[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rebuilding a Macbook Pro off eBay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Macbook.jpg (237KB, 2300x1294px) Image search: [Google]
Macbook.jpg
237KB, 2300x1294px
Hey /g/, I'm considering buying a 2012 era (possibly not functioning) Macbook Pro for cheap off eBay, tearing it apart and building/modding it back up with new hardware, retina, ssd, expanded ram.

Anyone have prior experience, thoughts, discussion?

It's probably cheaper to just buy a Thinkpad, but I get off on rebuilding things and I think I can get it to work affordably.

My old laptop shit the bed and I thought it'd be a decent project.
>>
>>58962906
>Mac
Found your problem.
>>
>>58962906

I approve i did the same thing, now i have a mac with fast ssd bunch of ram and latest Macos for cheap
>>
Those old models are fat as fuck, huge bezel, etc. If you can pull it off for a low price I suppose it's fine, but otherwise you're better off just saving your McDonald's money and putting the investment toward a proper new one or a gently used but still working one.
>>
you won't be able to put the new display in the old housing, and the ssd speed will be limited

aluminum is also not the most resilient material
>>
File: 1457278139232.png (329KB, 873x518px) Image search: [Google]
1457278139232.png
329KB, 873x518px
>>58962906
Macshit is never worth it.
>>
File: Throbbing.jpg (46KB, 632x269px) Image search: [Google]
Throbbing.jpg
46KB, 632x269px
>>58962906
>I get off on rebuilding things
can't argue with that
>>
>>58963175
Probably will get a Thinkpad, I just like the build quality for how much money I'll throw at it.
Only plan to throw it in a backpack for work and use text editors.
>>
>>58963175
Both of these are ancient garbage, if you really think that $200 is a worthy pricepoint to be comparing then the issue isn't the Mac, it's you. Yes, the ThinkPad is the better 'investment', but you cherry picked a good value and compared it to a cherry-picked shit value. I can find way overpriced things on eBay, too--that doesn't prove shit.
>>
>>58963175
>>58963277
I should mention I picked up a new 2016 (manufacture date) MacBook Air for $600 shipped on eBay, so while it's not in your price range (get a job), it's still a fair price for an excellent computer.
>b-b-but for $600 I can buy this giant plasticky piece of shit with 3-hour battery life and which will break at the hinges in one year
ok
>>
I only have experience with pre-2012 macbooks but they were fairly easy to take apart and put back together. Apple's batteries have always been shit with expanding issues.
>>
>>58963295
>macshit
>excellent computer

Nice meme.
>>
File: 20170212171627_1.jpg (115KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170212171627_1.jpg
115KB, 1366x768px
>>58963277
X230 takes 16gb of ram and plays MGSV (2015) at 30fps. It actually performs better than the X240 and X250 both in terms of CPU & GPU, and can host an eGPU which later models have no expresscard slot for.

Just like say a Fuji X100, a pair of HD598s or a 2500K, there's really no reason to upgrade for 99% of use cases. At a certain point technology satisfies and the desire to upgrade is just artificially stimulated by marketing buzz.
>>
>>58962906
>buying a 2012 era
good plan
>(possibly not functioning)
bad plan
>Macbook Pro for cheap off eBay
excellent plan
>tearing it apart and building/modding it back up with new hardware
Are you Louis Rossmann because otherwise that might be a bad idea
>retina,
lolno this isn't a ThinkPad
>ssd, expanded ram.
Yes by God yes do this
>>
The only feasible way to buy a used Mac, is a refurb from Apple. Significant savings for a like-new, contemporary product, certified to work, with warranty.

Other than that, the used market for Macs, is terrible for buyers. I see 2008 13" MacBooks like mine still selling for $200-300. It's like the Honda tax.
>>
That one guy is going to come by this thread and tell you to buy the 2012 i7 13" MBP and honestly that is the best option

i5/i7 non-Retina 13" MBP is the way to go for upgradability
>>
>>58962906
I did it with a 2011 MBP. I use it as a shitposting machine. 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. It's ok I guess, but I wouldn't take it out of the house because I'd break it. Thinkpads are 1000x more durable, and they also run Mac OS X. I just changed the thermal paste for some Arctic Silver 5 and the thing still gets hot enough to burn me. Macs are garbage. Rebuild it, then sell it to a Macfaggot.
>>
>>58964130
I was going to write this

so: this
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.