[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Symbol_of_Chaos.svg.png (9KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Symbol_of_Chaos.svg.png
9KB, 220x220px
I'm 25, worked as a pizza driver for 5 years.
inb4 why; it's easy and the highest-paying skill-less job in my area.

I want a one-year plan to get me from a complete idiot to having a job working with Linux. I want to administer, or something similar. Preferably work away from users, but I wouldn't mind it too much.

I know a little bit about Linux, I've installed it on about half a dozen machines, I've installed Arch before with a tutorial, and I've dabbled with Mint, Debian, and Fedora. And I've avoided Ubuntu because it seems gross.
I know the basics of moving around the command line, and if I can look things up while I work I can install pretty much any program from the command line, and update, search in folders, etc.

I have some CBTNuggets tutorials torrented, I have a subscription to Linux Academy, and I'm ready to start studying those and taking notes.

I like computers, I like feeling like a wizard, but I've found conflicting advice on what to study. Do I go for a RHCE and RHCSA? Or Linux+ to start? What would best prepare me for a job?

I can't go to college since I already did and dropped out; I fell for the liberal arts degree meme when I was young and dumb. My mistake, and I'm paying for it.

Where to start, what certs to get, what can I accomplish with such a delayed start.
>>
>>58983920
Op here.
Forgot to mention that I do have a A+ cert, for what that's worth. Probably not much.
>>
>>58983940
In my experience, you go from helpdesk to admin to maybe Linux admin if you're good at it. Not pleb to Linux admin.
>>
There aren't many jobs for people with little experience in the Linux world. The safe option would be contacting a job agency and follow what course they have for Linux administration.

Not trying to be demotivating but certs are better suited as an argument for a salary raise. Experience is what really counts, even hobby project's count, especially if you can show uptime.
>>
RHCSA and RHCE are very worthwhile studying for. +9000 for these.
>>
>>58983920
> And I've avoided Ubuntu because it seems gross.
Remember: no prejudice. Every distro have its place.
> Where to start
In my case something like that was enough to get an entry-level job slightly below median wage without certs. Nobody is going to throw a novice like you to a production cluster.
>>
>>58984091
>There aren't many jobs for people with little experience in the Linux world.

Every new technology related position filled with trainees.
>>
Helpdesk > Jr. Sys Admin is fairly simple. RHEL, CentOS, Debian etc.

I can't recommend linuxacademy.com enough. Love their lab and server setup.
>>
>>58984429
>linuxacademy.com
is it free?
>>
>>58986361
3 months free if you do something that easily googleable. Don't be lazy.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.