[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /g/'s honest opinon on Mac OS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 11

File: og_image[1].png (924KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
og_image[1].png
924KB, 1200x630px
What is /g/'s honest opinon on Mac OS?
>>
>>59015423
It's only worth getting on a hackintosh PC. Overall getting Linux or ChromeOS is much better.
>>
>>59015423
It's really nice, but I still hate the flatshit and Sierra is an untested piece of pajeet garbage. It is steadily getting worse.
>>
>>59015423
>/g/'s honest opinon
Good luck with that
>>
>>59015494
On what world is ChromeOS "much better" than anything?
>>
>>59015423
Reminds me humanity is hopeless
>>
>>59015553
None
>>
>>59015423
it's great, not ideal ofc
windows and linux are roughly the same, so no big deal in the end, i guess
>>
>>59015423
i really want to get mac but its expensive as fuck
also those who use mac how malware free really it is?
>>
>>59015553
It doesn't require you to pay a fortune on an equally shitty OS.
>>
>>59015589
Never had any malware myself.

The 5k imacs are a good buy when you consider the price of a 5k monitor.
>>
>>59015423
it's alright. But not really easier to use than windows and it only runs on dogshit hardware
>>
>>59015423
About the OS, I like it. It does many things well. Some, not so much. I'm still waiting for NTFS/Vulkan native support and newer OpenGL libraries. But we probably won't get that because Apple.

OS X is good but with big drawbacks depending on what you do. Plus, Apple computers are overpriced. Do yourself a favor and build a hackintosh instead.
>>
File: endmylife.jpg (130KB, 960x535px) Image search: [Google]
endmylife.jpg
130KB, 960x535px
>>59015567
>windows and linux are roughly the same,
>>
>>59015423
It werks and looks decent. But I just don't see a scenario where I'd pick it over the other two.
For development, I go with something GNU/Linux based, for gaymen obviously with Windows.
>>
>>59015423
I've used Windows 8.1 & 10, OS X and (currently) Ubuntu 14.06 LTS

Out of all of them I liked OS X the most, only issue is the hardware sucks on all of the Mac machines i have. Considering a hackintosh, but worried that it'll be a world of problems.
>>
>>59015589

about as malware free as windows if ur not retarded
>>
>>59015682
16.04*
>>
>>59015423
I like it. More stable than Windows, less disruptive, and I think it looks better.

Too bad you need to pay the Apple tax for it.
>>
File: RentaHero_MD_JP_PrintAdvert.jpg (3MB, 2454x3068px) Image search: [Google]
RentaHero_MD_JP_PrintAdvert.jpg
3MB, 2454x3068px
>>59015423

bought a MBA a few years back

tried REALLY hard to like it because: pro audio and i wanted to play with quartz composer

>couldnt get root to file system without fucking round
>bootmanager doesnt like mac os + win + linux triple boot
>felt like a fischer price os

i just wiped the whole thing and put linux mint on it and never looked back.
>>
>>59015423

Probably my favourite out of the 3. Currently use windows and linux. I will never purchase apple hardware again though.
>>
>>59015589
just don't be retarded
the number of people I know who download "MacCleaner" or whatever, holy shit

