[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will running Android without gapps result in better battery life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: gapps.jpg (19KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
gapps.jpg
19KB, 600x340px
Will running Android without gapps result in better battery life?
>>
Battery life will just be slightly better.

What gives you the biggest boost in battery life is turning off animations in dev settings, setting screen brightness to auto, and clearing app cache at least once a week.

Also more RAM will also give you a boost in battery life as things won't have to be reloaded much but this requires you getting a new phone so should be used as a last resort.
>>
>>58975162
How would one uninstall google apps?
>>
>>58976637
custom rom
>>
>>58975407
>clearing app cache at least once a week.
Why's that? Less work for a process each time it's activated?
>>
>>58976662
Internal phone nand storage has a write/read speed and IOPS limit. The more cache apps generate the more these resource are used when loading said app leading to slow performance and indirectly lower battery life. Clearing cache at least once a week reduces this slowly accumulating performance problem.

Not only this but as cache accumulate so does RAM usage when you load up the app which can cause shit to reload in other apps if you have less than 4-6GB of RAM.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170216-221411.png (99KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170216-221411.png
99KB, 1080x1920px
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro without gapps
>>
>>58977021
Running lineage 14.1 btw
>>
>>58976815
do i have to go through each app individually or is there something that clears the cache of all apps?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170216-162342.png (232KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170216-162342.png
232KB, 720x1280px
>>58977048
I've been using pic related for about a month. Not sure if this is the best but does what it says it does so I'm happy.
>>
>>58975162
The only thing that would reduce battery usage is the removal of GCM, but that uses heavy sleeping and tiny transfers (in the low KBs) to operate. Most people remove gapps to debloat the phone and prevent supposed ADM spying
>>
>>58975162
Yes. My nexus 5x could barely do 3 hours SoT when I was running stock. Now with CM and no gapps I can almost reach 5 hrs SoT before battery saver kicks in.
>>
>>58977249
That's probably due to an optimized kernel and CM's battery saving software, not the removal of gapps
>>
>>58977179
>play store
>>
>>58977048
I use SD Maid with the scheduler
>>
>>58977296
Why wouldn't google optimize the OS for their own device? Besides, Play services always used to be the 2nd or 3rd battery eater and they'd take up a couple hundred megs of RAM.
>>
>>58977324
well there is a cache cleaner on f-droid but last time I tried it It crashed and froze a couple of times. Playstore one doesn't, not sure if the f-droid one has improved or not.
>>
>>58977324
>he thinks that using APKs build by fdroid on their own servers is "safer"

If you didn't know, all APKs added to the play store are signed by the developer themselves. When the APK is downloaded it is then checked by the android system (in 5+) to ensure the integrity of the DEX files.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.