[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silk Road Mystery Unsolved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: 1482393901962.jpg (39KB, 1024x564px) Image search: [Google]
1482393901962.jpg
39KB, 1024x564px
How did the FBI do that?

What USB stick did they use?

"To prevent Ulbricht from encrypting or deleting data on the laptop he was using to run the site as he was arrested, two agents pretended to be quarreling lovers. When they had sufficiently distracted him, one of the agents took his computer away and inserted a USB flash drive that cloned all the data on the hard drive.[20] Agent Chris Tarbell presented Ulbricht the warrant for his arrest."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Ulbricht
>>
>>58951962
>one of the agents took his computer away and inserted a USB flash drive that cloned all the data on the hard drive
How is that legal
>>
>two agents pretended to be quarreling lovers. When they had sufficiently distracted him, one of the agents took his computer away and inserted a USB flash drive that cloned all the data on the hard drive

I just don't believe this movie shit.
>>
Wat.
They used a stick that simulated mouse and key input so the laptop wouldn't lock itself.
There was no magic cloning USB stick...
>>
>>58951962
that's just media propaganda. in other article i read they pretending to be fighting and when ulbricht got up, he got tackled to prevent him to close his laptop. then some agent was circling the mouse to stop the computer to lock up.

probably the usb to "clone" the data was just a normal drive and some agent just dd it.
>>
>>58951985
It's actually a pretty clever way to clone the target's hard drive without causing a scene. Obviously they could have just jumped in front of him with guns drawn and said "put your hands up" so that he couldn't use a kill switch. Instead they were able to do it without causing much of a scene. Sure they had two agents pretend to argue with each other to distract him, but this way a crowd isn't freaked the fuck out by agents with guns drawn.
>>
It probably was one of those USB duckies that could load keyboard scripts on them and real quick gleaned for incriminating files in select folders and moved them to the on board storage.
>>
can you really get life for "money laundering, computer hacking, conspiracy to traffic fraudulent identity documents, and conspiracy to traffic narcotics"?
>>
I heard somewhere that they had a cute girl talk to him and then snagged it.
>>
>>58952184
you act like kill switches are common even today
>>
>>58952508

They made up murder conspiracies and obviously it was high profile because all these concerned mothers of 15 year old /b/ fags that bought heroin were on TV crying
>>
>>58951983
Exigent circumstances. Exception to the warrant requirement.
>>
>>58952836
Or they had a warrant....
>>
File: apple-macbook-2016-nw-g03.jpg (97KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
apple-macbook-2016-nw-g03.jpg
97KB, 775x500px
>>58951962
He wouldnt be serving life right now if he had owned the master race over here
>>
>>58952004
So a rubber ducky?
>>
>>58952952
Yes, specifically the "Bernie" ducky from ducky corps I believe.
>>
>>58952874
He wouldn't be serving life right now if the owned a functional brain after getting rich.
>>
>>58951983
They had a warrant. Are you slow?
>>
Fun fact: you can see Ulbricht's laptop in Washington, DC. It's on public display in the Newseum.
>>
>>58953118
hope that fresh cup of coffee he desperately wanted but was too busy to not bring his unlocked laptop full of incriminating data was worth it
>>
>>58951962

Actually, the retard asked a PHP question on stackoverflow relating to an error in his website. He logged in with his real Google account. Google then doxed him revealing his location. Dont use botnets faggots
>>
Was probably just one of those USB jigglers they sell to law enforcement, a dongle that pretends to be a USB mouse and keeps the machine from going to sleep till they can get it to the lab
>>
>>58953614
he made it so he only logs in from that specific coffee shop dunce
>>
>>58954042
it obviously worked great
>>
>>58952572
Why would they need to be "common"? The guy was running an international drug marketplace. If anybody on the planet should have had security that good, it should have been him. Unfortunately, he was a dumbass.
>>
>>58952184
He had his laptop setup where it would encrypt when he closed his laptop. You cant shoot someone for closing a laptop.

Necer heard anything about them cloning the HD though. I'm pretty sure in the documentary I watched they just tackled him and walked off with the laptop.
>>
>>58953614
>>58953622
>>58954106
https://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/silk-road-mastermind-unmasked-by-rookie-goofs-complaint-alleges/
https://wiki.freesideatlanta.org/images/3/3e/SilkRoad.Presentation.pdf
>>
>>58952184
>jumped in front of him with guns drawn and said "put your hands up"
you watch movies too much dawgz
>>
>>58954106
>Made millions of dollars
>"Ha he's a dumbass guys"
>I'm a neet loser that autisticly screechs when mummy doesn't get me tendies.

Wew....
>>
>>58956757
>Made millions of dollars

And? He then got himself caught by being a retard and is now going to die in prison. Who the fuck cares how much money he once had? I'd sooner be an autistic loser eating tendies (nice projection there by the way) than getting fucked up the arse by Tyrone every night for the rest of my life in a tiny cell.
>>
>>58952874
>>58953118
he wouldn't be serving life right now if america wasn't a dystopian shithole that chose to persecute him like he was fucking Pablo Escobar
>>
File: nice.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
nice.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>58956757
>Net worth: $28.5 million (at time of seizure)
>Years active: February 2011 – October 2013
>Criminal penalty: Life imprisonment without possibility of parole (29 May 2015)

I'm sure those two and a half years of squirreling money away, and not getting to enjoy any of it to avoid suspiscion, will totally make up for the fifty to sixty years of life he has left that's going to be spent in a cell.

>Imprisoned at: Metropolitan Correctional Center, New York
>Prisoners are assigned to ten separate, self-contained housing units, resulting in little movement within the facility
>it has been widely reported that MCC New York is severely overcrowded
>Numerous high-profile individuals have been held at MCC New York during court proceedings, including Gambino crime family Bosses John Gotti and Jackie D'Amico, drug kingpin Frank Lucas, Ponzi scheme mastermind Bernard Madoff, terrorists Omar Abdel Rahman and Ramzi Yousef, and weapons trafficker Viktor Bout.[5] In January 2017, after being extradited to the United States, Mexican drug lord Joaquín "el Chapo" Guzmán was housed in the facility

Wew indeed. Sounds like a great place to spend the rest of your days. If only we were all as smart as Ross, we could be there too. :(
>>
If it got to that point it's only a matter of time. dPR fucked up his opsec
>>
>>58957981
You want to spend your life getting skull fucked and arse raped daily?
I can think of far nicer places
>>
>>58958257
>I can think of far nicer places
i don't doubt you for a second.
>>
>>58951962
Didn't they find him because he used his IRL email on the server?
>>
>>58960109
No. There was php code on the server that matched PHP code on a stackoverflow post, which had an email on it that had also been used on a forum somewhere else and this forum somewhere else had his real details on it.
>>
No doubt the data was obtained illegal by some others means, and the "huhh duhhh super secret usb cloner lol" is just a load of bollocks to legitimise an illegal arrest.

End of story
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.