>>59015423
I've been a hardcore macfag for 5 years. from what I know it's the graphic design industry standard, so that keeps me along with the synergy between itself and iPhone, I don't know of any other os that has such a deep rooted ecosystem
>>
>>59015595
Except you can't do shit on Chrome OS.
>>
>>59015423
My first Mac was a 2007 Macbook Pro with OS X Tiger. What I remember loving about it was Spotlight, and how responsive it was (after multiple hours of thrashing your disk to index everything). It was worth it though, because it was years ahead of Windows XP and Vista. A simple keystroke and your whole filesystem was at your fingertips. That feature alone really drew me into Apple's "ecosystem," along with other features like hot corners and Exposé, which made a lot more sense than what Windows was doing at the time. Ten years later, Apple is in a much different place. They're clearly trying to merge the "desktop" (macOS) and mobile experiences, and macOS is suffering for it. There hasn't been a feature with the same wow factor as Spotlight since then. The latest iPhone event (where they introduced all the frivolous Messages features like stickers) represents really well where Apple is today: they have a very successful yet mature (don't mean that in a good way) product in the iPhone, and there's not much major ground left they can cover. Or maybe they're running out of ideas? Either way, Apple is not the same company it was ten years ago. There are some vestiges of usefulness left in Sierra, but it's clear from the latest MBP that Apple is no longer invested in the desktop experience like they once were.
>>
>>59015767
So exactly like MacOS?
>>
It's alright. I have a 2013, 13 inch rMBP. The build quality is amazing, all the peripherals like microphone, touchpad, keyboard etc. are usually much better than other popular laptop brands. The battery life is amazing and for me one of the most important things is the mobility which is also really nice. But the specs aren't that good, it's lacking in CPU power and RAM (don't care much about the GPU desu), so a simulation I'd run on the school computers (one of those bog standard dell desktops) would take about 40-50% less time compared to my mac. The OS is nice, much better than windows but at times I'd prefer linux over it. If you are not one of those manchildren carrying 17 inch GAYMUR laptops around and playing video games during lectures, it is one of the best choices available.
>>
File: C42xtFPVYAE4RhH.jpg (97KB, 1200x718px) Image search: [Google]
C42xtFPVYAE4RhH.jpg
97KB, 1200x718px
>>59015423
Speaking purely as a regular user.
I like the way it handles adding/removing programs, much, much better than Windows or Linux at the moment.
There are no weird audio issues like in Liux, the graphics compositor is running smoothly most of the time just like in Windows, and very much unlike Linux.
It actually uses all the RAM you've got to cache shit in, I've got it installed on a HDD so boot time is very slow, but after that the programs open up instantly.
It also resumes instatnly from sleep which isn't something Windows does, Linux is a lot better but still not as instant as OS X.

What I don't like is the DE as a whole, in fact I fucking hate using it tbqh, which is a shame because there's a lot to like other than that.
And I hope that GNU/Linux will catch up to it eventually with things like snap / flatpack, and Wayland becoming the default in every DE.
>>
It looks sexy and is probably quite nice to use. Better than windows at the very least. That said I get completely mythed looking through iOS settings so I don't know how I'd fare without my config files.
>>
>>59015812
What exactly can't you do on MacOS though? Muh videogames?

Comparing it to Chrome OS is a joke.
>>
>>59015423
it's like ubuntu but without a decent package manager
>>
It is a rich man's linux.
>>
>>59015812
t. I never used macOS but I'm le funny troll
>>
>>59015673
Doesn't werk for me, but I'm trying to do more than just browse with it...
>>
It doesn't get in your face like the botnet OS and apps are generally more usable than the ones by loonixfags'.

But there are no more apps, and there will be even less in the coming years. It has been memed.
>>
>>59015423
I tried it for the first time recently. Yes, say what you want but I always wanted a Mac just to be a Macfag and was super disappointed with it desu.

Pros:
1)It looks pretty and cohesive
2)If you're in Apple's ecosystem everything just werks. Being able to answer your iPhone through your computer is amazing and Microsoft can only hope their continuum project is that reliable
3)The top-menu is pretty damn awesome and everything is in one place
4)Great hardware, albeit overpriced
5)Not annoying as Windows with its prompts
6)People awe at your Macbook like the normies they are and you look like you know what you're about

Cons:
1)The App Store is riddled with proprietary and paid apps
2)The majority of apps in the store are actually pretty shit if they're not paid
3)Ties back to the above but there's the same hassle to download and install the apps you'd actually use in Windows.
4)No package manager and I'm not going to use fucking Brew
5)Surprisingly high dependence on keyboard shortcuts
6)Full-screen instead of maximize by default because why
7)No window-snapping
8)Have to depend on third-party apps for features I just assumed were in macOS after using Windows and all the mainstream Linux distros

I'd get accustomed to it but the window snapping really killed me since I use that all the fucking time and I don't want to use Spectacle and fucking keyboard shortcuts for such a trivial thing. I'll just get the Xiaomi Mi Book and install Ubuntu.
>>
>>59017176
>tfw brew and spectacle just work
;:^)
>>
>>59015223
>>
>>59016233
linux is a kernel, pleb
>>
>>59015871
>DE as a whole, in fact I fucking hate using it tbqh
Fucking this. The whole DE is an abomination, so are most vanilla programs like Finder. If it didn't have those it would be a cool OS but currently it's still painful for me using it on my work laptop.

It's spectacular how everybody else seems to be fine with that abomination of an UI.
>>
>>59017176
nobody downloads from the App Store, except for a very small number of apps that benefit from iCloud.

brew works, not sure what you're on about.

