[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is why I hate programming.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_1389.jpg (412KB, 1000x600px)
IMG_1389.jpg
412KB, 1000x600px
You ever notice you'll be hanging around bullshitting with a group of friends, or maybe you'll just be talking to one of your friends (hell, maybe you're talking to yourself) and they'll bring up what they just did in their field. "Yeah, we went and took samples at this lake for my biology class to study the effects of geo-thermic-tempulation (I made that up)" or "Yeah, I just got done studying some jazz chords and this is how this chord relates to that one, and why it works to play".

Then you bring up the very beginning of what you just coded, not even really describing what you did, just that you did it, and the eyes glaze over and silence arises. It's mystifying.

I feel like I'm fairly interested in a lot of things. I'll take a chance to hear about some geo-thermic shit, I play guitar so I want to know about some jazz chords, but I've yet to meet anyone outside of the programming world seem at all interested in coding. It's weird.

What I'm really trying to say is, when I finish something I've been coding for a while and I want to show it to someone in real life, I can't (I never made friends in the comp. sci. dept. of my school, those guys are the most socially awkward people ever). My friend can show me the song he wrote, or my other friend can talk to me about some work he was doing with physics and the Tesla coil he built himself, but damn if some code I write isn't worth the pixels it's held on.

I'm the programmer in the house, so whenever I say I'm coding they call it "1s and 0s" (indeed, my music major roommate and I even wrote a song about it called "Binary Blues"), "hax0ring" (we say that out loud). One of my roommate refers to everything I do as "buffering".

I don't know how to conclude this submission with anything worthwhile so I'll just do it here.
>>
>>58981620
>so whenever I say I'm coding they call it "1s and 0s"

It is when you code in machine language.
>>
File: pizza.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pizza.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>I never made friends in the comp. sci. dept. of my school, those guys are the most socially awkward people ever

So are you. Code yourself a noose, and loop yourself.
>>
OP, chord progressions are pretty much fucking magic too me. I bet you've confused melody with harmony as well. Stop being a fagloid and just get over it.
>>
>>58981620
Tell your "friends" to get fucked.

Find people in your CS department who aren't autistic but still know a lot about the field. These are the people who are at the top of their class and end up with top-tier job offers.
>>
>I'm the programmer in the house, so whenever I say I'm coding they call it "1s and 0s" (indeed, my music major roommate and I even wrote a song about it called "Binary Blues"), "hax0ring" (we say that out loud). One of my roommate refers to everything I do as "buffering".

Holy shit, get some new friends. This is cringy and infuriating.
Or you can also turn to embedded systems and do cool shit in real life so you can boast about it like your two retarded friends.
>>
Don't fucking bother talking to anyone about it, other than people on the same skill level as you.
You could say "I plugged in a flash drive and copied a file to it" and they'd glaze over and go "Blah blah blah there you are with your made up hacker talk, we all know you never do half that shit anon, you're just making it up."
On the other hand it's also just that most people bother pretending to listen or at least give you a chance to explain yourself, but programming's on a blacklist of shit they won't bother listening to.
>>
>>58981692
Fucking faggot. Clear voice leading is top priority.
>>
>>58981664
You're a fucking retard. Opcodes are represented in hex. Nobody fucking types 1s and 0s nore have they ever
>>
>>58981734
Like I fucking know man. All my roommates were musicians too seeing as I went to Loyola (has a great music school) and they all fucking said random voodoo shit and showed me their pedals on their board.

You know what I did? I soldered XLR cables for them, I wrote their HTML/CSS assignments, I made their band websites, et cetera. I did it all for their rich kid money.
>>
I don't bother talking about my hobbies with people because they're never on the same page as you.

What do you get when you talk anime with people?
>oh have you seen "show"
>no i haven't seen "show" but i did watch "other show"
>didn't watch that show show
>conversation stops

How about "coding"?
What is there to talk about?
>>
Just work on UI or apps. Everyone will think you're cool as fuck because that's something they can understand.
>>
>>58981751
>nore have they ever
>>
I'd like to remind everyone this is because of """nerd culture""" which was started by the shitty show Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>58981756
It's not like it's some mysterious dark art. If you look up the rules of counterpoint, it's pretty straightforward. Voice leading comes first, and the chord progressions will fall into place. This is getting off-topic though, so I'll stop here.
>>
>>58981848
Not sure they say stupid shit like "hax0ring" or "buffering" in this stupid show.
>>
>>58981870
No, please continue.
This board is shit and I would rather be wowed by music theory than have to post in another build thread.
>>
>>58981878
>started by
If they never started the stereotype it probably would be slightly more socially acceptable
>>
Computers are modern witchcraft to 99% of people.
What's worse is when idiot friends come to you asking if you're a hacker so you can hack their gf's facebook and see their private messages.
It doesn't even take a whole lot, they just have to associate you with the "hacker windows" on your computer.
>>
It's not surprising that programmers usually have a large circle of programmer friends.

