[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M.2 PCI-e

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1472006770341.jpg (26KB, 479x358px) Image search: [Google]
1472006770341.jpg
26KB, 479x358px
I dunno if /g/ is the place for this, but I want to build a thing.

Basically I want to figure out how to build a PCI-e M.2 adapter, I've seen x4 cards that house 1 or 2 M.2 cards, usually with the second hooked up to a SATA port.

What I'm looking to do, however, is to figure out how that works, then scale it to x16 so I can mount 4 x M.2 cards.

Once I get it working, I can look at things like raid configurations, however the first step is simply to get the cards mounted and showing up individually, whereby I can set up a software RAID0 or RAID10.

I'm a software engineer in a hardware engineering team, with access to pretty much any equipment I'd need, short of the chips such as PCI-e bridges.

So how about it, anyone know how to go about it, or even have a card on hand that I can take a closer look at?
>>
Bump?
>>
Why not ask the team you work with, or are you in the remedial school team?
>>
>>58952939

I have, the lead electrical engineer has asked for high-res images of an existing adapter card. His team is under the pump hard at the moment, so I'm trying to reduce the amount of his time I waste to a minimum so I can use him more during the physical build of a prototype.

If I ask too much of him I'll end up having to trade favours in the form of giving him more access to my software guys, and they are already overburdened after I lost my best guy.

Plus I'm trying to do as much as I can without someone holding my hand, learning more on his side of the house can only make us better at working together on our joint projects - this is as much a learning exercise for me as anything else.
>>
File: squid_left.jpg (201KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
squid_left.jpg
201KB, 1000x664px
>>58951811
>>
>>58953207
https://www.thedebugstore.com/squid-pcie-x16-m2-ssd-sku-086-01-fs-16.html
>>
>>58951811
This shit already exists.
>>
>>58953253
>>58953207
That's mighty expensive, but exactly what I want kinda.

I just need to step it up to NVMe support and PCI-e 3. Thanks mighty neckbeards.

I wonder about raid too, though I guess I'd take NVMe over RAID
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.