[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so CS or Math?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: article-excite-edu-02.jpg (17KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
article-excite-edu-02.jpg
17KB, 336x240px
so CS or Math?
>>
CS _is_ math, albeit for brainlets
>>
>>>/sci/
>>
>>58976363
CS should be whole lots of math with a sprinkle of programming
>>
>>58976412
>>58976378
but it isn't. And yet it has a higher starting salary.

That's why I'm also seriously having trouble choosing.
>>
>>58976378
NO CS IN ANTIMATH, YOU MUST CHOOSE SIDE.
>>
Double manor bro. What I'm doing (Technically I'm only doing CS right now, but I'm gonna try and declare a math major next semester)
>>
cs is a meme major. minor in it and major in something else (cs is most useful when it is applied to do something else)
>>
>>58976363
If you specialize in the computational data analysis courses then CS has plenty of math. Many programs even have a track for this. Machine learning stuff is included.
>>
>>58976435
>And yet it has a higher starting salary
Did you Pajeet guidance counsellor tell you this?

Math PhDs get jobs as actuaries, Wall Street quants, and HFT coders. CS PhDs slave away 18-hour-days as startup serfs for $50k a year + stock options that are guaranteed to be worthless.
>>
>>58976566
>PhDs
Lol'd.
>>
Geophysics

Enjoy working with ganooh loonix, programing, doing math and physics, and having great job opportunities
>>
>>58976566
You aren't really clear on what PhDs actually do, are you?
>>
>>58976435

listen pal

just because u start studying it doesnt mean you can pick and choose your 'starting salary'

what the fuck

this is what schools make their students believe lmao

you can study anything really and end up with more money ... just be fucking good at it and go ALL IN

do you think this will be easy and you just come out as someone who produces more value than the salary he gets paid?!

how do you think that works?!

salaries dont fall out of the sky or are memes you can read up on line

you actually need to make the company more than what they pay you or else you arent worth hiring ... this is econ 101 dumbass

most of the time you make the company 2x,3x or even 10x of what they actually pay you
>>
>>58976704
so math, then?
>>
>>58976363
Real advice: it all depends on what school you go to and who you network/become friends/fuck with. The larger school will give you a lot more opportunities than the smaller school, but only if you can get into the major from the get go.

As for the CS vs Math, either major is fine. I know people that have jumped back and forth between programming and math jobs in their careers with either degree.
>>
>>58976363
CS isn't programming.

>>58976382
No, for advice, go to >>>/adv/
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>58976566
>mfw PhD in math
>any job I want
>$300k starting
>>
>>58976363
CS is the art major of STEM programs. So math.
>>
In math, you can be doing one of two things:
>Really interesting stuff, but not making money.
>Making bank, but you're not doing anything interesting.

With CS it's fairly easy to find something that's somewhat interesting and pays fairly well.
>>
>do you know basic computer hardware circuitry, compiler/os/language design, algorithms and data structures, networking protocols and sql?

do applied math

>do you not know any of that stuff

do cs with a minor in applied math and consider a double major OR do ee/cs

if you want to work for wall street and make tons of money by ruining the world indirectly then do applied math with a minor in economics
>>
>>58976363
Get a business degree and learn programming/math on your own
>>
>>58978817
>if you want to work for wall street and make tons of money by ruining the world indirectly then do applied math with a minor in economics
*applied math with a minor in finance

>>58976363
math
math is harder and you can apply for jobs that CS grads can take, whereas CS grads have a hard time applying for math jobs
>>
>>58976566
t basement neet
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.