Full screen instead of maximize be changed with the right software. Same for window snapping. Linux and Windows also need 3rd party software for customization.
>>
>>59017266
I guess that's what my biggest "this is unusable" issue boils down to. Everything is great aside from the gimped DE.

>>59017274
I found methods to maximize and snap windows but wasn't able to find any that let me do it with my mouse/hotcorners that were free.

Brew works, I know it does but I really don't like having to use third-party tools for something like that because autism, I guess.

>Linux and Windows also need 3rd party software for customization.
That I make a point of not using too much. I personally just use vanilla Ubuntu LTS and install Tweak Tool for ricing along with some Compiz tweaks: the biggest of which is a Super Key + Mouse Wheel shortcut to quickly change workspaces. Outside of that, I just use one indicator to give Ubuntu a proper notification center.

There's just no major push factor to macOS with my current setup and things are only looking up for Linux with Wayland/Mir and Snap/Flatpak. Just my honest opinion about macOS, anon. Thanks for telling me about the iCloud perk, I didn't know that.
>>
>>59015871
>Linux is a lot better
Linux doesn't even wake up most of the time, lol.
>>
>>59017416
BetterTouchTool does it for free IIRC, but I don't use that particular feature of it.

I agree that macOS development seems to be stagnating.
>>
>>59015606
This.I was a die-hard Macfag from 98-2007.I moved to Linux on a whim and was amazed at how much more sensible it was.There's a bunch of obtuse things about OS X and MacOS that become very apparent when you step back and compare.It's definitely NOT easier to use if you try to use it for anything outside of basic media consumption,and the hardware sucks.It works,but it is very limiting.
>>
>>59015731
>>couldn't get root
>>mint
You have to understand computer to post here.
>>
>>59017676
>>>couldn't get root
He's talking about the graphical explorer ("""finder"""), fag
>>>mint
It's ok, aside from being out-of-date compared to many other distros
>>
>>59017760
And aside that they pinched donations that people made to GNOME through their website in the past, i.e. that Linux Mint team are slimy scumbags.
>>
File: C42BTIYUkAAU-FH.jpg (63KB, 346x627px) Image search: [Google]
C42BTIYUkAAU-FH.jpg
63KB, 346x627px
>>59015423
My opinion on it is the following, macOS seems like a really polished distro and has all my Linux tools available as well. Can't rice as much but that's actually fine and is rock solid once you get it going. But the problem is that it only runs on Apple hardware which kills it for me, if they allowed dualbooting(without dedicated HDD or losing my data) and third-party drivers I'd be on that shit so hard.
>>
>>59018498
Installing macOS on non-Apple hardware has always been a thing. Depending on the hardware you install it on it runs just like a Mac.
I put something together with a ASUS motherboard with an i3, 4gb of ram and some nvidia GPU and it works. Some bugs as it relates to sleep mode but it all works, little under powered though
>>
>>59015423
Gonna hackintosh my t420
Will it run nice and smooth?
>>
>>59017760
>complaining about file explorer when you can use the terminal
do you even lift?
>>
>>59018498
>rock solid
>arbitrary hardware and third-party drivers
pick one
>>
>>59018734
It would run like a 2011 Macbook, which is still plenty useable
>>
>>59018862
cool
on a side note i made a unibeast mac os usb using virtual machine but when I use it from boot it just reboots my laptop
what did i do wrong
>>
>>59015423
Not a lot of third party support; a developer has to be registered to apple and approved. Hackintoshes are a pain in the arse for nothing more than a good looking OS with less functionality than Windows and Linux. Security is a plus though.
>>
>>59018882
Try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/
Be warned this will be a pain in the ass if you don't know what you are doing
>>
>>59018615
I know but it really does suck that I have to buy specific hardware for it.
>>59018817
I know but they should at least allow switching like Linux from their own drivers to community/propietary drivers
>>
>>59019024
Its the nature of the beast, most drivers for everything are native OSX drivers, ported BSD drivers or adapted drivers from native to run on similier hardware. You would usually replace the wifi card in your t420 anyway, its not too spendy to get something that would work with mac
>>
>>59019200
I know anon, but while macOS is bretty good I can just use GNU/Linux + Wine everywhere without specific hardware. hackintoshing only seems viable on ultrabooks without dGPUs and Intel CPUs since thats what apple uses on their base macs
>>
>>59017470
Works just fine on my laptop, even docking/undocking works fine which was surprising to me.
However, the network manager is inherited from Ubuntu 16.04 so it takes it sweet time to re-connect to wireless networks, that is if it connects at all.
>>
>>59017760
>can't use Finder
Preferences sure is hard to find, along with the "Open Path" option hidden away under the Go menu. Never breed and stop posting here.
>>
>>59019257
Your kind of right about the specific hardware thing, but considering that people are working against the grain on getting software that was only optimized on a few devices working 100% on many more hardware configurations then was ever intended is somewhat impressive
>>
Apple's answer to slowing markets is to completely abandon them.

