[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Connecting router to antenna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: LAiqfWU.jpg (566KB, 1935x2591px) Image search: [Google]
LAiqfWU.jpg
566KB, 1935x2591px
I have a large antenna in my backyard like pic related
Would it be possible to connect a routers wifi antennas to it and make a giant ass wifi network?
The main idea is a wifi range of about a mile to trick normies into connecting because "hey free wifi"
>>
I highly doubt your wifi router has enough power to broadcast on that antenna.
>>
>>59027968
Would a transformer to step up the voltage work?
>>
>>59028019
Would buying something like a radio station has work?
>>
>Would has using analog aerial ((((receiver)))) to broadcast wifi
The current state of /g/
>>
Why (((jews)))?
>>
>>59028100
Why can't a receiver be used to broadcast digital signals?
>>
>>59028134
>why cant a receiver be used to send?
>>
Sorry OP, I was quick to judge you but at least you are thinking out of the box unlike the rest of board with:
AMD on suicide watch
Same boring watch thread
Why don't you own a MacBook, are you poor?
Blah blah blah
>>
>>59027968
That antenna is not suited to 2.4ghz. That's a wavelength of about 12cm.
>>
if you were a mile away wouldn't you need an equally powerful antenna to send the signal back
>>
>>59028159
Its a piece of fucking metal. Why can't it also broadcast?
>>
>>59028204
An antenna resists the signal unless it is resonant with the frequency being transmitted. Read up on SWR.
>>
>>59028226
What if I hypothetically had access to a radio stations antenna? Would it be possible to make it broadcast the wifi?
>>
>>59028248
The antenna needs to be an appropriate electrical length for the signal or needs a tuner to make it appear to be the correct electrical length or it will reflect the signal back to the wifi device and burn it out. Using a tuner keeps it from burning out the device, but does not create an efficient antenna. If you want wifi that goes further you either need more power, or a higher gain antenna. Higher gain is achieved by focusing the signal in specific directions. This can be done with a dish or grid type antenna, or with a pringles can. Higher power can be achieved with an amp, but you should 1 have a license to user higher power and 2 know what you're doing so you don't kill yourself.
>>
>>59027968
I'm not knowledgeable about radios but I think it will be highly inefficient because wifi operates at 2.4 or 5ghz frequency and has shorter wavelengths. That huge antenna is probably meant for lower frequency wavelengths. Also something about matching the impedance of the antenna and your wifi radio.
>>
>>59028278
Why do you need a license to use higher power? or what if I have the ability to generate that power myself?
And I'm not really worried about killing myself because I've been meaning to do that anyway
>>
>>59028371
You need a license for higher power because you can disrupt other communications and are supposed to know what you are doing and the rules to it all.
People with a license have to broadcast their licensed call-sign regularly to identify themselves.
You can make or buy a little yagi antenna or whatever made for WIFI frequencies with the right impedance and stick it up on top of the antenna and it will work good.
A directional antenna, plus height (which gives you longer line of sight and can shoot over more obstacles) makes a huge difference regardless of the broadcast power involved.
>>
>>59028459
That's a good idea. How much range would you get by doing that?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.