[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CODECS WARS NOW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

TECHNICOLOR FILES PATENT INFRINGEMENT LITIGATION AGAINST SAMSUNG

> Technicolor (Euronext Paris: TCH; OTCQX: TCLRY), a worldwide technology leader in the media and entertainment sector, announced today that it has initiated several patent infringement suits in Germany and France against Samsung Electronics, across a range of Samsung products, including mobile phones and digital televisions.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/02/15/917545/0/en/TECHNICOLOR-TECHNICOLOR-FILES-PATENT-INFRINGEMENT-LITIGATION-AGAINST-SAMSUNG.html
>>
>>58977102
The graph continues to the right.

netvc replaces all the old shit, and ends an era of proprietary video codec bullshit.

On the audio front, opus beats the crap of other lossy codecs, whereas flac is king of lossless.

It's over. Bye bye proprietary crap. Good riddance.
>>
>>58979230
I haven't heard any progress on the Daala front in ages. What the hell is the timeline for that?
>>
>>58979313
Xiph always sucked for video, I don't even bother anymore.
>>
>>58977102
Explosive chinks in suicide watch
>>
>>58979427
But Daala is supposed to be involved with Netvc.
>>
>>58979793
samsung is korea so they are gooks not chinks
>>
>>58979230
Yet the vast majority of people and devices still use MP3, with Opus support practically nonexistent.
>>
>>58980115
I've been using vorbis for at least 10 years for my audio, and haven't had any issues with it. At the bitrates used for transparent lossy encoding, I don't think there's a big difference between Opus and Vorbis.

Either way, the point is giving people alternatives to proprietary crap, not necessarily market dominance, as nice as that would be.
>>
>>58979313
Daala has been in constant progress, but most of it's fruits have been adopted for AV1, using VP10 as a base
Last comparison of pure Daala I saw it was beating HEVC, you can check arewecompressedyet
>>58980115
Opus is supported on pretty much anything that's not completely cucked or old device
>>58980642
>At the bitrates used for transparent lossy encoding, I don't think there's a big difference between Opus and Vorbis
There isn't much difference, but Opus is faster all around too, and works excellently at any bitrate but sub-5 kbps
>>
Technicolor was color processing. WTF do they have to do with codecs?
>>
>>58980703
Maybe in the early 1930's, they expanded into all sorts of stuff since then, they done R&D in pretty much anything involved with audio and video
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.