Except all future macOS updates to be extremely minimal with next to no new hardware with the exception of laptop spec upgrades. The Mac Mini and Pro is 100% dead.
>>
>>59015423
Looks like it's perfect except for PC gaming.
>>
File: 1473950481398.png (386KB, 757x1077px) Image search: [Google]
1473950481398.png
386KB, 757x1077px
>>59015423
>>
>>59019953
>Moving to another platform.
>Expecting the same behaviour.
>Expecting to have all his old apps.
>>
>>59015423
Lacking in features, but still powerful

has it's own set of weaknesses, same as any OS
>>
>>59021050
>Lacking in features,
explain
>>
>>59019953
kek BTFO
>>
I moved from this zombo OS to Linux long ago and don't want back.
>>
File: 1464190292766.png (433KB, 1295x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1464190292766.png
433KB, 1295x1632px
>>59015423
>>
>>59015423
gayer than a cum dripping gapping arsehole
>>
the best

i look down on everyone without a mac to be honest
>>
The interface is nice but
>muh vidya
8.8/10, it's ok
>>
>>59015423

I hate the UI. I haven't used it long enough to have any other opinion.
>>
From having used hackintosh:

>What I like
It's a pretty stable OS, I barely have to get anything working (despite the fact I'm using a hack), it's really easy to use. It has tons of functionality hidden behind keyboard shortcuts. Some of its functions are "logical", for instance being able to drag and drop elements from place to place in ways that make sense. It has pretty decent, although limited software by default. It looks fucking gorgeous in comparison with Windows 10 and it has a much better font rendering. It's a very comfortable OS to use and with a magic trackpad there's a lot of gestures to use as well with it. Also, if there is a need for some function, it's there most likely.

>What I don't like
Unfortunately, if that function is there, it's also paid in many cases. So for something like being able to write on NTFS without issues or errors at random, you have to actually pay. Another thing is performance: With Windows 10/Ubuntu Linux on a modern computer, an SSD makes things really snappy. When working with OSX, it feels as though it's just "normal". As in, it feels almost as if the SSD is actually required. Programs don't open just as fast and boot times on hackintosh are a bit on the slow side.

Also, it's probably the worst platform for games, even linux has better support, but that's not that much of a problem.

That said, while I'm now using Windows on my desktop, I'm buying a thinkpad x220 soon and putting hackintosh on it, because I think the OS is terribly good for shitposting, work and listening to music.
>>
from whose standpoint?

consumer? it works and I like it. I prefer the flat finish way better than the ios 6 / maverick shit

developer? i dont develop shit but just use homebrew for shits and giggles. based on the other replied in this threads I'd assume it's terrible for developer
>>
>>59022831
>hate the UI
>haven't used it long enough

Hmmm, wonder if these are correlated?
>>
>>59024483
>using NTFS instead of exFAT
>>
Running El Capitan on Dell OptiPlex 780. Will upgrade to Sierra once Apple finishes with major patches on it.

After Windows 7 (or 8.1), there's really nothing good from Microsoft. Windows 10 is a flop. They couldn't even get a simple thing like the calculator right. Splash screen on a calculator? Lol.

It's either Linux or macOS now, and Linux is still lacking in desktop. Got Mac Ports to hold me over until Linux becomes viable.
>>
>>59017176
>no package manager
>I'm not going to use fucking Brew
Opinion discarded
>>
>>59015423
It's ok but I would recommend hackintoshing since Apple hardware is trash.
>>
>>59024483
>With Windows 10/Ubuntu Linux on a modern computer, an SSD makes things really snappy.

