[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best open source license to use /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 0805-softwarelrg.jpg (51KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
0805-softwarelrg.jpg
51KB, 300x230px
What's the best open source license to use /g/?
>>
the zlib/png license.
>>
File: 1482998897206.png (677KB, 800x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1482998897206.png
677KB, 800x2000px
>>
>>58980503
GPLv2
>>
I like MIT personally. Basically allows anyone to do whatever they want as long as the original author is credited.
>>
>>58980556
GPL is for literal cucks.
Can you imagine not being allowed to use the code you write in your spare time, while at work?
>>
>>58980503
GPL, obviously.
BSD if you like being cucked.
>>
>>58980576
>you write
You're the copyright holder. You can use the code however the fuck you want, even if you GPL'd it.
>>
>>58980589
Perhaps, but if you contribute to a large GPL project, then it might not be practical to use anyway.

There's literally no reason to even learn a GPL-licensed library; learning competing, more permissive licensed libraries, will make you more employable. GPL just makes you a looser NEET.
>>
>>58980649
We're not all cuckolds here. Please don't push for that shit.
>>
>>58980649
I work for a pretty major software company and we're not allowed to use any open source software on our core platform without miles of red tape, but Gpl code is absolutely forbidden. The red tape for other licenses is due to the fact that open source could weaken our defense patents.
>>
>>58980556
This is factually inaccurate. Nothing prevents a company from taking GPL code, modifying it and using it in-house without giving back shit. As long as they don't distribute the modified program, they don't have to distribute the source, in which case the original author is still getting cucked.
>>
GPL has stifled progress for long, but luckily it's dying.
>>
>>58980503
There is not "best", you use whatever is suited for the software you are writing. Most people tend to use GPL for personal projects and MIT for libraries and commercial software.

The GPL license is copyleft, and basically means that anyone that redistributes your code with other code, they must also follow the rules of the GPL. The AGPL is a version of the GPL that also covers software that does not redistribute your code, but uses it from an external source (such as an apt dependency). The main purpose of this is to stop your code being used in proprietary projects.

The MIT license is great when you want to share your code as a library, because everyone can use it however they want to.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.