[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would I use this piece of shit in 2017 when there is 99+

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

File: VimIsCrap.png (164KB, 1166x633px) Image search: [Google]
VimIsCrap.png
164KB, 1166x633px
Why would I use this piece of shit in 2017 when there is 99+ better alternatives ?

It's like using a flint to make fire when you can use a lighter. bullshit
>>
>>58959525
Notepad++ is libtard trash you nigger.
>>
Best although a flint requires more work, once finished there is a bigger sense of accomplishment.

Also, lighters have a higher failure rate and end up creating more work.
>>
>>58959525
Because you are a massive faggot
>>
File: plebian.png (91KB, 717x325px) Image search: [Google]
plebian.png
91KB, 717x325px
>>
>>58959550
>Notepad++ is libtard trash
[citation needed]
>>
>>58959525
Like it makes any difference.
>>
>>58959525
>Shilling disgusting alternatives to Vim
>>
File: 1793519653.png (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1793519653.png
35KB, 400x400px
Vim > *
>>
File: 197519763519763.jpg (80KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
197519763519763.jpg
80KB, 377x500px
>>
I use Sublime but Visual Studio Code is superior to Atom.
>>
Vim is a text EDITOR. If you are EDITING text, it is great. It's like using sed or awk except more intuitive.

However, people tend to confuse EDITING text with CREATING text. There, vim gets in the way.

The confusion between EDITING text and CREATING text has also led to vim users, who mostly edit their config files. thinking emacs is shit, because it's horrible for editing no matter how many fancy dingles it has to support creating.
>>
File: emacs_user.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
emacs_user.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
>>58959947
t. emacs pleb
>>
>>58959947
How does vim get in the way of creating text? Just simple stuff like a/A or o/O makes creating text less annoying than with non-modal editing.
>>
File: vimlogo.png (50KB, 605x606px) Image search: [Google]
vimlogo.png
50KB, 605x606px
>>58959525
Just don't use it maybe?

I see no advantage in using something other than vim.
I like vim over GUI because it's minimalist, don't need to use mouse (hands always on keyboard) and I see no disadvantage...

I do not understand why you have to ask a question "Why would I use this..."
Who's forcing you to use it?
>>
>>58960148
>Who's forcing you to use it?
Nobody.
But his autism is forcing him to be angry about things he can't comprehend.
>>
>>58960148

Our programation "teacher" (python) want use to use gvim.
And i'm not touching that shit (we also use ubuntu at the uni lel)
>>
>>58959525
>Atom
don't make me laugh
>>
>>58960038
The ladies call him "Perma-shocker"
>>
>>58960202
us*
>>
>>58960202
>programation
Also Ubuntu is a solid system, literally nothing wrong with that
>>
>>58960202
Do you comprehend difference between words of 'want' and 'require'?
And if different OS or program gives you difficulties to do tasks...
Maybe you should go work in macdonalds, it will be less painful for you.
>>
>>58960264
are you even trying not to sound like a complet retard ?
Ubuntu is litteraly the worst GNU/Linux we could use
GVim is also the worst text-editor to use for student that didn't even knew what Linux was before this year.
(I'm fine with GVIM, I could use it, but it's a waste of time. For me to learn it, and for the class to discover it, it slow us down just because a retarded teacher want us to use his retarded XIX century tool.
>>
>>58960398
>Ubuntu is litteraly the worst GNU/Linux we could use
You have no idea what you're talking about, trust me. Try doing your course in Gentoo, Arch or Puppy Linux.

>(I'm fine with GVIM, I could use it, but it's a waste of time. For me to learn it, and for the class to discover it, it slow us down just because a retarded teacher want us to use his retarded XIX century tool.
The idea with vim is: the learning curve is steep, but the end result is the best possible. As in, a programmer that dedicates a full year to using it will end up being faster than one that dedicates a full year to Notepad++. I wouldn't make students use it on a graphical environment, but it's not always a choice (ssh into server, command 'notepad++' not found).
Your plight is justified, but let's not go overboard and say it's a bad editor. It's just not good if you're learning it while you're also learning an entire new OS and language.
>>
File: balmuda.png (982KB, 1370x914px) Image search: [Google]
balmuda.png
982KB, 1370x914px
>>58959525
notepad++ is "computer science minor" shit-tier.
>>
>>58960398
>can't even spell
>thinks Ubuntu is the worst at ANYTHING you could be doing in uni
>still calls others retarded

Just kill yourself retard.
>>
>>58960521

Doing third year biology study, I just took a "introduction to code" option because it was an easy grade as I already knew Python.

>>58960483
According to your condition, I'm probably the only one in the class that would gain from learning Vim as I already know linux and python. But I truly don't see the point in using gvim instead of sublime/notepad/atom or any other IDE (Pycharm, IDLE)...

It looks ugly and not very practical :/
>>
>>58960398
I see now...
You're slow to learn, that's why you want to go on easy mode. Go to macdonalds, trust me, you'll love it.

New students being dumber and dumber each year...
>>
>>58960553
Sorry bro, but ubuntu is kinda shit tier linux in my opinion, why not use Debian ? Or Mint ? What's the point.
Also, I'm not a native english speaker
And sorry for the "retard" i'm kind of using it as any other words, it's not negative :p
>>
What does Vim do that any decent text editor with a built-in command line can't do just as well or better?
>>
>>58960577
it's not I want to go easy mode, it's just that I don't see the point of leaning Vim, when you have something easier and more practical ?
What are the pro's of vim over notepad++ ?
>>
>Atom
>Good
lmao k
>>
>>58959525
>why would I learn to cook when I can just eat shit from the nearby public toilet.