If something improves your PC's performance it's a sign that a bottleneck has been removed. If it doesn't then there was no bottleneck, or the bottleneck, if any, is elsewhere.
>>
>>59027127
Can you cite your authority for making this sweeping statement?
I only ask because it's a meme on /g/ that Apple uses standard PC parts but marks up the resulting computer.
I just don't want to spend a bunch of money and waste weeks of time on your say-so.
>>
>>59015423
Terrible OS.
Forces you to have iTunes and various other software installed
Forces you to have certain directories in your home folder
Generic drivers are shit. Constantly has problems switching between internal speakers and aux headphones. Constantly has problems with usb mouses.
Window manager is shit. Constant bugs relating to window placement (ie. popups menus appearing behind main window)
Task switcher is retarded. You can't even cmd-tab to a minimized window. It simply stays minimized until you use the mouse to click on the icon in the dock.
Still doesn't have basic snap-to-tile functionality or keyboard shortcuts for tiling windows like every single other OS.

Honestly I could go on but I have better things to do with my time and I have to use a macbook when I go to work tomorrow and I don't feel like thinking about the constant useability problems I experience daily at work.
>>
>>59028693
>Forces you to have iTunes and various other software installed
True
>Forces you to have certain directories in your home folder
Falso
>Generic drivers are shit. Constantly has problems switching between internal speakers and aux headphones. Constantly has problems with usb mouses.
Mice* also that depends on sound card drivers. I remember using VoodooHDA like a retard on a hackintosh and it turns out there's a better option
>Window manager is shit. Constant bugs relating to window placement (ie. popups menus appearing behind main window)
Couldn't experience that. Hell I would say it's pretty goddamn stable. No tearing which is a given on loonix, no random garbage artifacts being drawn on screen after resizing or moving windows, no blinking (fucking Unity)...
>Task switcher is retarded. You can't even cmd-tab to a minimized window. It simply stays minimized until you use the mouse to click on the icon in the dock.
True
>Still doesn't have basic snap-to-tile functionality or keyboard shortcuts for tiling windows like every single other OS.
There are free ways of doing that through third party software. In contrast, how would I do the fullscreen 2 windows side by side on Windows, or even put them on fullscreen at all? Can't do shit about that.

If you actually worked with it you would have find a way to make it work better for you
>>
File: Screenshot.jpg (625KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.jpg
625KB, 1680x1050px
>>
>>59030933
>Running macOS on a virtual machine
>Let's open launchpad and wait for a whole minute for the animation to finish

What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>59019953
Most of these points are outdated.
>>
>>59030972

If you're using some old ass single core machine you might have such issues, I myself do not. It runs just fine and performs as I require it to perform and after I upgrade to Kaby Lake at some point this year with an NVMe SSD it'll be even fucking faster.

Cold boots the VM in about 9 seconds which is even faster than a real Mac can boot it's own fucking OS so whatever.
>>
>>59030997
I'm using an i5 4460 and a 280x with 16GB of RAM. macOS VMs are only there so you can make USB installers for hackintosh.
>>
>>59015423
It's shit, because no Pascal gpu support for my hackintosh.
>>
>>59016251
>t. I never used ChromeOS but I'm le funny troll
>>
Coming from Linux I actually like MacOS, just install brew and you'll be able to install most of the software you are used to from linux.
The UI is accessible, the system is fast, the hardware is well worth the money I think.
But those keyboard-shortcuts. Jesus. I had to fucking google how to even use the pipe-symbol. You need like the most retarded shortcuts to be able to program if you use a language that relies on a lot of special characters. You get used to it, but damn.
>>
>>59015423
It looks nice, but it seems pointless to pay for that OS and be tied down to specific hardware when you can just make your Ubuntu look like pic related.
>>
>>59015423
I can't dual boot it on any of my machines.
So as far as I'm concerned it's shit.

>paying arm and leg for a computer that will only run one OS properly
>>
>>59031035

Like I said, it works fine for me, iTunes can even play back videos in the VM without any issues or lag or other problems and all I've got is the damned Intel Sandy Bridge HD3000 GPU going for it.
>>
>>59031088
looks like mac os, cool, good job
>>
>>59031129
There are exactly three reasons why people buy Apple.

1) It looks nice and is a status symbol.
2) They're computer illiterate and want something simple.
3) They need certain Mac-only software for graphics design/audio editing.

Since 2) and 3) don't really apply to most of /g/, the ONLY reason anyone here buys a Mac is for its looks both in terms of hardware and software.
>>
>>59031164
I buy macs because Xcode won't run on anything else.
Also the finnish of the product is so much superior to literally ANY PC.
Also magnetic power plug. Why other manufacturers don't make magnetic plugs is a fucking mystery to me.
>>
>>59031204

Xcode runs just fine with macOS virtualized.

