[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux babby here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot.png (176KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
176KB, 1024x768px
Hey /g/. I'm a life long Windows user who just decided to put Debian on a live USB and try it out on my laptop. I know some people would say that Ubuntu or Mint is better for a newbie, but whatever. Any tips or tricks for a Linux beginner?
I think I'm having some hardware conflicts. The most notable problems are that my resolution can't go any higher than 1024x768 (stretched out to a 16:10 aspect ratio too, so that makes mouse movement a chore), and I don't seem to have any wireless networking. Of course my first thought is to install drivers, but I frankly don't know how. I tried to wanted to install a couple programs, but I'm utterly confused on how. The only thing I ever learned how to do on a Windows command prompt is cd and dir. Am I correct in assuming that you need the terminal to install the majority of Linux programs (To say nothing of drivers)? If so, I'm in trouble. I need some kind of Linux redpill, guys.
>>
>>59006832
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>1 poster
So the OP pretended to be a newfag with linux only to reply to himself with interjection copypasta and then reply to that with a "kek". What the fuck is wrong with you OP?
>>
File: 1481748010337.gif (726KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
1481748010337.gif
726KB, 446x251px
>>59007707
>>59006832
>>
>>59008062
>poster count didn't go up
w-what's going on
>>
>>59007707
Autism works in mysterious ways.
>>
>>59006832
what video card you are using?

if iGPU, what is your processor model?
>>
>>59008606
According to Windows it's an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. Probably some integrated thing.
>>
>>59007707
Oh OP, you gigantic faggot, we still love you.
>>
>>59008634
that thing is ancient so the driver should not be a problem, however it needs firmwares which are not on the liveCD because they are not free-as-in-stallman and debian actually gives a fuck about freedom. This might cause the nigger resolution and definitely the reason for no wifi

You might want to try these: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
>>59006832
install reactOS instead if you like windows
>>
>>59008685
Thanks, I'll give that a try
>>
>>59006832
su
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add this right after the word main
non-free contrib

Hit ctrl o ctrl x to save
apt-get update

To figure out what your wifi hardware is
lspci
or
lsusb
Since we've added non-free to repository we can now search for proprietary blobs.
apt-cache search X

Where X is realtek broadcom ralink intel.
I believe atheros is the only wifi hardware with open sourced firmware.
>>
>>59008722
>reactos
>install
>>
>>59008685
Hey thanks.

I downloaded debian stretch rc2 and when it prompted me for wifi drives i kekd and installed antergos instad. Might try the stable nonfree version.
>>
File: wifi.png (3KB, 287x57px) Image search: [Google]
wifi.png
3KB, 287x57px
>>59008765
I'm on Windows right now and I have the nonfree version of Debian downloading, so I can't.
However, pic related is what shows up under network adapters in the device manager on Windows.
>>
>>59008765
Alternatively, you may download and place the firmware in the root directory of a usb flash device and the installer will locate it during installation. The firmware should have a fw, bin, or img extension. The flash device should be formatted to fat, if comping from Windows. What this does is copy the firmware to /lib/firmware folder which you can do after installation if you are super user.
>>
>>59007707
he tried to bump the thread in an organic way but forgot to switch IPs
>>
>>59006832
I've been using Debian for about a decade. I'm not sure about the display issue, since I'm using two 4k displays right now. Have you tried tuning the display off and on again? Have you logged out and back in again? How about a full reboot? Have you even tried the display settings? Maybe your integrated graphics only support up to 1024x768 and your other GPU needs non-free firmware. As far as the wireless card thing goes, yours requires non-free firmware. Google how to install that. You need to sit near your router for a moment and plug in an ethernet cable so that you can download the required firmware. I installed Debian on a MacBook that has a broadcomm wireless card, so I needed to install a different firmware package. Identify the wireless card first.

To install stuff, you should never use root. I don't think Debian adds your user to the sudoers group by default, so if sudo doesn't work you can Google how to do that too.

Protip: when installing things with the command line, apt-get is usually not needed. You can simply type apt and it works the same. Examples:

Autism --> sudo apt-get install cmus
Normal --> sudo apt install cmus
>>
>>59008887
apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
or download this, extract it, and place the blob in /lib/firmware
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.83.5.1-1.tgz
>>
>mate
>>
>>59008989
Is the nonfree version of Debian still necessary then?
>>
>>59008990
What's the crash course rundown on flavor elitism?
>>
File: diagram.png (260KB, 941x540px) Image search: [Google]
diagram.png
260KB, 941x540px
Could I conceivably install Debian from a live USB onto an external hard drive? I drew a diagram.
>>
File: 1486845905578.jpg (56KB, 348x383px) Image search: [Google]
1486845905578.jpg
56KB, 348x383px
>>59006832
oh shit, he actually fell for the linux meme
>>
>>59009396
Thanks for the bump mang
>>
>>59009066
Not really. It's just an easier way to install if you have to use Wifi with blobs during install. After install you can change your apt sources to include non-free repos if you must
>>
>>59008990
What would you recommend instead?
>>
>>59006832
you should have listened to the advice
go to mint or ubuntu instead
>>
>>59009102
yes
>>
>>59009684
Why is that
>>
>>59009844
They're botnets.
>>
>>59009989
Aren't they open source?
>>
>>59007690

