[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A serious question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1482145375805.gif (266KB, 478x369px) Image search: [Google]
1482145375805.gif
266KB, 478x369px
Would you work for a company that gives you great career opportunities and lets you learn and get mentored and apply your skills and knowledge and the pay is good,
BUT the actual business they do, while perfectly legal, is immoral and/or unethical (from your point of view)?

Like, would you work on a slaughterhouse being a vegetarian,
or for NSA while having strong anti-surveillance opinions with no intentions of being a whistleblower?
or as a backend programmer for a bank/credit company, knowing better than anyone how deceiving their services are?
>>
>>58998244
Maybe if I could find a path to work as a mole and take down the business that I hate.
>>
>>58998244
Is this a secret NSA recruitment thread?
>>
>>58998244
Yes, I really want to work for the DoD. I think privacy is a fundamental right, but I feel like to do anything about the nsa is too little too late.
>>
>>58998244
Sure, its not that big of a deal to detach yourself from your job. You can easily rationalize it as "hey, I'm getting paid"
>>
>>58998795
Yes, do you wish to apply?
>>
I sort of already do.
I work in a computer repair chain. It's a gigantic fucking scam, but I get to mess around with an infinite supply of hardware, run my own workshop, and if I break anything, I just call it a dead mobo and get paid anyway.

I've become confident in diagnosing and fixing nearly every consumer IT issue, within a span of a couple of months.

It's bretty good, but I need to get into something with better >career opportunities

>inb4 what are even skills applied
None. I have none.
>>
>>59000980
>charging grandma $75 to install antivirus with a "worksmanship guarantee"

I couldn't do it desu
>>
>>58998244
ya
>>
yes, because my morals are very elastic
as long as shit is profitable I can deal with initial discomfort and then I just get used to it, adapt
I also learned that slippery slope is real
>>
>>59001040
This is very accurate. We charge the equivalent of USD 85 for a year of Kaspersky.
Absolutely the worst part.
>>
>>59001040
>>59001158
Oh, and we're required to bother every single customer about it. It's pretty awful.
>>
>>58998244
If I can keep my health, yes. I have done some stuff against my morals/ethics.
>>
>>58998244
It depends on how dispensable my skillset is to them. If I'm nothing too special, they're just going to get some other guy to do it.
>>
How many of you can truly say that your job is morally right? If it's not right, it's wrong; therefore, most of us are already doing this on some level anyway (apart from the NEETs, of course).

And evil is usually at least partly optional, while the existence of those jobs is not. If you take an evil job, you can limit how much evil is done by that job.

Also, very few people are evil just for fun. Most evil is only done because of the rewards. Bankers will asset-strip companies to get bonuses, sure, but they wouldn't do it for free. Surely, then, money is the culprit. And doesn't that make you feel like people are fundamentally good, and only driven to evil by external factors?
>>
>>58998244

Yes. I just don't give a shit anymore.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.