>Why other manufacturers don't make magnetic plugs is a fucking mystery to me.

Because Apple got a patent on the idea long ago, simple.
>>
>>59031204
Have you tried using xcode on a hackintosh? Just curious since I may need to use xcode soon to develop iOS apps.
>>
>>59031269
>>59031278

1st of all - OSX on a PC _seems_ to work but sucks ass big time. It's just so fucking slow.
Also, Xcode crashed when I tried to run it. Though, I tried it like 5 years ago. Maybe something changed since then?
Need good sources for OSX VMware appliance, so if you got any I'd appreciate.
>>
>>59031278
I tried it recently and it worked pretty well. I don't know if I would advise you to do it thought, because apple might ban your developer-account if they detect that you are running macos on a virtual machine.
>>
>>59030370
>There are free ways of doing that through third party software. In contrast, how would I do the fullscreen 2 windows side by side on Windows,
Super+(Left|Right) or drag to the side.
>or even put them on fullscreen at all?
Super+Up or drag up.
>Can't do shit about that.

>If you actually worked with it you would have find a way to make it work better for you
I work with it and having to fix design flaws is annoying.
>>
>>59031340

>Need good sources for OSX VMware appliance, so if you got any I'd appreciate.

- get Install macOS Sierra.app file using a real Mac
- convert the .app file (it's rather large, several gigs in size) to a proper bootable ISO
- install VMware Workstation 12 (or Player, but Workstation is just better overall)
- use the unlocker to allow Workstation to make use of OSX/macOS since it won't by default
- use the ISO to install/create a virtual machine
- install Xcode from the App Store when you're done
- code

You can figure it out from there, it's not that tough.
>>
>>59031372
Reading comprehension. I said fullscreen, not maximized. No window borders, no titles, no taskbar.
>>
>>59015494
I'd pick macOS over ChromeOS

>>59015589
Surprisingly there's not as much malware but you don't need to get pajeet anti-virus applications, but stupid people will get them anyways.

>>59015595
It's definitely not "equally shitty". Come back to me when you can do some actual work on a ChromeOS desktop without having to resort to a remote environment.

>>59016233
More like "uni student's mix of obscure BSD and other kernels Apple decided to merge".

>>59017176
>The App Store is riddled with proprietary and paid apps
Nobody uses the app store. It's not as prevalent as the app store for iOS devices.

>The majority of apps in the store are actually pretty shit if they're not paid
pajeet apps haha

>get the Xiaomi Mi Book
I didn't even know that released.

>>59030933
>gaymer neckbeard porno wallpaper
I really hope this is a desktop or something.

Anyways, what use does running macOS in a VM do for you? It's usually macOS being the host and then having Windows as a VM.

>>59031278
General consensus is that it will work.
>>
>>59015423
it's the best popular OS at the moment. linux with good applications and ui, etc. i installed it 3 years ago on my pc and it still works well.
>>
>>59031384
actually I wanted to use my kickass ESX cluster which unlocking/hacking is out of question, but I might try with workstation.
>>
UNIX that jest fucking werks, but is severely limited in user freedom.
If I could get it to work, my next laptop will be a hackintosh.
>>
>>59031269
>>Why other manufacturers don't make magnetic plugs is a fucking mystery to me.
>Because Apple got a patent on the idea long ago, simple.

Yup. And why they don't want to pay Apple for using this patent?
I wouldn;t think twice to buy a PC laptop with magnetic plug. Seriously. It could be $100 more expensive than with regular one and I would prefer it over regular one.
>>
>>59031447
Why would apple even allow other manufacturers to license and use the idea? They aren't particularly short on money and the plug is a selling-points, as you have said yourself...
>>
>>59031527
because Pecunia non olet
>>
>>59015767
It can, but only with developer mode on. With developer mode on, you've basically got slackware with a shitty UI.
>>
>>59015423
Probably honestly is good, but a lot of tasks are either so simplistic that they're complicated because it's a new way. OR you have to jump through numerous hoops to do things with your own computer. It does have plenty of advantages over windows like a working terminal, and programs are contained to .App packages.