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>59010012
That's how people know they are botnets for a fact.
>>
>>59010030
I'm getting some mixed messages.
Should I be using Debian or not?
>>
Doesn't the poster count start at 0?
>>
I used Debian for years and eventually dropped it. Using it with a modern card and proprietary Nvidia drivers is an enormous hassle.

In theory, you should be able to simply use apt to pull the nvidia-driver package from the repos. Problem is, if you buy relatively new cards, your card won't be supported by the driver until the Debian repos reach a certain driver version number.

It takes goddamn forever for these drivers to go through Debian's QA process. For example, I purchased a GTX 960 when it was first released. Nvidia driver support didn't add GTX 960 support until something like 347.25 (might not be the exact version but just for the sake of example). The Debian Testing repos were way, way behind this version. Unstable didn't have it either. After a few months, Unstable finally got it. So I did the whole song and dance of pinning the repo, pulling the package from unstable, blah blah blah. Behold, it worked.

Problem was, eventually it broke. It was working fine before, but because of some technicality involving version numbers, the package maintainer cut off support. So my card wouldn't work at all. I think this was like a year later. After several MORE months the driver which supported my card finally made it back into the Unstable repos. From there, they didn't get to the Testing repo for several more months.

Meanwhile, in Mint, I had everything working in like 2 clicks. This was only like a month after I bought the card. Support was never pulled. Mysteriously, there was no driver version conflict and it just worked.

I actually really like Debian. Mint is full of bloat. I like that I can start fairly minimally with Debian and just add the shit I want. But because of its slow package maintenance process, you're using dinosaur versions of everything. Even in Testing.
>>
>>59010201
That's why I never bothered with debian and just used Lubuntu with a window manager. Everything just werked form the beginning or with minimal editing
>>
>>59006832
You should've installed Lubuntu instead. It actually comes with drivers and just works.
>>
>>59011099
I didn't install anything, I was just using a live USB to try it out. I'm in the process of getting ready to install it for real on an external HDD. I already have the Debian ISO on my USB. Honestly the biggest hurdle isn't finding the drivers, but that I have no idea how to use the Linux terminal. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out, since I really don't feel like downloading yet another ISO.
>>
>>59006832
Debian is great but i wouldn't recommend it for someone who starts with linux. The reason is that it has an strict policy regarding closed source packages (fedora is similar in this regard). There's a lot of hardware that uses closed source blobs to work but debian doesn't provides them, you need to add the non-free repo and install the necesary packages by yourself. Thanks to this it'll look like debian doesn't work if you use any piece of hardware that needs a non-free blob if you don't know this.

Thanks to debian we have user-oriented derivatives that doesn't have this kind of policies. Check ubuntu, it's flavors and ubuntu derivatives like mint if you're new to linux.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160828_162314.png (40KB, 446x199px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160828_162314.png
40KB, 446x199px
>>59009396
>being a living meme
>>
>>59011242
Well shit. Here I am about to install Debian, and I see how this could be a pain down the road. Are people just memeing when they talk about Ubuntu being a botnet? I mean, it seems like it would suffer from the same thing that happened to TOR, when it gets in the public eye a bit too much, you know? And plus, I still have no idea which to choose. Some say Ubuntu, some say Mint, some say Lubuntu. Do you have a suggestion?
>>
>>59006832

>loonix
>debian

wew
>>
gentoo funtoo is easier.
I need only to emerge debian-sources and linux-firmwares.
>>
>>59011401
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
File: image189.png (107KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
image189.png
107KB, 650x300px
>>59011293
>Are people just memeing when they talk about Ubuntu being a botnet?
Some time ago canonical included a "feature" in their "Unity" desktop that search automatically on internet when you type on the "dash" which is unity's main menu. One of the search providers was Amazon so each time you search in the dash it used to show shopping "suggestions". As you may guess canonical got a lot of backlash and IMHO it was one of the worst things they have done on top of being pretty bad implemented:
- It was activated by default (which was the worst part). In consequence It sends everything you type in the dash to Amazon by default.
- It used to make slower your desktop searches.
- While it was very easy to disable, disabling it also disables all the online search features, it was hard to disable only the amazon search.
- It's nasty to uninstall the "feature" because it's included in a package with other things you may want.
- Canonical said that they wanted to make the dash a place where you can "search for everything at once". While the idea is not completely bad it was clear they did this for the money and not to make their users life easier.

