[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

looking to buy an e-reader because I'm constantly travelling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: s-l1600.jpg (80KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
80KB, 1000x1000px
looking to buy an e-reader because I'm constantly travelling for work and it annoys me to have to throw or give away a book every time I buy one.

What are my best bets? I know they are all quite cheap now, but I've also read there are differences in the stores. Which is better for variety of books, kindle or nooks?
>>
Kindles and Kobos probably have the best stores, but you can easily pirate most books.
>>
Probably Kindle, but what's the value of variety in the era of self-publishing? You need access to worthwhile titles, not a garden where 99% of the flowers smell of feces. There are countless ways to get at the stuff you're likely to want.

I say Kindle anyway because your local library system might do e-book loans through them.
>>
I bought a Kobo Aura One a month or is ago. It's pretty comfy tbhwyfamalam. Has integrated f.lux, whether a meme or not, feels good to me. Also ipx8. Has overdrive integrated into the system itself, so you can rent ebooks from library without having to plug into a computer.
Kindles seem fine, however if you're ever outside the USA, nothing works.
Also, kobo accepts more formats, so you can buy books from wherever, if that's your thing. With Kindles , you're stuck with mobi.
However, no matter what you chose, remember that ebooks can't into pdf for shit. So, textbooks and mangos won't work. Couldn't care less about mangos, but it would've been useful for school books on the go, so there's that to consider.
>>
>>58971908
>>58971923
> Implying you can't just rip the DRM off a shitty Kindle book and convert it to EPUB to read on whatever you feel like.
This applies to basically all book marketplaces except Apple's and works with digital loans most of the time (Haven't tried with Nook's shitty Friend Loan thing yet).

>>58970264
Get a reader with the features you want. I got a B&N Simple Touch because it was dirt fucking cheap ($30), rooted the thing, and enabled the built-in browser to access my Calibre Library over the network. Too bad it only has like 256MB of built in storage so I have to be swapping out what I have on it constantly (I'm too cheap to get an SD card for it)
>>
I got myself a pocketbook 614 unlike a kindle it can read almost any format of books you pirate
>>
>>58970264
Just torrent books on your phone retard.
>>
File: 144480593747697282.jpg (572KB, 2568x3530px) Image search: [Google]
144480593747697282.jpg
572KB, 2568x3530px
>>58974958
I was expecting a "just buy a tablet, retard", so at least you're original

OP, Kobos are your best bet if you plan on easily importing books in .epub format from other places. Amazon probably has the biggest library if you're planning on only buying from their stores, but Kobo's isn't bad either. Not to mention Amazon has a lot of books mainly because it's known to be easier to self-publish anything you want, so in terms of availability of real, good books they'll both be similar.

I also find the Kobo interface much better than Kindle's. I've had two Kobos, one Aura HD which I dropped in the toilet and right now I own a Kobo Glo. I still think they're the best purchases I've made in my life because I use them a lot.

Also, something I only found out a few weeks ago, comic books are very easy to read on this thing as well. PDFs are a bit harder depending on the formatting, but still readable, but comic books/manga from the Kobo store are perfect as long as you're okay with black and white
>>
>>58972842
It also runs on linux.
>>
>>58970264
Kindle + calibre to convert all the other formats I need. It displays PDF nicely desu. Also Manga on Kindle
>>
>>58970264

I have a Kobo Glo HD. It's adequate. The build quality is not the best as the backplate flexes for no good reason, given the heft and area. The touch response is not good. Overall the reader often seems to lag while the SoC is busy doing nothing whatever. I find using it to be a minor annoyance as it feels underpowered.

I have also tried a Kindle Paperwhite. The Paperwhite is far more responsive and I could find no flaw with it. So far as I know, the advantage of the Kobo line over the Kindle is better font adjustment and the ability to use EPUB natively.

With either reader, you'll find the free app Calibre to be indispensable for managing your library from your desktop. Calibre makes the problem of EPUBs on Kindle a moot decision as it converts formats quickly and in bulk.

>buy the Paperwhite
>use Calibre
>>
>>58970264
I bought a Kobo Aura about a month ago for the same reasons. Works great so far, battery lasts forever and easy to torrent books and drag and drop into the ereader.
>>
>>58972165
After rooting your tabletbookthing can you still access the online stores on a computer then download to the device? If so that sounds legit bc with a kindle the only "jailbrake" I see are for ba like screen savers it would still be locked with drm and ads
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.