[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overclocking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 14-137-024-14.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
14-137-024-14.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
I'm on an RX 470, if I OC my Core Clock to 1400 w/ max power limit and it red screens in games, etc. Does that mean I have to enable and raise the core voltage?

I'm used to OCing CPU's, not GPU's.
Do GPU's work like CPU's where it's nearly impossible to fry without being absolutely retarded because it'll shut itself off before damage is done?

Also anyone else got some settings for their RX 470's they're willing to share?
>>
I've only overclocked Nvidia GPUs. Nvidia GPUs at least since the 9 series cannot be fried from OCing. If you go too high you either get a black screen and then the card dials back to default settings or your computer will restart and dial back to default settings.

I'd assume AMD has the same setup. Just start by increasing core clock +100, running a bench mark. If it works, go +25, benchmark. Repeat until it doesn't work, then dial back 25 and increase by +5 until it doesn't work again if you really want to min-max it.

Once you have found your max core clock on stock voltage and power limit settings, I like to do mem clock next. I start with +100 then go +50 until it doesn't work, same principle for the core clock.

Then I max out the voltage and power limit and see if it will let me go any further, repeating above method for core and mem clocks. When you find your new maxes, begin dialing back voltage and PL slightly to see if you can keep stable at your new maxes without requiring full voltage or PL.

Then, lastly, decide if the maxes you achieve under increased voltage and PL are high enough that you think it's worth it to keep your voltage and PL maxed for them. If you're only getting +25 core clock and it required you to max your voltage and PL for example, I'd deem that not worth it and just go back to the maxes achieved under stock voltage and PL*. If you got +50 or higher I might deem that worth it, depending on how much higher temps that caused. If it's significantly higher temps and requires you to custom fan curve and ends up requiring your fans spin really loud to maintain, I'd deem it not worth it. If it's just a few C temp increase or even more than that but doesn't require you to significantly raise fan speed and you're under safe temp limit, then keep it.

*If AMD cards have a boost feature, make sure your stock overclock runs for a decent amount of time. If it underclocks by itself, may need to raise voltage or PL.
>>
>>59022028
I have a 4gb RX 480 that I have running at 1355 core/1850 mem. I used to have it at 1400 core clock but it was drawing a fuck ton of power since I needed to throw a lot of voltage at it. Can't OC the memory to 2000 mhz either without crashing which kind of sucks.
>>
>>59022255

Hit character limit so would like to clarify that asterisk a bit more. As stated earlier you find your max under stock voltage and PL. Even though this might be stable, it could end up underclocking slightly (you'll still be higher than your defaults) because during sustained use it might hit the power limit and thus need to dial back the OC slightly to maintain it. If this happens, check your voltage and PL graphs in MSI Afterburner or whatever OC software you used. If you see a 1 voltage or PL, it means those targets are being hit and thus you are being limited by them. If they are 0's they aren't being hit. If you see them hit 1 and your core clock starts underclocking, increase them.

(Not sure if this is applicable to AMD cards because idk if it something that only happens to cards with a boost feature and if the boost feature is only part of Nvidia cards)
>>
>>59022335
tfw 1400mhz core 2145mhz mem 4gb rx 480 @ 1.175v
really want to get liquid coolings and see how high this bad boi can go, even on air @ 1400 i'm 10C below the thermal limit
>>
>>59022763
Yeah I really lost the silicon lottery there.
>>
>>59022028
It means that you need to buy Nvidia.

Also RX 470 is literally worst card to OC. Ocing memory actually decreases performance, majority of cards have a terrible temp limit before they throttle themselves. Get a RX 480 or Nvidia and stop bothering my ass with your shitty tech support threads for shitty products.
>>
Really don't be scared you aren't going to hurt anything, you will hit the power limit before you give a polaris card enough voltage to fry it 14nm is no joke some people are running modded bios on old drivers just to get past the 1.2v lock.
>>
>>59022028
GTX 1080
2,310mhz core
12,035mhz ddr5x
AMD needs to step up their game.
>>
>>59022028
If you want more power, buy a better card (Novideo) or wait for Vega. DO NOT buy a 480.
>>
>>59022028
You will see artifacting if it's not working right. Unlike a CPU, it won't just crash your whole system.

As for burning out, just don't put it or the VRAM over like 73C. At least that was the level for a 7970. Others will say 80-100C is fine... but why when you can get a good cooler?

Like my 7970 was 1000mhz stock core, but it would overclock to 1325mhz fine.
Of course no games have really needed that, not at 1920x1200, and I found I could heavily unvolt it and drop clock to 910mhz. That was the sweet spot for voltage:clock ratio. Mined a lot of buttcoins with that.
>>
>>59027713
But to the original question, yeah a GPU is almost exactly like a GPU.
It's going to have a sweet spot for the best ratio of voltage:clock.
At all points of voltage, there's going to be a stable range of clocks. To go higher you need to add too much voltage. There is a limit of voltage you can add. And more voltage means more heat.
Hope to god you have VRAM sensors and heatsinks, because some don't.
>>
>>59022028
Check your ASIC quality with gpu-z if you're on air cooling, if you're near 70% or higher then you SHOULD be able to hit 1400 on the core with a bit of voltage (maybe +25mv) and an additional +25% of power limit, but remember that it needs to be cooled properly as well.

Also like what people say, dont try to upgrade to a 480 just to overclock (unless you really really really really really want to)
>>
>>59025002
>ddr5x
why dose the "X" add $200 to the GPU
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.