Also unity includes a link to amazon in their taskbar by default. The online searches are disabled by default since the 16.04 LTS so this is not a problem anymore but the package is still installed by default and the link to amazon is still there. While it's not nearly as terrible compared to what microsoft or google does by default on their products it certainly eroded a lot of the trust people used to have in canonical.

None of this is included in the ubuntu flavors like xubuntu, ubuntu mate, etc. which are safe to use in this regard. Unity has some great ideas but it's also far from being my favorite desktop environment despite the fact i like the layout a lot (you can achieve the same layout on other desktop environments). Even then i think it's not that bad and i certainly recommend you to try it, you may like it.
>>
>>59011242
>Debian is great
- too long life cycle for desktop
- rolling release testing & unstable frozen far too often and for far too long to compensate
- too short life cycle for servers
- too much social justice drama, consuming the few resources not having left for ubuntu

Debian used to be pretty cool. Now, it's just useless crap. Just get CentOS for servers and Fedora for desktops.
>>
>>59011579
>I mean, it seems like it would suffer from the same thing that happened to TOR, when it gets in the public eye a bit too much, you know?
Sure, any project which gets enough attention will be targeted. Precisely because it's impossible to create perfect code is because open source has an advantage: it allows anyone to look at the code for any reason and anyone can study it or improve it and share their changes. In this sense it may look less secure because an attacker can find flaws transparently. However at the same time the more people is involved with the development there's more probabilities for someone else to find the same flaw and disclose it and because the code changes constantly there's no guarantee the exploit you found will still work the next week.

That's also the advantage of linux distros which most of it's packages can be distributed freely, that way most of the security corrections are distributed very fast. Yes, we have cases like android where despite google doing their work properly the carriers often doesn't distribute the updates making moot one of the huge advantages of the open source most probably just to push an artificial programmed obsolescence. Android could be a pretty safe OS but sadly the software is only as good or as bad as the people who bundles it. Being open source doesn't mean you'll blindly trust it, check the record of each software provider of course. Still, most of the popular linux distros, including ubuntu, does this work properly.
>>
>>59006832
learn to use the package manager and learn to love the command line

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html

^^^Check this to learn how to into BASH
>>
>>59009396
>He doesn't understand linux and passes his insecurities off on anonymous image boards
>>
>>59011728
> And plus, I still have no idea which to choose.
Fortunately on the linux world you don't need to get accustomed to the idea that one size fits everyone even if most people who comes from windows may prefer to not have choices. Go for the most popular distros first. What it changes among distros is mostly how the packagers works and their policies, also the way to distribute software may change (update policies for example). But regarding open source software most of it will probably be available in one way or another, also most desktop environments are installable on most distros.

If you want to play safe i recommend you to try all ubuntu flavors first and then the most popular derivatives like mint or elementary. If you try ubuntu make sure to use the latest LTS version, not the latest version. LTS versions of ubuntu are usually very solid because they receive corrections a long time and you can stick with them for a good number of years. If you download ubuntu LTS make sure you're using the latest version of the installation media (16.04.2 in this case) because it includes updated hardware support.
>>
>>59011633
grats to fedora for getting mp3 support in 2016, maybe one day the official chromium package will support h264!
>>
>>59011809
Thanks for all the advice. Despite the agony of having to wait fort yet another torrent today, I decided I'll just jump in and install Mint. Ubuntu just seems like such an average choice for a Windows user. Hopefully that's a good compromise.

>>59011780
Thank you. I'll definitely read this.
>>
>>59011892
>implying Debian is usable without deb multimedia repo
>>
>>59011293
>Some say Ubuntu, some say Mint, some say Lubuntu. Do you have a suggestion?
In one way or another most people will try to lure you to their favorite distro and other may try to troll you trying to make you try DIY distros like arch or gentoo to give you the impression that linux in general is hard.

The reason to prefer a distro can vary a lot. Some people may prefer an stable environment that doesn't changes in a very long time with only bug fixes and others may prefer to have the most recent version of everything and don't mind fiddling with their OS. Some may prefer mostly vanilla packages and other may prefer distros that patches and tweaks the software a lot compared to upstream. Some may consider they know exactly what they want so they prefer a DIY distro where the distro doesn't try to guess what you want. Some maybe trust more the maintainers of a certain distro. Some people maybe was lucky with a certain distro because it's latest release was very recent and it included support for a certain piece of hardware which was still not included in other distros they tried.

