[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech related sentences that trigger you >Oh so linux is like a mac?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: 02254903.png (10KB, 771x711px) Image search: [Google]
02254903.png
10KB, 771x711px
Tech related sentences that trigger you
>Oh so linux is like a mac?
>>
>>58956476
cuck
>>
>>58956476
>Gets triggered by sentences
We're hitting SJW levels that shouldn't even be possible.
>>
File: 1414563749665.png (965KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1414563749665.png
965KB, 1000x1000px
iPhones are much better than Androids
>>
GNU is literally a Unix clone you dingaling.
>>
File: NightmareFuel.jpg (132KB, 1824x828px) Image search: [Google]
NightmareFuel.jpg
132KB, 1824x828px
>>58956476
> hey anon, can you pass me a USB?

A FUCKING USB WHAT, CUNT? DRIVER? STORAGE DEVICE? EXTENSION CABLE? DO YOU FAGGOTS GO INTO STAPLES AND ASK FOR A FUCKING PAPER?
>>
>>58956476
>>Oh so linux is like a mac?
They're both Unix-like operating systems.

So yes, when you're comparing the three (windows, gnu/linux, mac) "linux is like a mac" is not false
>>
>>58956476
"like" is a broad term, but it is correct.
It is "like" a mac in the way that you cannot just run the same software as you can on windows and you have to use an alternative route for a lot of things.
>>58956934
Obviously sentences like that are just meaningless opinions that shuts down conversation, but does it really upset you?
>>58957006
why would anyone ask you to pass them a driver?
Social context is something most humans are familiar with, so unless you have a large variety of usb devices lying within your reach, it should be easy to estimate what they are asking of you.
And asking a sales guy at stables for paper is not unreasonable, he would probably just require you to be more precise, while he walks you towards the paper section of the store.
>>
>>58956476
>why do they put those black bars in movies? so much unused screen space, gotta stretch it to fit my 4k hdr tv

:^)
>>
>iPhones are better, you just don't know because you've never had one
>>
>>58957110
>so unless you have a large variety of usb devices lying within your reach, it should be easy to estimate what they are asking of you.

I work on a university helldesk, where we keep stocks of thumbdrives, external drives for the audiofags to dump their giant projects onto in a pinch, various spare interface cables and USB audio interfaces.

And yes, I have had to clarify, and yes, they have often meant an interface or cable. Considering we do indeed have terrabyte external drives and gigabyte thumb drives, context is everything.

Stop defending tech illiterate faggots.
>>
>>58956476
>can you help me fix my Mac?
>>
>>58957006
>>58957110
>>58957262
This has less to do with tech literacy and more with language usage context.

Since English allows you to use nouns to modify other nouns directly, it's easy to interpret "USB" as a noun like "apple" [apple pie], "bed" [bedroom] or others.
>>
>>58957262
Also,

>terrabyte
Did you ever see bytes in other planets outside Terra/Earth, you illiterate fuckhead?
*tera
>>
>>58957354
Do you go to a restaurant and ask for a food?
>>
>>58957374
What the heck are you asking for when you go?
>>
>>58956476
who the fuck says that
>>
"I like forcing weebshit into my thread on /g/, a technology board"
>>
>>58957372
I'm sure there's a few bytes sitting around in the rovers on mars, but I digress. That was a typo because I am literally seething with rage.

>>58957381
Well, when the waiter asks what I want, I sure as fuck don't reply with "I'll have food please"
>>
>>58957374
A better comparison would be asking for an "apple" when you mean "apple pie". And yes, people do this sometimes WHEN IT'S CLEAR BY CONTEXT. (The main problem >>58957262 narrates for example is that it isn't clear by context, since there are multiple "USBs" aka USB devices).
>>
>>58957354
So you're saying that you ask for "apple" instead of apple pie, and you pop off to your bed to reapply your mascara..?

It's quite confronting when you are so bluntly reminded of the retards you share a board with.
>>
File: Mightor.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Mightor.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>58956966
heheheh dingaling
>>
>>58957413
Weebs are just bronies without the ponies
>>
>>58957435
>It's quite confronting when you are so bluntly reminded of the retards you share a board with.
Yeah, specially when you need to explain "context" for a third time because an idiot didn't get it on the first.

>So you're saying that you ask for "apple" instead of apple pie, and you pop off to your bed to reapply your mascara..?
Protip: pay some attention to the way people around you speak. You'll be surprised.
This is specially common when the second noun is implicit due to, against, CONTEXT.
"I went to the market buy some lemon pies. There was none, so I bought apple instead."
Note how, even if "apple" [the fruit] is something you can buy in a market, there is no ambiguity it means "apple pie" in this context.

