[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low level game programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: amiga500.jpg (86KB, 933x378px) Image search: [Google]
amiga500.jpg
86KB, 933x378px
So I've always been interested in close to the metal game engines and I wanna develop a simple platformer.
I was thinking of doing it for the Amiga 500 as it was the first home computer we had, and it's still running fine.
How easy is it to get into it? Ideally I want to develop on my laptop and run it there, but also just copy it to floppy and run it on the real machine.
I've learned some MMIX assembly in a comp science class, and I think I'd be comfortable to develop a simple game in it.

Is it a horrible idea? Should I use another platform, or should I use C instead?
Please post any resources you might have. Also any vintage hardware related stuff I guess
>>
>>59005597
>I was thinking of doing it for the Amiga 500 as it was the first home computer we had, and it's still running fine.
Amiga or C64 is an excellent choice. In a very short time (we're talking weeks) you can learn how THE WHOLE SYSTEM works. That's fucking amazing IMO.

Modern game dev is next to impossible to learn from metal to top stacks in a year or two. There's just too much shit.

Best of luck OP.
>>
OP, you are looking for this:

http://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php

Enjoy.
>>
>>59005597
The Art Of Computer Programming books are all done in MIX/MMIX and you could easily use them to write advanced game algorithms on an Amiga500 if you so wanted.

Don't be intimidated by all the math in the first volume (and vol4b) you really only need Grade 12 Pre-Calculus to understand what's happening, or basic exposure to applied single variable calc class where they explain limits. Knuth will teach you everything else and you can also just skip the math if you wanted and directly try the algorithms.

If you're broke download the pdf (all other electronic versions are garbage, esp the kindle versions) on libgen.io but I highly recommend buying the books they're the best quality books you will ever find.
>>
Megadrive is easy , cheap and there are a lot of tools and resources available.
C and 68000 is comfy as fuck.
>>59006034
Closed source piece of hipster shit.
This is much better:
http://belogic.com/uzebox/index.asp
>>
>>59006166
You don't really want to get involved in generating video signals.

>>59005647 is right, the C=64 is wonderful to work with.
>>
>>59006217
You don't need to, at all.
The kernel does all the Job for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNJMJCeinI
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.