I have a MacBook which I love but it runs Manjaro which is why I love it.
>>
>>59031603
Are you telling me you bought overpriced Apple hardware just so you could run a free Linux OS on it?
>>
>>59030370
>(fucking Unity)...
I've noticed that that problem seems to happen much more frequently on plugged in external displays (I use a laptop as my main) and in anything Chromium-based. It's my only issue with Ubuntu. There's a suggested fix I want to try but it involves uninstalling some of Ubuntu's catchall workarounds for different hardware and that seems a bit too drastic for me.

>>59031401
>pajeet apps haha
By definition, honestly.

>I didn't even know that released
Shit looks great. I've yet to find something similar at that size and at a comparable price. It's a shame that the only option to buy it for me is Gearbest. I know someone who bought a Mi4 off of there and it took forever to get shipped.
>>
>>59031630
I bought it "broken" on eBay for $200 so, yes.
>>
>>59017176
There's no window snapping but you can split screen pretty easily, drag one full screen window onto another full screen window. And don't use the App Store ffs.
>>
I was thinking of getting a Nuc and hackintoshing it. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
>>
File: dontbuyapple.png (1MB, 1274x672px) Image search: [Google]
dontbuyapple.png
1MB, 1274x672px
>>59015423

Overpriced pieces of garbage.
>>
>>59031390
F11.
>>
In one word: peaked.
>>
>>59030997
The reason macOS doesn't boot that quickly is because of FileVault. Before i used FileVault, it only took a few seconds, now I have to wait 5 more seconds after putting in my password.
>>
>>59016233
>hurr it's expensive so it must be bad
>>
>>59017176
This here.

Fantastic looking but absolutely obnoxiously absent basic functionality that's out of the box with both windows and linux. On the other hand you can have native adobe apps without Windows cancer so that may seal the deal for you. Personally, I returned the Mac because I couldn't get over the little things being gone. Linux with a Windows VM and passthrough will have to do.
>>
i havent used it since macos 9.
when i get my mac the first thing i am doing is erasing that dock.
>>
>>59015423
>honest opinion on macOS?
It's fine. Really.
>>
>>59015423
Good power management and reinstalling the OS is painless as long as you have wifi.
That's really it though. If I were using it on a desktop I would switch out for a Linux distro instead without a doubt.
I don't get what the hype was about at all
>>
File: 1483720905113.jpg (471KB, 1290x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1483720905113.jpg
471KB, 1290x1645px
>>59044413
>Good power management
>mac

Pick one.
>>
>>59015553
shitposting on anemic devices
>>
it only feels more intuitive and efficient in actual usage it is not
>>
>>59044458
>it only feels more intuitive and efficient in actual usage it is not
This was pretty much my opinion of it after using it exclusively for about three months as my home desktop OS (got it for my parents for CHristmas; I get my christmas shopping done early as shit, and coincidentally my old mobo died and I was too lazy to build myself a new machine until the following year).

I got to know the OS pretty fucking well and quite frankly it only has a good surface impression. Once you really get down to it, everything is a fucking chore.
>>
>>59016068
What's wrong with brew? You can also use macports and another one who's name I can't remember.
>>
>>59015589

malware free for 4+yrs
>>
>>59031164
I buy macs because they have the best power management. I get 10 hours out of my MacBook Pro when I fly internationally.

I'll need a new laptop in about three years. If Apple doesn't get their act together by then I will have to look at Linux laptops despite their shitty power management.

I run IntelliJ, eclipse, and then a bunch of server tools.
>>
>>59044640

> I get 10 hours out of my MacBook Pro when I fly internationally.

Only 10, eh? Wow, that's like... half what I get from my Latitude E6400 I paid $100 for.
>>
>>59044443
LOL ONE OFF XD

>>59044444
>>
>>59015423
Not worth the hassle to get it running on regular hardware and certainly not worth shelling out on an Apple product to use.

The only users who could honestly insist they need it is a video professional and that is their own fault for learning their trade on application limited to running on a handful of devices, 'legally' anyway.
>>
>>59015423

Love it.

> open lid. pow - instant wifi connection
> havent heard any fan noise in ten years
> no malware worries
> fucking sweet terminal, nearly everything I know from BASH just works
> stable af, have to reboot maybe once a year

Those new macbooks though - fucking insult - I won't be buying a new mac. I'm on Win 7 at work on decent Dell laptop and I'll prolly go botnet for next home machine. Fucking Tim Cook should be dragged around behind horses.
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.