My personal suggestion is to try ubuntu LTS flavors and derivatives first. Check what are the most popular linux distros first and try a distro that provides a long time support version that was released at least six months ago (usually the time that takes to stabilize new LTS versions).
>>
>>59011935
> I decided I'll just jump in and install Mint.
I think it's a good distro, good luck. Fortunately mint is based on the latest LTS version of ubuntu.
>>
>>59011633
>too long life cycle for desktop
Debian is used in other ambits aside from the desktop where something must work exactly as the first day with no surprises. This is why ubuntu is based on debian testing and this is why debian has multiple branches.

>rolling release testing & unstable frozen far too often and for far too long to compensate
Depends on your needs of course, the fact it's not suitable for you doesn't mean it's not suitable for everyone.

>too short life cycle for servers
It seems good to me but i may be wrong.

>too much social justice drama, consuming the few resources not having left for ubuntu
Would you mind providing evidence to backup this? I mean substantial evidence that involves a significant amount of the people who works on debian and that a significant amount of resources are being consumed on this?. Also, afaik the people who works in debian are not directly responsible of ubuntu even if some people may work on both projects.

>Debian used to be pretty cool. Now, it's just useless crap.
I beg to disagree but whatever floats your boat.

>Just get CentOS for servers and Fedora for desktops.
Those are good options too.
>>
Install Mint
>>
>>59006832
just use debian
>>
>>59011633
I'd just like to remind everyone complaining about long testing cycles, that Debian officially supports 10 different architectures, some of them in multiple flavors. Meanwhile, some of /g/'s favorite meme rolling release distros are starting to drop x86 for fuck's sake.
>>
>>59006832
If you want drivers to work dont use debian.
>>
>>59006832
Start with Ubuntu, KDE Neon, Lubuntu, Korora, Manjaro, or any number of other distros tailor-made for starts that ships with all the drivers out of the box for everything to just work.

Personally using Korora, it's based on Fedora and is pretty great.
>>
>>59014792
>rolling release distros are dtarting to drop x86 for fuck's sake
If youre talking about Arch Memex then sure.

Gentoo officially supports any architecture with a working C compiler.
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
>>59006832
>Ubuntu or Mint is better for a newbie
Mint is the best choice for a newbie. But who the fuck wants to be a newbie? I bet you don't want waste your potential installing a baby's distro. Just use Debian and learn your way to the top.

>Any tips or tricks for a Linux beginner?
Hell yeah, nigro... Search for "linux command line cheat sheet". Check out the pdfs and images. Thank me later. Also check out the /fglt/.

>my resolution can't go any higher than 1024x768
Maybe you'll have to install some drivers.

>I don't seem to have any wireless networking.
No doubt you have to install some drivers.

Also check out the #debian IRC channel at Freenode. It's great.
>>
>>59006832
Get your monitor's model and throw it at Google like that:

"monitor-model driver debian"

Get the name of the Debian driver and:
su
Password: the-root-password
apt-get install driver-name

That's it. The same with the wireless card. Get the card model or the chipset model and search for the Debian's driver and install it.
>>
>>59015466
Note that the reason why Debian doesn't come with some drivers available out of the box is because of its strict policy to only include 100% free software in the main repo. If your machine requires non-free firmware, you'll need to specifically add non-free section to /etc/apt/sources.list.

BTW, the very existence of this opt-in, disabled-by-default, non-free section is what triggers the fuck out of RMS, to the point of "wtf, I hate Debian now".
>>
Nice blogs guys.
>>
File: t3_5nh0ib.png (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5nh0ib.png
2MB, 3840x2160px
hello here is my desktop
>>
Linux Mint.
Also, Windows 10 is actually unironically very good for a live USB.
>>
>>59014792
Gentoo supports any architecture with a working c compiler.
>>
>>59010157
Debian is fine, but it's main focus is stability so use the strech repos for desktop use.
>>
>>59015330
>>59015990
Gentoo's "here are the sources, fuck off" is not exactly "support" in the sense of what Debian provides (making sure the sources build on each architecture, patching them if they don't, and making sure the resulting binaries are stable as in production-machine-ready fucking stable).
>>
>>59015795
That and the fact Debian has the audacity to host non-free software on their servers. Fucking RMS.

>>59006832
I'll be called a faggot but just install Manjaro, OP. It gives you the option to install non-free drivers from the install. you don't have to go fucking abound with sources.list or any other Debian fuckery. Just werks.
>>
I suggest Antergos minimal with openbox

It's bare enough that you can learn the 'low level' shit of Linux but, bloated enough to give a working and good looking environment right out of the box. Plus archwiki is one of the best.

If your laptop is new I also suggest using a VM.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.