If you're working on important things that other people don't understand, rest assured that someone smart will find them of value = you'll get paid well. Not having an immediate common ground to make small talk is a small price to pay compared to what you can make as a good programmer (employed, your own company, whatever you want).
>>
>>58981893
>He goes to a mailing-list for laotian mechanical computers enthusiasts to learn about music theory

Get your shit together.
>>
>>58981893
Typically, wikipedia is garbage for theory, but its page on counterpoint lists the rules in a step by step fashion. I'm not certain about music books for CS, but the Kennan Counterpoint text is fairly approachable. People gush over the Fux book, but it's frankly outdated.
>>
>>58981620
i feel you OP, data structures and algo complexity are facinating with the proper introduction. the fact is that the learning curve is too steep and it is beyond most peoples interest in the subject.
If you really want to talk about your work, you need to keep it high level -
>im trying to create a new version of mp3's
>im trying to speed up file sorting times
>im writing a new social media app.
things that people can relate to, even if you (unfortuntely) need to dumb it down considerably, will hold their interest marginally longer

keep working mate, remember your are learning to code for your own betterment.

>>58981664
>at a wedding
>chatting with some ex-army dude
>he asks what i do and i say network security testing
>he starts telling me how the army trained him to hack, top tier stuff, give him a port and your systems are his...
>ask him "what languages did you use"
>"binary"
>"oh-kay but surely you must have used some sort of higher abstraction lay..."
>"nuah just binary"
>"are you sure you dont mean byte code or hexede..."
>"binary"
>he then confirms his leet skills by reminding me that RAM stands for Random Access Memory
>>
>>58981893
learn about tonal harmony, train your ear (jalmus and ear trainer will help), you'll need a 61/88 keyboard look up craigslist (or whatever), learn about intervals and chords and learn your fucking scales and modes for every key

welcome, through hard work, you know music """"""theory""""""

leave counterpoint stuff it's advanced shit that won't help you before years (IF you eventually get it)
>>
>>58981797
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800
>The user toggled the switches to positions corresponding to the desired 8080 microprocessor instruction or opcode in binary

im not the guy your responding to, but i agree with him
>>
File: 1458930777452.gif (11KB, 500x500px)
1458930777452.gif
11KB, 500x500px
>>58981620
>having friends
I bet you have a girlfriend too huh fgt?
>>
>>58981760
I get this a lot. People are not usually willing to be open to try or experience new things. These people are usually boring. I usually give everything a quick look at least once to see if I like it or not.

But this happens a lot anyways.
>>
>>58981620
Hate is a strong word. Are you sure you hate something you are majoring in? Sounds like a recipe for failure.

Try making friends on the internet. Theyre people just like you.
>>
>>58982062
There are varying levels of difficulty within counterpoint. You're not going to begin by writing a 5 part fugue. A beginner starts off just writing melodies, and only that. Once they learn to craft a melody that takes into account smooth form, good variety, and careful resolution, then they move onto 2 part counterpoint, where they encounter intervals. After practice in that, they learn 3 part counterpoint, which introduces chords. And so on. As I said, it's not some dark art.
>>
>>58981897
big bang theory 100% did _not_ start the 'nerds in pop culture' stereotype.
>>
File: laughing bitches 1.jpg (80KB, 640x573px) Image search: [Google]
laughing bitches 1.jpg
80KB, 640x573px
>>58981620
>One of my roommate refers to everything I do as "buffering"
>>
>>58982150
they made it 100x worse
>>
>>58982143
>As I said, it's not some dark art.
yes counterpoint is a dark art
you know it is
>>
>>58982192
Okay, it is. Now sell your soul to the devil and get it over with.
>>
i make babby-tier harmonies on LMMS, can i join the cool kids club?
>>
>>58982255
Is LMMS's interface still trash?
>>
>>58982266
Yeah. I can't get FL studio to work in wine
>>
>>58982310
Shame. I'd use it more otherwise. I do the majority of my writing in a typesetting program and export to MIDI, then import in LMMS and tweak there.
>>
>>58982008
I can top that
>Mexican boss at a company I used to work for
>Started talking about computers one day.
>Viruses and hacks and stuff
>Tells me he wrote a virus
>What language did you use?
>English!
>>
>>58981964
To be fair to the guy, build threads are bottom tier /g/ content on par with "guys look at my meticulously tweaked anime desktop", "guys help me decide what smartphone to buy" and "guy do my freshman CS homework for me"
>>
>>58981760
>How about "coding"?
>What is there to talk about?
vim vs emacs
>>
>>58982588
>oh you edit code differently than i do
>i need to make this a point of contention and fight with them because they don't care nearly as much as me!!
>>
>>58981620
>the eyes glaze over and silence arises
They're probably distracted by your cum stained anime t-shirt, fedora, and terrible odor.
>>
>>58981620
Everyone can understand software on its user level, and that's easy to explain.

