[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2018 >people born in the year 2000 can post here >extracting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

>2018
>people born in the year 2000 can post here
>extracting compressed files is still slow as fuck

Why fuck everyone love 7zip and shit?

Its even slower than winrar
>>
>>58990161
>extracting 5GB files on the same hard drive
>WHY IS IT SO LOW HURR DURR

aren't a smart one, are ya.
>>
>>58990161
It's free, integrates with shell, and extracts all popular formats.

7z format I guess is slower, but probably offers better compression.
>>
>compression
You waste more time with the extract than the needed to download it anyways and yet scene groups keep splitting files in 50 rars and inside it its another fucking rar, why fuck is this shit so inefficient
>>
File: 1479811074132.png (225KB, 499x326px) Image search: [Google]
1479811074132.png
225KB, 499x326px
>>58990263
It has to do with data integrity, not compression efficiency. If part of the download becomes corrupted because of flaky internet connection or anything else, all you have to do is download the corrupted part and not the entire file. This used to be a much bigger problem in the old days before bittorrent was invented, but the scene is slow to alter their procedures.

Another reason for archiving is recovery records/parity. If the archive is corrupted, either due to bit rot or errors in reading from/to a media, etc, then you can repair the archive because it contains pre-calculated parity bits. They use bitwise XOR, just like the parity function in a RAID setup. So it's actually a really robust way to ensure that the files will stay intact for decades to come, when being stored for a long time and being read and written many times over.
>>
File: 1455954739054.jpg (39KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
1455954739054.jpg
39KB, 500x343px
>>58990718
The really clever thing about bitwise XOR, is that you can recover any part of a file up to the size of the parity record you include. So let's say you have a 1GB file and you include a 10MB parity record. Then you can remove 10MB of the file, and not matter where you remove the data from, whether it's 10MB at the end or chunks of say 67KB at random places in the file, you can fix those errors as long as the sum total doesn't exceed the size of the parity information. I for one find that to be really neat.
>>
>>58990718
>>58990779

Oh and I forgot the third and very important reason for why the scene archive files: error detection.

When they archive their files, the archives include a checksum for the files. So if the archive becomes damaged, the user is informed about the file being damaged because the software trying to extract the contents will throw a CRC error. So it's a very useful way of ensuring that silent corruption doesn't take place.
>>
Wtf is Linux? How do I install tinder on it?
>>
>>58990161
>tfw haven't received an archive from anyone in years.
>>
Oh you got nothing on me.
>running kids, middle schoolers, and high schoolers through a flight simulator
>"Careful, stay on the runway so you don't 9/11 into those buildings"
>"What's 9/11?"
I was never so disgusted in my life.
>>
>>58992239
>9/11 used as a verb
Cringe
>>
>>58992239
9/11 NEVER FORGET
>>
>>58990718
>If the archive is corrupted, either due to bit rot
>being stored for long periods of time
Im archiving about a terrabyte of files that are not usable right now but will be very usable in 10 years.

How should I store them?
Its several images that Im storing individually.

each image is about 7gb. Im storing them each in their own 7z archive and its 1 file output.
Should I break them up or does it not matter?
>>
>>58992881
I would switch to Winrar and use the RAR5 archive format.

Add a recovery record of at least 5%, larger if you can. Split the archive into chunks, the smaller the better really. Make sure you check "Test archived files", that way you can be certain the archiving went smoothly. If you're gonna store a copy in the cloud, consider adding a password, that way they are encrypted.

Store the files on many different media, and in many copies. With this you will be safe from any kind of bit rot and other forms of data loss out side of catastrophic total loss.

What are the pictures of?
>>
>>58993048
I was going to store them an two harddrives and stick them in a drawer.
I said image files, they are iso files of gaymes that armt capable of being emulated yet.
I downloaded a ton of stuff that I wanted to play and then outgrew xbox before I put a jtag into the thing. Ill want to play them someday, but due to their size, refinding them all online doesn't seem realistic, especially considering a few of them were nearly impossible to find a couple years ago and they were old then.

can winrar actually repair an archive like that?
good idea with the smaller files, should bitrot set in on one drive, the smaller archive that is corrupted may very well be intact on the other drive and can be brought over to replace the single damaged piece.
>>
File: 1463240875030.png (17KB, 1206x163px) Image search: [Google]
1463240875030.png
17KB, 1206x163px
>hes not using LZOP or xz
>>
>>58990161
>>extracting compressed files is still slow as fuck
>>58993870
>hes not using LZOP or xz

>not using Zstandard
utter-pleb-hating-recent-developments-tier
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.