[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

explain domain names to me what is the incentive for a site

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: a5794bdec18cfd72d78180568fb2491a.jpg (744KB, 1000x798px) Image search: [Google]
a5794bdec18cfd72d78180568fb2491a.jpg
744KB, 1000x798px
explain domain names to me

what is the incentive for a site to add to the front of the domain rather than just after with a /

like sometimes their "store" page will be store.website.com

rather than website.com/store

to me as a user i always thought the / route was better cause you can usually remember it and style it specifically

like ESPN usually has espn.com/sportnamehere/pagehere so if you're looking for standings or todays scores you could easily type it and navigate there
>>
ping website.com
ping store.website.com

notice anything?
>>
>>58964059

so its entirely just to have different servers for each webpage?
>>
>>58964059
But, subdomains are usually hosted on the same server...
>>
>>58964107
it's not the entire reason, but it's a valid reason
there's also organizational purposes for multiple users sharing a domain, wanting their own sandboxes and root directories to play in
>>
>>58964107
Not all of them will be web servers. Mail servers, ftp servers etc.

It's also about marketing, normies won't type a / as easily as they will type a .
>>
>>58964116
That depends on the setup, should learn DNS if you want to get deeper into it.
>>
>>58964447

really?

the slash is literally right next to it, and also trying to remember the pre-domain with a dot is harder than the slash
>>
>>58964022
store.website.com is a different host (a record or cname) than store2.website.com

website.com/store nowdays is likely an MVC route to a particular piece of website application on a host. website.com/store2 is a different part of the application on the same host.

the "/ style" as you put it does not signify different hosts.
>>
>>58964573

so url's and domains are still basically just locaiton strings that we still use on our HDDs today?

will that ever change or would it involve recreating how locations are navigated
>>
>>58964059
>What is a proxy
You can quite easily point a directory to another server via nginx
>>
>>58964116
Not really, unless it's a very small website with little traffic. Do you think Google hosts their subdomains on the same sever? Nope. In fact, many times a subdomain will have an entirely different IP than the root domain.
>>
>>58964618
Domain names are just strings yes. They keep us from having to type the IP address of the website. Typing a bunch of numbers e.g. 192.168.1.1 is a lot more difficult for humans than typing google.com

That's the only reason why domains exist, just to make things easier for humans.

DNS servers simply provide a lookup for these strings. They translate the name to a number, basically.

So when you visit google.com, you're actually requesting a number e.g. 192.168.1.1

It's unlikely that DNS will ever change, much. There could be security improvements but the basic concept of translating domain names into numbers isn't likely to go away, ever.
>>
>>58964618
>>58964573
sorry one more thing I wanted to add as you asked the benefit of this scheme.

in the store.website.com example the owner of website.com can actually designate all authority for a "storedomain" subdomain to another entity.

this means storedomain.website.com is run by a completely different DNS admin than website.com and that storedomain.website.com can add customer1.storedomain.website.com and customer2.storedomain.website.com without needing further permission from website.com's admin.

this is what allows ANY DNS server in the world to say what IP is customer1.storedomain.website.com? the DNS server react by admitting it doesn't have a record for that host but it knows the root servers of the internet.

the conversation looks like:
Q: . who is the authority for .com? A: DNSserver222.
Q: DNSserver222 who is the authority for website.com? A: DNSserver444
Q:DNSserver444 who is the authority for storedomain.website.com? A:DNSserver777
Q:DNSserver777 who is the authority for customer1.storedomain.website.com A: I am and here is the address.

>>58964681
this is correct in my experience

>>58964719
the human ease for IP translation is just the replacement for hosts files. the delegation of authority is what makes the DNS system what it is IMHO
>>
buyitnow.please.help.fuckers.THEYREHERE.ohshit.thisisntthetldfuckyou.4chan.org/motherfuckingDOITFAGGOT
>>
>>58964835
your link is broken :)
>>
store.website.com << technically is a different website, which can be hosted on a different server and might have a different search engine ranking

website.com/store/ << same server, often the same website software, same cookies, transfers search engine ranking
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.