It's your freedom, sure.
>>
>>58960603
Again, no one is forcing you to use it.
In my studies everyone used eclipse, I've sticked to vim, guess what, no one cared.

Are you attention whore or something?

And I already did wrote advantages to ME vim over something with GUI.
>>
>>58960585
Well, I'm not saying that Ubuntu is GREAT(although I think it's better than Mint), but it's almost guaranteed that whatever the situation, there are worse options out there. Any rolling release distro for instance would be terrible for teaching, because there's no guarantee that anything will be the same as it was the last time you ran the course.

As for spelling, I'm not a native speaker either, but browsers come with built-in spellcheckers these days. I strongly recommend taking advantage of them to avoid looking like an idiot.
>>
>>58960635
Will correct myself before you misunderstood this post
>hurr durr, teacher asks us to use GVIM you retard!
I meant VIM/GVIM > atom, sublime, geany etc.
>>
File: vim.jpg (138KB, 680x511px) Image search: [Google]
vim.jpg
138KB, 680x511px
>>58959525
reminded me of this 'meme'
>>
What are some essential vim plugins?
>>
>>58959550
You have to go back
>>
>>58960596
Not a vim user myself, but I see most of the appeal being the ability to make quick edits in your terminal without the need to open another app window.
>>
Actual knowledge of technology is about more than memorizing today's latest memes I'm afraid...
>>
File: man_punching_laptop.jpg (99KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
man_punching_laptop.jpg
99KB, 1200x720px
>>58959525
>"""""""better alterntives"""""""
Have you ever used Vim?
Because if you have, then you haven't done it correctly.
>>
>>58959525
There's no reason anymore.

What's that, vimmen?
Your amazing vim keyboard shortcuts make you insanely productive? A functioning fizzbuzz program in just 15 minutes?
Wow. How ... impressive...!

You'll be happy to learn that can install a vim plugin in any modern editor or IDE to get that... "productivity"... from those keyboard shortcuts along with the actual productivity that the modern editors give you.

Also, why the fuck is Notepad++ on this list? That thing sucks and it always has.
>>
>>58959525
I only use Vim when I need to remotely edit some code in SSH.
>>
>>58960911
>hard to memorize

hjkl - movement
n + hjkl - move n times to direction (n is a number, not a letter)
i - insert (you can type now)
a - append (insert after character)
A - insert on the end of line
I - insert in the begining of line
:wq - write and quit

wew, my brain hurts
>>
I like Atom as I like to see what I'm doing live but holy shit is it buggy. What's with the save feature suddenly...not working?
>>
>>58959525
Vim is nice for small projects, but for large ones I prefer Sublime.

notepad++ sucks though
>>
>>58960881
If you're talking about config files and such, I mainly use the builtin editor of midnight commander for that.
>>
>>58959525
1. You never have to take your hands off the keyboard.
2. Vim is in the command line for when you don't have anything other than the command line to work with
3. It's universally installed in Linux distros. Meaning if you're some place where you arent supposed to be and you dont know what text editors they have you can amost always count on vin
>>
>>58961170
I think fedora doesn't come with vim anymore, not sure about ubuntu. Vi is guaranteed though.
I love how a 200kB (guesswork) text editor was bloat, but stuff like a severdal MB video player comes pre-installed.
>>
>>58961005
Not that guy, but I'm still legitimately confused on how Vim works. How do I get in and out of command mode? It seems to start in that mode, because it makes an error noise when I try to type anything.

I tried looking at the Vim FAQ and :help inside Vim, but nothing seems to be able to tell me.
>>
>>58960212
Underrated.
>>
>>58959525

>Atom
kek

> ST3
proprietary

> npp
windraw only

Now go back to Emacs.
>>
>>58961540
http://www.openvim.com/
>>
>>58959525
because modular editing and vim keybinds are vastly superior for EDITING, while being just as convenient for writing
>>
>>58961540
vimtutor
>>
Probably a small complaint, but DAE notice that Atom sucks up a lot of battery?
>>
>>58961772
As it opens up many processes and eats cpu endlessly I hould say that was excepted from the start (lets not talk about memory usage please).
>>
>>58961701
>>58961752
Ok, thanks, that helps. Why is the default tutorial such shit?
>>
>>58961170
Manjaro doesn't come with vim / vi / gvim :)
>>
>>58962008
what default tutorial? vimtutor is the default/official tutorial.
once you get your head around the concept of command and edit modes (and also visual/selection mode), as well as the general structure of combining commands (like c3w = change 3 words), you will find that you really like the way it works. The . command alone makes editing so convenient. There is actually a half-built plugin for Open/LibreOffice that lets you use vim-style modal editing, it's a little buggy and quirky but still makes editing other people's shitty documents so much faster. Part of my job description is proofreading the writing of illiterate non-native English speakers.
>>
>>58959525
But most lighters use flint to ignite the flame :)
>>
>>58962093
Ok, I meant the :help file. I didn't notice the tutor item in the list, so I guess that's partially my fault, but I'm not sure how I was supposed to know to run the vimtutor command based on that.

Compared to the emacs help, this is a lot more difficult to use for someone with no prior knowledge of the program.
>>
>>58960148
mouse argument is retarded, as you can use sublime/notepad++ (don't know about atom) without it
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.