[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the cyber security degree become a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3001.jpg (720KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3001.jpg
720KB, 1000x900px
Has the cyber security degree become a meme?
>>
>>59003220
The bachelors certainly are. The graduates I've seen with them are idiots that learned Biba, BLP, and like 2/3 of the OWASP top 10. And have opinions on hash algorithms that they can't back up beyond "well, my professor said you shouldn't use sha1 anymore."

We have a guy interviewing working on his PhD. I'll have to ask whoever interviews him if he actually knows anything.
>>
>>59003220
Why not go for a CS degree instead a take a lot of systems-level classes?
>>
>>59003220
No, because it always was.
>>
>>59003357
CS is saturated.
>>
>>59003365
Explain.
>>
It's only a meme if you go to a shitty school for it. We have a 98% in-field job placement rate for cyber sec. Most of them end up making good pay right out of college by working for one of the many government contractors.

But you losers could never pass a government security clearence so yea, I guess it does seem like a meme to you.
>>
>>59003357
At least at my school, the system-level classes and security classes in the CS department were fucking jokes. The ones in the ECE department were good though.

I don't hold CS degrees with much regard for anyone who has graduated in the last ~5 years. Since the degree has become so popular, I've found that dumb kids hold back all the classes, so even the smart kids don't learn half the shit they should. And the dumb kids somehow all graduate too, even though they managed to learn nothing.

ECE seems to be mostly immune. I think because the majority of the dumb kids are afraid of hardware and just want to do web dev, big E Java bullshit, or the new meme, "big data."
>>
>>59003439
>your grads mostly work for gov
>gov netsec constantly getting shit on by foreign agents

yeah what a great school it must be lmao
>>
>>59003406
Security is one of the fields where experience matters the most, as cyber security is mostly throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks and a bit of mathematical background.
>>
>>59003475
That's called job security.

If everything was impenatrable, why would the gov ever need to hire them?
>>
>>59003439
Let me guess, a cyber security degree is part of your plan so you're getting butt hurt over the mere mention of it being a meme. Also, passing a clearance doesn't make you a special snowflake. You're still very common Anon.
>>
>>59003487
So certs would do with just an IT related degree for the most part.
>>
>>59003465
I can confirm I will graduate in a year and a half and I'm dumb as shit. I can't even program very well. I only know 4 programming language. Don't know how I've made it this far
>>
>>59003465
>ECE seems to be mostly immune
I'm in ECE. computer engineering seems to be mostly people who didn't have the grades to get into software engineering. Most of the actual software courses in my unviersity's ECE department don't teach you anything that would help in a real world scenario. It seems really hard to fail those courses; I've done several courses where I just didn't study for the entire term, then came out of the course with an 82-89%.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.