"I went from bed to main room" is a bit more ambiguous, but it still implies you're talking about a "bedroom" instead of your jizz-stained mattress.
>>
File: 1463673128127.png (4MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1463673128127.png
4MB, 3000x3000px
>>58956476
TRIGGERED

mac is a device
linux is a kernel

both have literally nothing in common

normies get out of /g/ REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58957803
Eh. Not as bad if you consider "Mac" and "Linux" as shortenings for "Mac OS X" and "a [GNU/]Linux distribution".

On the other hand, if you contrast both with "PC"...
>>
confusing upload and download

getting the name of a device wrong by using a totally different device

>points to desktop
>"hard drive"

sometimes they call it "modem". you're not even in the right room

mispronounciatin'
>Hi I need a rooter.
>Oh no problem I think you mean router.
>Yep I need a rooter
>We offer linksys, cisco, etc routers
>Kay let me look at the rooter
>>
Available for PC/Mac/Linux
>>
>saying gif with a hard g
>referring to an android device as "an android" or "a samsung" (do you call iphones "an iOS" or "an apple" motherfucker??)
>referring to a desktop tower as a "cpu"
>>
>>58956476
"last time I tried %s, %s was pretty buggy"
>>
>>58956476
it just werks
>>
>>58957996
>saying gif with a hard g
Yeah, sure. The acronym appeared first on a Romance language, or maybe Latin... then it arrived in English, right. So pronouncing it with /dʒ/ unlike native words like "give" is totally justified.

>b-but it stands for Graphics...
And yet the acronym wasn't present in Greek. And "graphics" has /g/, not /dʒ/.

>b-but the creator...
He has no rule over English language.
>>
>>58958040
i'm not sure what point you're trying to make
>>
>>58957290
this
>>
>>58958059
he's saying it has a hard g
>>
>>58958095
no he's not
>>
>>58958059
Don't try to prescribe usage of a language if you don't know how the language works.
>>
File: i hate you.jpg (15KB, 448x300px) Image search: [Google]
i hate you.jpg
15KB, 448x300px
>>58957006
>going to staples for paper
>not using a mid-sized regional paper supplier
>>
>>58958110
the historical origins of the words don't determine the modern usage of them unfortunately. probably a 3rd of people pronounce it with /dʒ/. i'm not trying to justify one way or the other but i die a little inside when i hear the hard g.
>>
>>58956476
That is an apt comparison.

a good response: Yes, they are quite similar, but a Mac is like a sealed black box, where a Linux-based computer is like a kit where we can swap parts with a wide range of free and open source software. 99% of the supercomputers in the world are running Linux.
>>
>Oh you use Linux? I used that once and it SUCKS!
>>
>>58957006
What are context clues, Alex?
>>
>I buy a new laptop every two years, why can't they make ones that last longer? Anyway this HP pavilion is great, right?
>>
>>58957029
based POSIX crew up in hurrr!
>>
>>58957262
You work at a helpdesk. You are the tech illiterate faggot or else you would be doing something better.
>>
>>58958209
I think OP's issue is similar to >>58957803, strictu sensu "Mac" and "Linux" are computers from Apple and a kernel respectively.

>>58958163
Well, it's not your fault if English orthography has such retarded rules that prescribe you need to consider etymology on the spelling, and there's a heavy tendency to ignore the "Romance rule" (see how many people spell "Portuguese" as "Portugese" for example)... but why bother? Each person practically rebuilds the language on one's own mind, so it's clear the usage will be different depending on the person.
>>
>Oh so you can program? I only tried that once before

>shows me some small batch file that opens some applications
>>
>>58956476
"Install Gentoo"
>>
>>58957932
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/router
>>
>>58957169
Makes me wonder why do black bars even exist? I saw them but never thought much about it.
>>
>>58957212

its actually true though
>>
>>58959105
If not trolling, they are there to keep proper aspect ratio when showing widescreen shots versus fullscreen.

If you were to go and get rid of the black bars you sacrifice a portion of the shot in either direction (fullscreen). Fullscreen keeps the ratio but you lose part of the shot. Stretching widescreen with black bars to fill the viewing screen would stretch shit and make it ugly as fuck.
>>
>>58959208
Not trolling. As I said, I never thought much about it. Thanks for explaining. Makes sense now.
>>
>>58956476
"drivers"

"daily driver"

"flash drive"

"drive"
>>
I sometimes listen to my music through my laptop's speakers. To be fair, though, they're great speakers. Also, I use my laptop while pooping.

>>58956476
Joke's on you for associating with normies.

>>58956934
I don't agree with that objectively, but I respect your opinion. I just think it depends on what kind of lifestyle you live.
>>
>Can you help me fix--
>
>Where are you going?

Doesn't even have to be a Mac. I just hate fixing shit because it puts so much pressure on your and if you don't know what's causing a problem, people go, "B-but anon, I thought you were supposed to be the techy nerd? Rite?" and I just hate that. The task of fixing shit is already frustrating on its own.
>>
>>58959671
>"Drivers" triggers you
Are you retarded? Do you not know what a driver even is?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.