[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is SLI / Crossfire not relevant for the moment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: sli.jpg (119KB, 620x268px) Image search: [Google]
sli.jpg
119KB, 620x268px
Since Winblows 10 and DX12, SLI/XFire can't be utilised anymore (until developers stop being lazy, which could take years if it happens at all)

At the same time, since graphics cards always get more powerful, and we now have a huge jump in manufacturing process, and HBM on the way, older games that can utilise SLI are less of a problem for the cards

Putting those 2 together, is SLI no longer worthwhile, because the only games that can utilise it are old enough so that one top tier card can run them fine, and new games that are more demanding don't benefit from SLI anyway?

Not looking to start a trollfest, want a genuine answer here
>>
You are correct.
This is how it's been for years now, SLI/CF has been dead outside of raw compute tasks for a long time now
Tons of continuity problems, consistency/timing issues, and lack of support.
Next time look it up first.
Sage
>>
>>58954685
There will be a point where the pci bus wont handle the throughput and the need for multiple GPU's will be common place.
>>
>>58954710
PCIe 2.0 x16 is more than enough for really any GPU on the market, there's not a lot of PCIe throughput really, and it's not likely to shoot up anytime soon
But if you are concerned, PCIe 3.0 is twice as fast as 2.0, and the upcoming PCIe 4.0 is twice as fast as that, and PCI/PCIe scales perfectly with the new standards
so I wouldn't worry
>>
So then I've been wasting my money on buying 2x 1070s and 2x970s and 2x670s?

Goddamnit....

Oh well at least I know now. No wonder I don't notice any difference
>>
File: 1466256962144.jpg (33KB, 360x507px) Image search: [Google]
1466256962144.jpg
33KB, 360x507px
>>58954725
>>
Also, shouldn't nVidia and AMD be doing something about this?

Surely it hits their profit when people have very little incentive to buy an extra card?
>>
>>58954749
That is all true though
GPUs don't rely on the having more than 16GBytes/s bandwidth to process basic rendering input data and export frames
I mean it's not the bus that's processing your graphics
>>
>>58954763
It looks cool and ignorant people assume 2 must be twice as good as one when in reality it's only 30% better if you're lucky, and only in 10% of programs if you're also lucky
>>
>>58954749
What's wrong about that post?
You ever seen tests of PCIe bandwidth affecting gpus? It makes your prediction look fucking retarded
You could handle 3 high end modern gpus off of PCIe 3.0 x16, shit AMDs been releasing single-slot crossfire cards for years
>>
File: 1287101370923.jpg (285KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1287101370923.jpg
285KB, 1024x768px
>>58954773
:3
You're cute when you explain the things to people that already know.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
>>58954805
>tripfag fell for it
>>
>>58954805
What you're not getting is that GPU performance isn't based on input bandwidth you're being a shit who clearly doesn't understand the understanding of clear data and shit, you look at page and stop and never come think that when you why do you think you have know anything here??
>>
>>58954685

The scaling just sucks way too much for the cost.

The only good use of multiple cards for near linear scaling is computation and rendering, which aren't even actually SLI/CF, just individual cards.
>>
>>58954805
??????
>>
File: 1286792797780.jpg (12KB, 279x267px) Image search: [Google]
1286792797780.jpg
12KB, 279x267px
>>58954816
Thank you for your input. Your data has been uploaded to our mainframe to be analyzed.
Pictuire related.
>>58954830
>you look at page and stop and never come think that when you why do you think you have know anything here
You have redeemed yourself young shitposter. You may continue in your thread unabaited.
>>
>>58954685
I don't think dual gpu setups were actually ever relevant when it came to playing games. In the past decade I can only think of a handful of games that were optimized to work with dual gpus. Outside of benchmarkings, they are a waste of money. And game devs clearly have no intention of dedicating more resources to make sli/xf work in their games when the people who run dual gpu setups are a very small minority.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.