I think the difference between programming, computers and software VS composition, instruments and music is that when it comes to music, everyone has a rough, intuitive idea of how an instrument works, without knowing the details.

When you see a flute you sort of get that its about air passing through, same with string instruments, and so on. Now, with computers, that doesn't stand at all, perhaps because its still too recent in our culture. Of course it's more complicated than instrument, so that counts as well.

Where you have a "instrument + composition = music" relationship for music, the ideal and comparable relationship for programming would be "computer + programming = software", but for many people it's just " ? + ? = software". They know what computers are, but they don't have any clue as to what is going on at a smaller scale, hardware wise. Same for programming, its languages, its abstract and is completly unfathomable to someone looking in without any frame of reference, just like when you hear a foreign language for the first time.

So their equation is completly blank, yet they have a final result (software) that is impressive and seems like magic.
>>
>>58982504
pshh
>not writing your virus in latin, greek, or hieroglyphics
noobs
>>
Humans have been making music for thousands of years. You're being retarded if you expect people to understand computers as intuitively as they do music.

All occupations are not equally interesting, talk to an accountant sometime. At least yours will let you buy a house someday.
>>
as long as you're cool it doesn't matter what you study :^ID
>>
>>58982074
Nobody "typed" ones and zeroes for serious programming, though I am sure that some have for fun, after the hackers wrote the first assembler and fed it into the machine using punched paper tape that was a direct binary representation of the CPU opcodes on DEC's PDP-1.
>>
>>58981620
>One of my roommate refers to everything I do as "buffering".

Thanks, this made me laugh
>>
>>58983061
>:^ID
wtf is this face trying to do
>>
My friends do js, php, css and treat me the same when I talk about networking shit. Fucking faggots hate those guys
>>
>>58981620
Experimental, practical things are boring anyway.
Protip: If you can easily describe it to normies and have them care about it, odds are it's boring.
>>
>>58981620
>but I've yet to meet anyone outside of the programming world seem at all interested in coding

Because it's:

1) Boring as fuck.

2) Intangible.

If you want any sort of positive feedback, ever, from anyone who isn't *extremely* technical, then you'd best stick to that which can be immediately observed.

This will ring true throughout your career. Unless you bust your ass to get into a top company, on a team with top people, nobody will give a shit about your contributions. Maintaining the status quo is the rule, and you won't get so much as a "thank you" for checking in that backend fix that prevented eight bugs from crippling the business.

But hey, write some shit in Python that translates the HTTP logs into a cool, animated globe showing requests coming in from all around the world, and prepare to be toasted by the CEO at the next company meeting.

Make your shit dumb, accessible, and glossy if you want anyone vaguely normal to appreciate it.
>>
>>58983403
Have a mustache
>>
File: 10done.jpg (29KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
10done.jpg
29KB, 700x394px
>>58981751
>nor have they ever
>>
>>58981620
>I've yet to meet anyone outside of the programming world seem at all interested in coding. It's weird.

The issue is communication. You're unable to describe to people your programming projects in a way that's interesting to laymen. It would also help if they can relate to what you're working on. Most people aren't going to care about neural networks and hacking.
>>
>>58981923
I can relate so badly to this...
>>
>>58981620
If you wanted people to think your job is cool then you picked the wrong field. Everything you will ever have to say boils down to "I typed this instead of that" or "this text does(n't do) this." Nobody iteracts with anything but the front end so they don't have a set of experiences to relate to anything you say.
>>
>>58982504
> he hasnt created his own programing language that takes english input and translates it directly to machine code.
Are you even trying senpai?
>>
>>58982504
>>58983023
>too pleb to use ancient Sumerian
>>
File: 1474210241208.jpg (83KB, 520x403px) Image search: [Google]
1474210241208.jpg
83KB, 520x403px
>>58981620
Structural engineer here.

At work, we shove all you boring cunts in the basement to type your 1s and 0s.

No one cares about how you do it, just that it fucking works when we use it.

Its the same with us desu. Structures are usually back end, and architecture is front end. The difference is that we are designers and not gay autists who wank over data structures all day. We can have a conversation about form, art and the philosophy of buildings etc...

At the end of the project theres a 50 storey building to put your name on, not a coding comment to shitpost your furry desires where no one can see them.
>>
>>58981721
>>58981726

Hey /g/, can you help me find friends? I am a lonely anon stuck in 1996.
>>
>>58981620
When my wife asks what Im doing I start describing it in great detail until she full on isnt listening and wont even notice when I stop. Takes about 10 seconds.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.