[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Falling for the bootcamp meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: computer-programming1.jpg (180KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
computer-programming1.jpg
180KB, 500x334px
Can they really all be worthless?

>10k
>24 weeks long, 4 days a week at night so I can keep current job
>money back guarantee if I dont get a job in tech within 6 months
>people have been hired in the area - no big 4 obviously

I'm very ok with being a code monkey, it would be an improvement in my life honestly

talk me out of it (or into it)
>>
you can learn everything they teach you on your own

if you need someone to spoon feed you material, you're never gonna make it

save your money and just get a business degree, that sounds more up your alley
>>
> goes to bootcamp
> makes mediocre salary as shitty web developer
> gets laid off six months later

no shortcuts. go to a university and be a real software engineer
>>
>Coding camps...
You'll be competing in a dead, outsourced market. Most employers use bootcampers for the fuck of it, but fire roughly 99% of them due to incompetence. Real programming takes conceptual logic, and they won't teach you much at a boot camp, besides syntax and examples. My favorite thing about teaching bootcamps is when pajeet and his followers trade code and change the variable names to make it look like they did something unique.

In short, take that 10k and go to a community college and learn math and programming side by side, get a degree and take a secure job. When you're ready for the extra mile, go to a university. Just don't let your GPA get below 3.5. This worked for me.
>>
>>58965381
A lot of these "camps" have a deal with companies to hire you within their money back guarantee time period, then fire you after a while
>>
>>58965381
If you devote the same time you would for the classes to building a decent portfolio of projects, it will reflect better on you overall. You look ambitious, and hungry. To HR you tell them you for whatever reason it is now your passion. I agree with the other anon about going to CC, even an AA paired with this will make you better off. Even if you dont end up with an AA a lot of the classes on the way may get you certs (thats the final in those classes). At my CC you get your CCNA when taking one of the networking classes for example.

Take the alternative, go to bootcamp. You look like an underachiever right off the bat. It screams, hurr durr tech job = big monies, minimal effort needed, red flag for employers. This echoes the getting fired shortly after getting hired guarantee.
>>
People really will hire you with that as your qualification. Just make sure you find a good one, there's a lot of scams out there. Also the work will be shitty but you already know that.
>>
>>58965415
I think learning in a more structured, 'traditional' environment would be better for me than just trying it on my own though.
>>
Think of it as a certification, not as an education. If you're already smart and motivated you could just put the time in on your own and easily be more competent than you would have been after going through the bootcamp, but you'll have a tough time convincing prospective employers of that.

>In short, take that 10k and go to a community college and learn math and programming side by side, get a degree and take a secure job. When you're ready for the extra mile, go to a university.

This is a lot closer to what I'd recommend to someone with no actual background in the field. A formal grounding in computer science helps you not be an incompetent moron and gives you range. Take a databases class in college, you're qualified for a shitty entry level SQL job. Take a networking class and you can do shitty level 1 IT. Take a web design class and you can get a shitty web design job. Go to a bootcamp and you are qualfied only for the shitty web design job.
>>
>>58966184
I believe I have a realistic view of the 'education' I'd be receiving. I have no delusions that it's a CS degree or equivalent, but like you said, more like a certification.

I've seen the analogy: CS degree = architect, bootcamp = contractor

I'm cool with that, honestly
>>
File: 1486328276561.jpg (230KB, 634x950px) Image search: [Google]
1486328276561.jpg
230KB, 634x950px
>>58965381
>before bootcamp
Hardworking, smart individuals with basic knowledge of programming concepts, maybe with some generic scripting language like Python, has a non-CS STEM degree with some unrelated jobs after college, wants to transition to dev career for reasons
>after bootcamp
Shit ton of web dev and programming crammed down throat, polished resume, mock interview practice, live projects and a GitHub, negotiation advice, peer support, group meetups, referrals, direct experience pair programming with dozens of other people who become acquaintances, those acquaintances know you aren't a shithead and can potentially help you find a good job in the future

My experience going through one. You can always accomplish the same thing yourself. It's time you're paying for. If you're a shithead, a bootcamp won't unfuck you or fix your life. As far as I know, every single person had at least an undergrad, some had more. If you really do end up going to one, make absolutely sure they have a good reputation and a low acceptance rate. Contact past students and talk to them first.
>>
Just learn this shit as a passion hobby and you'll find that in 2-4-6 years you'll be able to apply to any junior job you want.
>>
>>58965381
Holy crap dude, I got a BS degree for $17500
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.