks everyone.

>>59030145
>>59030207
>>59030222
hold on, I just read on 3DMark site that it weighs about 4GB. I won't have time to install all that stuff. I don't know who I am dealing with, maybe he will get pissed, and I don't want to create awkward situations. The earlier I get away with the computer, the better.

>>59030230
>>59030309
>>59030320
Guys, I don't plan to replace anything, I just can't afford it. That said, I don't think that PC is complete shit with its current specs.

>>59030234
kek, I hope instead he will let me see it turned on. But as I said I don't want to risk and will try to leave ASAP.
>>
>>59030336
The PSU is a death ball waiting to explore. Mars is shit, was shit, always will be shit. You're going to need to replace it. Don't be surprised if it blows and takes everything else out otherwise.

I don't trust an eight year old Maxtor HDD either.

Honestly, this shit is too old.
>>
>>59030358
>The PSU is a death ball waiting to explore. Mars is shit, was shit, always will be shit. You're going to need to replace it.
[citation needed]

>I don't trust an eight year old Maxtor HDD either.
Meh, I'll just throw my old PC's HDD in, then.
>>
>>59030388
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Tacens.html
>>
>>59030388
if you wanna be stubborn about suggestions in regards to the hdd and psu, mostly the psu, then be my guest. itll be the first thing to blow on you lol
>>
>>59030450
>>59030453
Ok thanks. No hablo espanol, so I couldn't really grasp what that link says. The seller claims that he bought the PSU recently, while that page dates back from 2014. Is that relevant?

Also https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/731800-shit-psus-will-explode/
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.